Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Dealer,pulleytips>>Now what!!! An INTAKE of course!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey its pretty simple and all, when I use to own an RX8...I had a Greddy Turbo kit installed and once i went to a dealership for a TSB because of a faulty fuel pump. I had to take it off which isnt overly that bad depending on what kind of mods you have but its just so they wont give you a hard time and void your warranty like that. Pulleys are really important, I suggest that if you have a lack of mechanical experience then maybe go find a friend that knows how to do it so you 2 could work on your car together instead of spending so much money at someones shop and all. Its really not as bad as you think but anyways, good luck
Old 08-06-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I think most of the dust has settled here. Vintage42 I think there is some confusion here. I really appreciate your input you have made some intresting points to consider for modding. I do not however agree with you compairing our little engines to the V-8 you used or to your BMW motorcycle(very nice by the way ). I think this is where the confusion is. The engine's you used have opposed piston's, without getting too in depth these engine's require balancing. The pistons are forced up and down away from each other or side to side. Our engines force the pistons up and down vertically. Yes this does cause vibration, but not near as much or with much less side to side motion. This is what a balancer tames. As for my spinning, the pulley's on a lathe. Yes the factory pulley was not spinning true, it was not however spinning irradically or ready to fly off. It was just slightly out, due mainly to castng imperfection's. Our factory pulley's are cast not forged. This too will make it so any wieght's would be external, as it is impossible to gauge and adjust wieght in a casting mold.

As for those of you who keep calling it a harmonic balancer or talk about the rubber peice on the pulley, STOP!!!! Learn something about the car you drive or stay silent. Yes I yelled a little, sorry. I just feel there is a lot of conjecture here that is completely erroneous. I hope this all makes sense. If not do some searching, it's the internet there is lot's of info, good and bad. Gather educated answers to topics. Engine's like everything else are becoming more advanced and more durable. They are also more restricted than ever. A little horsepower can be fun, I do agree however a lot of horsepower can cause damage. Becareful and read. Good luck and don't go overboard.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can a mod delete your comment?? neway....WELL DAMm i guess i do drive alot compared to you alex haha.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well as for the difficulty you do have to know how to change a belt is about it, having the right tools is everything. I did it on my own untill i didnt have the right depth socket and even then it was done rather easy and i consider myself to know absolutely nothing about cars.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I think Tim's comment is right on, he's just stating the facts, unlike some others who aren't.

Pulley is my next mod.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you hayalex. By the way the jack and jackstands are ready. The garage is ready too. See you soon.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what did u say alex?? it seems as if you missunderstood me. tim states the truth as it is my opinion as well. but i was asking in general do they do that cause i think they did on one of mine, well wht else i found interesting is how Fast the car revs up in Nutreul it crazy! go for it alex you wont be disapponted.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SO GUESS WHAT!?!? Ive had my pulley on for what now 2 days and i have a problem! for some reason there is a new noise, at 2100 rpms, id never heard it before and imstarting to thinks its my imagination but i hear a slight kinda rubbing. I dont even hear it every time, or in every gear mainly 3 and od, but to hear it i have to try and stay in that rpm, its hardly audible and its only at 2100 rpms, its not loud enough to be slippage its not highpiched, and i dont think the pin broke because everything else sounds fine. Could it be the key?? i think this is my best bet is that what im hearing??
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

metal I have never had a key problem. I do not have a Perrin pulley though. I did have a power steering belt noise, not the high pitch squeal either. Mine sounded almost like some tranny slippage. It would do this sometimes while at steady speed's in O/D or under light accelleration. Sorry I can't be better help on this, I might try the belt if it is not new, that fixed my situation. One thing I have noticed, is the Perrin pulley seems to have a more rough or matte finish and some times this will make noise till the belt and the pulley wear evenly. I know you said it's been 2 weeks, but how much driving are you doing? If not a lot then maybe that's it, give it some more time.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tim, I for one do not know if out pulley is a harmonic ballancer or not. but I do have a perrin one on my car. You are wrong on one aspect. I used to own a 03 Nissan Sentra Spec V. 2.5 inline 4 banger. This motor had ballance shafts on it to dampen the vibrations. So it needed to be ballanced. They made kits to take them off and free up 8hp. With them off the car shook for sure. Most people had to tie down the wireing harness to stop the vibrations from wearing the wires out from them vibrating against other parts. Whit this kit in place and the shafts removed. Motor life was downgraded alot. I sit on the fence about if its a harmonic ballancer or not. Untill someone can put it on a balancer and find out. Or the experts say yes or no. But I do not care because I installed a perrin on in my car.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Carr
.. Vintage42 I think there is some confusion here... I do not agree with you compairing our little engines to the V-8 you used or to your BMW motorcycle... The engine's you used have opposed piston's, without getting too in depth these engine's require balancing.....
I never had a V-8. I had a Mitsubishi 2.4L that had a balance shaft, and I think my Mazda 2.6L which a Mitsubishi design also has a balance shaft. All 4-cyl in-line engines have an inherent firing order imbalance that causes vibration. Smaller engines are isolated with rubber mounts. Larger engines are given weighted balance shafts that rotate in the opposite direction from the crankshaft.
Opposed cylinders like the BMW motorcycle and the Subaru 4-cyl are inherently balanced. The damper on the old BMW is to counteract vibrations from flexing of the crankshaft, which has no middle bearing.

... As for those of you who keep calling it a harmonic balancer or talk about the rubber peice on the pulley, STOP!!!! Learn something about the car you drive or stay silent....
Does the xB pulley have a rubber piece? So does the BMW damper !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/210109318/

The BMW rubber provides a spring effect that provides the damper feature. A solidly mounted pulley would not dampen vibrations. The rubber core compresses on vibration, transmits the energy into the mass whidh stores it, then harmonically rebounds to transmit the stored energy back into the engine 180 degrees later, counteracting the vibration.

Maybe that is what Scion Customer Experience meant by saying:
"... The crankshaft pulley, in general, is the harmonic balancer and it does dampen the vibrations."
Old 08-08-2006, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry if I was not clear. There is no rubber piece. And I apolgize, DarthXB had the V-8. But please keep in mind you still are comparing our inline 4 to an opposed V-2. Math and engineering still don't work.

Originally Posted by DarthXB
Question is what makes a motor internaly ballanced? I had a z28 350 bored 30 over. I had the whole motor ballanced. but guess what, you still need to put a harmonic balancer on it. I also had a Sentra Spec V, the motor had 2 huge ballance shafts in the motor. So the real answer is there is no answer yet. Just speculation. I did install a pulley so.....Whatever. The answer I guess would maybe to take the old pulley off and put it in a balancer. If its perfectly ballanced I would say its not. If it has more weight on one side then I would think it was a harmonic ballancer.

I say do what ever you want, that's why I bought mine. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry if I was not clear. There is no rubber piece. And I apolgize, DarthXB had the V-8. But please keep in mind you still are comparing our inline 4 to an opposed V-2. Math and engineering still don't work.

Originally Posted by DarthXB
Question is what makes a motor internaly ballanced? I had a z28 350 bored 30 over. I had the whole motor ballanced. but guess what, you still need to put a harmonic balancer on it. I also had a Sentra Spec V, the motor had 2 huge ballance shafts in the motor. So the real answer is there is no answer yet. Just speculation. I did install a pulley so.....Whatever. The answer I guess would maybe to take the old pulley off and put it in a balancer. If its perfectly ballanced I would say its not. If it has more weight on one side then I would think it was a harmonic ballancer.

I say do what ever you want, that's why I bought mine. Good luck.
I also stated that I owned a 4 banger with ballance shafts. Anyone know where we can get an exploded view of the inside of the motor?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks tim that sounds resonable enough but then if you told me "its alright its normal" ive only had it on for 2 days actually and hardly anydriving on it ill see what happens.ive never heard waht a tranny slipping sounds like so i cant compare but its so minor ill jsut put my a/c on and forget about it for a while. if it continues ill just check the key.
thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry if I was not clear. There is no rubber piece....
Are we sure there is no rubber insert in the xB pulley? Here is a thread that says the tC pulley has a rubber insert:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=pulley+rubber
Old 08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... you still are comparing our inline 4 to an opposed V-2.... .
I am comparing their dampers. Like the BMW, the tC pulley reportedy has a resilient insert to perform a damper function. The resilient material would provide the harmonic element of the device. What is the light colored material at the center of the stock xB pulley in this photo?
https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...ulley_0041.jpg

Are most people completely discounting Scion who said?
"... The crankshaft pulley, in general, is the harmonic balancer and it does dampen the vibrations."
I take Scion to mean that the xB does not have a internal balance shaft, but that the simple pulley is involved in this function.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... you still are comparing our inline 4 to an opposed V-2.... .
I am comparing their dampers. Like the BMW, the tC pulley reportedy has a resilient insert to perform a damper function. The resilient material would provide the harmonic element of the device. What is the light colored material at the center of the stock xB pulley in this photo?
https://www.scionlife.com/tech/image...ulley_0041.jpg

Are most people completely discounting Scion who said?
I take Scion to mean that the xB does not have a internal balance shaft, but that the simple pulley is involved in this function.
Please do this thread a favor and learn about your vehicle or stop writing. I am sorry if my credentials do not speak for themsevles. You on the other hand have offered lot's of irrelavant conjecture. The piece you speak of is Rust Look Closely!!!!!! Good luck!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and by the way in case you have forgotten, I have removed my pulley. I have held it in my hand and examined it closely. I suggest you remove yours or look closely at the picutre you posted, maybe then you can offer relevant advice. The center you bushing or rubber piece you speak of is rust. Also the damper is actually called a dampner. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats a washer, a rusty one i believe. Ha o i c tim covered that already ya mine was nice and shiny wOOp to the 06! any way ... to your other statment we drive XB'S!!! Staytuned for my intake post i finishe about 4hrs ago! damn this xb is sexy.

Quick Reply: Dealer,pulleytips>>Now what!!! An INTAKE of course!