Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cheap=Best Axle Back Exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After having my xb for 4 years now I think i'm going to pick up one of the ebay headers for 50 bucks, some header wrap and a new cat back. I figure it's time to start throwing some parts on ole stumpy.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

oh absolutely do so! everyone loves exhausts, and headers add to them! be careful about ebay headers though. ive heard horror stories.

i also heard the ceramic headers sometimes like flake and powder into your engine.

sounds good, price for the strup? im going to college, so im going to put away the money and when i come back, ill work on the car, and ill have it installed. winter project!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i remember, i got mine for around 250+shipping.
i took mine to a shop to get installed (at the same time as my pulley as well) because i dont have the tools or know how to do those. the header i expect and hear is probably the hardest installation to do due to the spring loaded bolts and the tight fit between the engine and the firewall.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks evosky for taking the time to answer me. I have written a few vendors and a dealer in MD that I would drive up for installation, but no word back.

I think mines was $265 with free shipping at http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...dCategory=1453

Should I be concerned about the price diff between weapon r and obx? obx 125, weapon r 300??? I may go with the obx as it does look like a 421 shorty and cheaper.

Yeah, 400 bucks for something is like 4 college books. The two real performance items is a free-er flowing air filter and free-er flowing exhaust. Muffler at the least, cat back, then cat back plus header. I was going to do cat back, but I just wanted to make it a bit louder and keep some back pressure. Since the strup advertises an exact number of hp gain in a few ads, that sold the deal for me and the you tube clip.

You got to be careful with intakes and free flowing filters now a days. If they are over oiled they can give worse fuel economy than oem or read richer to the sensors. Also cold air intakes can decrease fuel economy as colder air demands more fuel to be injected, where as warmer air makes the system lean the fuel mixture making fuel economy better, but makes it leaner.

Since the filter is free flowing from the old paper elements I am use to, I have not bothered to replace it. I think next is a intake foam filter that curls up on the tranny and faces the exhaust to suck in warm/hot air for more fuel economy.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont personally know anyone who runs the obx or weaponR to say definitively ... i do know someone in the pittsburgh crew who runs a $50 ebay header, and he says it works great. as always, you get what you pay for. you never know with these things. i think for the weaponR, they want you to pay for the R&D and name brand. OBX i think copies a lot of designs and doesn't do as much of their own work, thus their lower price.

with pretty much any mod on any car, especially the xb, you can't go by the dyno numbers that companies put out. those are always best case, controlled scenarios at the crank with no load or they are exaggerated for marketing. this is just a generalization. for an IHE setup, you'll probably be looking at a 3-6hp bump at the wheels at most. on a good day.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Banned
SL Member

greddy A+
Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tough call. The obx looks like it bends slightly from y to the collector. The weapon r straight. The weapin r gives a hp rating, obx doesnt. Thinking I will go with the weapon r, like the strup muffler, I mean axle back it does give a hp improvement rating. Plus the same vendor sells it that I ordered my strup from http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idproduct=4026
Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

greddys like freakin' expensive! get that out-a here!

and i did a K&N air filter and just took off the snorkel. theres no real gain from a CAI or short RAM. i HEAR rams work slightly better AND make more noise to the engine, but really, i can save ALLLL that money and just take off the snorkel.

an exhaust is easy to put on, according to SL. saw a few ways on how to do it, not too hard!

and idk about header install. seems like a lot to throw down when you should do a RSB first, or HIDs. i did HIDs. sex much?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
oh absolutely do so! everyone loves exhausts, and headers add to them! be careful about ebay headers though. ive heard horror stories.

i also heard the ceramic headers sometimes like flake and powder into your engine.

sounds good, price for the strup? im going to college, so im going to put away the money and when i come back, ill work on the car, and ill have it installed. winter project!
??? Even if the ceramic coating odoes end up coming off, these are exhaust headers. If they manage to get in the engine there's more serious issues than them flaking since exhaust is supposed to only travel away from the block.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a greddy ti-c. it didnt cost me a crapload at all. and it's wayy more attractive than almost any other exhaust out there IMO. and yes, exhaust is like .. a 15 minute job. just get some liquid wrench, your hand tools, and you're set.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isnt the greddy the one with the two tubes? Thats too werid, I rather have the coffee can style myself.

I got the hid fogs, but want halogen lows, hid 55watt 3oook highs. Needless to say Ive spent my budget money this month.

Yeah, I am not doing anything with the intake, its quite large as is, however the muffler is much smaller in diameter.

I use to be a mechanic, I think the muffler just clamps on and you wrestly it off and new one on. The header looks like a lot of fun to install. I may see about a local sl member or shop.

rsb? I got the oem rke. Its a stick, so afraid about the remote startertaking off.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ProjectPerformanceRacing
greddy A+
greddys like freakin' expensive! get that out-a here!
don't worry, its just a noob tC guy trying to get his post count up to sell a CF hood.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^LOL
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cobb
Isnt the greddy the one with the two tubes? Thats too werid, I rather have the coffee can style myself.
greddy makes 4 or so exhausts for the box.
EVO2 is the most popular one and is ginormous.
then you have the DT, which is the one you're talking about with two openings.
there's also the SP2, which is a quieter model.
and there's the Ti-C, which i have, which i think is the best of all 4.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The muffler has shipped!!!!

Should I try to insulate the header? I Know they sell kits to wrap them. One thing I hate about this and the benz I use to drive is that after extended highway driving, when you slow down or pull off it dramatically feels cooler inside and if you are using the heater, you need little to no heat til you slow down.

Its like driving high speed for a sustained time the engine or exhaust heats the inside of the car.

If the dealer has a yellow, white or silver box, I would be driving one instead of the xa. Just not that many aftermarket parts for the xa. Cant blame them if it wasnt cool and notmany were sold.

Any idea what tools are needed for the muffler? I hate to lug my tool box to teh auto store or buy tools to install it in their parking lot. I am guessing a deep well socket, braker bar and torque wrench and maybe some zip ties for alignment issues. Maybe a large pair of grip pliers and a small hammer. What size socket?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are writeups in the tech section for installing the exhaust.
don't overthink it. it's literally like 2 clamp bolts and 1 hanger you deal with.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, actually, if you just do an axleback exhaust, which is just a muffler, then you need to take it to a shop. do a cat-back exhaust. thats the easy to install one!

and ill look up that greddy one. how much you get it for?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, actually, if you just do an axleback exhaust, which is just a muffler, then you need to take it to a shop. do a cat-back exhaust. thats the easy to install one!

and ill look up that greddy one. how much you get it for?
what?! axleback is just that. axle-back. like i said, 1 clamp and 1 hanger. why would you take it to a shop? dude, read up on what axleback and catback are. you're thinking custom exhaust.

my ti-c was 299 shipped.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah, my bad. then how do you put on a cat back?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well.... I looked, if this for an 08 xB or tC, I would be in luck. From what I can see it looks like a 12mm bolt for the butt clamp and a screw driver.

I just wanted to know what tools to bring to install it. I may see the shop for the header.

Originally Posted by evosky
there are writeups in the tech section for installing the exhaust.
don't overthink it. it's literally like 2 clamp bolts and 1 hanger you deal with.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-03-2021 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: Cheap=Best Axle Back Exhaust..