Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bushing Kits???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Bushing Kits???

So I'm not quite sure what these bushings do.. or if their worth even getting.

I've heard good things about TWM Performance and they make a cable bushing that is made of a metal that is self lubricating..

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/

Do these bushing kits make a big difference?

Thanks for the help guys,
Mitch
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUY THEM!!! you will not regret it! All I could find on them is good things. I bought both the base bushings and the cable bushings, cable bushings take about 15 minutes to install, base bushings take about 30-45 mins because you have to pull the center console. Still super easy to do and the shifting feels so much better. It feels more solid and less mushy and the gears pop into place when you get anywhere close to gear.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Good to hear! Is it true that the "bronzoil" cable bushings don't have to be greased?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I hear, some people say that they greased it anyways. I bought some all purpose lithium grease and was going to do it, but then never got around to it, and I havent had any issues, still feels super smooth. There was still a little bit of grease left on the shift cable piece from the stock bushing.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
BUY THEM!!! you will not regret it! All I could find on them is good things. I bought both the base bushings and the cable bushings, cable bushings take about 15 minutes to install, base bushings take about 30-45 mins because you have to pull the center console. Still super easy to do and the shifting feels so much better. It feels more solid and less mushy and the gears pop into place when you get anywhere close to gear.
I just purchased the Corsport bushing kits. I am going to be tackling both of them tomorrow. I think the cable bushing kit is pretty straight forward, but am kind of lost with the base bushings. I figured I would have to tear apart the center console, I'm just curious as to where they go once I get that apart, or will I see them once I get it out? Mainly, will I have to take the shifter assy out to replace the bushings?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The base bushing go under the shifter cage, so you have to pull out the Center console.
It will all be detailed in the instructions and doesn't take any more than 30 mins. After the center console is out, you will see the shifter assembly, and 4 bolts holding it down. You have to remove either 4 or 5 sets of wires that are kinda snapped into the cage but they pop off with a screw driver. Unbolt the 4 screws and the bushings go under there, you can't miss it.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got the base bushings done today. Thanks for the info disaster. Started on the shifter bushings last night, and after messing with them on and off for the last day, I've been forced to put the torn and tattered OEM bushings back in. Thanks to 6 Ohio winters, the metal insert that goes inside the bushing has completely welded itself(rusted) to the linkage on both cables. There is just simply not enough room to get any type of leverage and grip to free them, resulting in some cuts, scratches, blood, and vulgarities. Good times. Only thing I can possibly think of that would help would be to get a small torch(which I don't have). Only problem with that, is there are countless vacuum lines, and electrical wires very close in proximity to deter me from doing so in the near future. I'm getting married next weekend, and with winter once again coming, it will probably be next spring before I can attampt this again. Until then I get to play with a less than ideal shifter. I do not recommend nor do I look forward to that! Good luck to anyone who tackles this and has been through a few winters.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man, sorry to hear, mine popped right out, but then again my car is less then a year old and I'm I'm California, where we don't get any snow. maybe try some.clr(calcium lime and rust).

Good luck
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought a little more about it last night, and I'm thinking about going to the dealership and ordering a new set of bushings. Once I get the new set, take the metal insert, measure it, and then bore out the Corsport bushing to slip over the ones that are seized on.

I might give the CLR a try to as one last attempt. As it sits right now, there is over half an inch of play in the bushings, just sloppy as funk. I'm not going to be able to deal with that for very long.