Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Dealer,pulleytips>>Now what!!! An INTAKE of course!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow darth nice find, but i think the key word here is, "The crankshaft pulley, IN GENERAL, is the harmonic balancer," weird they would use such a word, kind of denotes the sincerity of it doesnt it. what do you guys think in light of darths findings?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member

Here's how I see it.

As a Honda Tech, I've faced problems like this before. I've never denied warranty work, as long as the aftermarket parts don't wreak the area of concern.

For example... I had a 2005 Civic LX come in one day. The customer stated that his parking lights are always on. He kept asking the advisor if it was free because of his warranty. The advisor answered, sure because it's under warranty still. Well I took the car in and sure enough, his parking lights were stuck on. I peeked under the dash and saw an aftermarket alarm installed. I printed up my estimate, "at least 3 hrs for tear down of aftermarket alarm and restoration of factory wiring plus at least 2 hrs of electrical diagnosis". The customer had the choice to ok the job, assuming that his aftermarket alarm isn't interfering with the parking lights being stuck on. But what do ya know.. The customer heard about me finding his aftermarket alarm and took his car and left.

As to why I quoted at least 5hrs of diag.. I only warranty manufacturer defects, it's not my reponsibility to warranty that parking light issue if that circuit has been spliced into. I have no idea as to what extent the aftermarket alarm controls. So therefore, I was not only covering my own butt, I wanted to make sure the customer knew how serious of a problem he's got on his hands.

But that's just how I do things. Don't get me wrong, I've warrantied things just because the advisor told me to, even though I knew for a fact that I wasn't suppose to.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So guys in conlusion, i will be installing the pulley today, no question, i cant wait and you all have been a great help, ill be sure to post some pics of the install and tell you all about it.
Thanks, 112524
Old 08-05-2006, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IT IS DONE! After about 2 hours i finally did it, it would have been shorter if had the right depth socket for the damd p/s pump , damn thing almost brought me to tears when the one i had was to deep to fit in the space between the frame, (if your going to do this make sure to have a shallow 14mm socket for the p/s pump) after i went to get the right size socket I finished in a flash! tensioned the belts and i was off. Feels great, as if i was mearly floating in the car and it was pushin me along noticably fasster than before its sweet! The thing I did notice was the damd engine doesnt slowdown for me anymore, got to ride the brakes alittle more, which is not comprable to the gain i feel. It was a great buy and i must say that if anyone Ever wants to buy anything from Proshopxb(that is if he ever parts with anything again) I recommend him 113% hes a great guy and does good business. Thanks to all who help me, ill post some vids later.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Done metal! Go for it I say. I read your post and I think some of what you noticed, I felt as well. I noticed the engine does not decellerate as quickly too. I think that is to be expected the pulley does not rob as much power from the engine, so it does not restrain the engine. With less restrain it takes longer to slow down as well. As far as your braking, well of course you need more braking. You are going faster. Because the pulley puts more power to ground more easily, you natuarally speed up faster in a shorter distance so effectively requiring more more braking. I changed my pads in the front. It cost me like $35 bucks for VGX brake pads. They work great, the stock brake pads just suck! You will notice a big difference. Good Luck hope this helps. As far as the answer that DarthxB got.

We appreciate your inquiry into Scion. The crankshaft pulley, in general, is the harmonic balancer and it does dampen the vibrations.
There is no way I could believe a Technician wrote this answer. I am a mechanic myself. I have studied engine theory for a long time(long enough to have a degree for it). The crankshaft pulley is just that, a pulley. Our engine's our internally balanced. You can find that info here if you search or you get some tech data from Toyota. I think this is generic blanket answer they give to the customer service people. For those of us who are crazy enough to remove our pulley, if you look at it there is no balance weight. With no wieght attached what is it balancing?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metal112524
...i think the key word here is, "The crankshaft pulley, IN GENERAL, is the harmonic balancer," weird they would use such a word, kind of denotes the sincerity of it doesnt it. what do you guys think in light of darths findings?
I think it means the engine does not have a dedicated internal harmonic balancer, such as used on many large 4-cylinder engines. Evidently the little xB engine relies on the mass of the pulley to do what harmonic balancing it needs. Maybe the mass of the pulley is also eccentric to perform this function, and is located by the key.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... Evidently the little xB engine relies on the mass of the pulley to do what harmonic balancing it needs....
Like this thing on my motorcycle:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/207262996/
Old 08-05-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know much about the NZ engines but as far as most Toyotas, the "balancer" is actually a "damper." These engines are internally balanced with balance shafts. The rubber piece on the pulley is a vibrational damper. But torsional vibrations are just as nasty as harmonic imbalances.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question is what makes a motor internaly ballanced? I had a z28 350 bored 30 over. I had the whole motor ballanced. but guess what, you still need to put a harmonic balancer on it. I also had a Sentra Spec V, the motor had 2 huge ballance shafts in the motor. So the real answer is there is no answer yet. Just speculation. I did install a pulley so.....Whatever. The answer I guess would maybe to take the old pulley off and put it in a balancer. If its perfectly ballanced I would say its not. If it has more weight on one side then I would think it was a harmonic ballancer.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ Right on. Well I just went over to the shop I install the the factory pulley on our brake lathe. If this is a balancer they balance differently in Japan. It is not out badly but none the less not truely balanced. My pulley on the other hand spun perfectly. no wobble.
So yeah whatever.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the Install,

and the test run,
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=MVI_4862.flv
Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
... These engines are internally balanced with balance shafts.....
I did not know our little 1500cc engines had this. Are you sure?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the factory one is NOT ballanced to 0.00 when you spin it. That means its weighted, on one side. It would be weighted to counteract a equaly amount of weight the motor is producing during its spin.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

once someone has 50k miles on their lightweight pulley with no issues, I'll buy one.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i dont drive that much alex, lol
Old 08-06-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
once someone has 50k miles on their lightweight pulley with no issues, I'll buy one.
I put on on my car too.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

well i dont drive that much alex, lol
Sounds like you need to make a few roadtrips!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually ive had my car for 3 1/2 months and nearly doubled my milage roughly 4300 to 7500 and that was in one trip.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

holy crap. I have 8k miles with a 1 year old car.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually ive had my car for 3 1/2 months and nearly doubled my milage roughly 4300 to 7500 and that was in one trip.

Yea I have 2 05 XB's and mine has 11000 on it. And its 1 year and 4 months old. My wife I got hers June 2004 , and it has 30000 on it. 2 Trips from Cleveland, to Key West Fl, did not help!

Quick Reply: Dealer,pulleytips>>Now what!!! An INTAKE of course!