Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY: xB block heater install

Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

so i have to plug this into the wall? just run an extension cord or something?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
so i have to plug this into the wall? just run an extension cord or something?
Exactly. just like pluggin in any appliance. and unless you can nudge your ride directly against a wall socket, you'll want to use an extension.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't measured it but that should be just right. I routed the cord along the existing wiring harness...it lines up just right...then jump off the harness on the passenger side of the engine cover and come out through the grill. It was just the right length...no extra but not so tight as to bind.

If you have concerns, double check the part #. Half of the cord should be covered with split loom (wire wrap) and half shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Bigskyscion, you are the ____in man! I did the install yesterday and the pics you provided were definitely the key to getting it done!
The worst part of it was just finding the damn hole to put the element in. A mirror is a must in this case as the hole was hidden behind a tube on the block. But once that was done, the rest went smoothly. AND i now know how dirty my air filter is! Unfortunately I didn't have the K&N I've been lookin for yet but at least I know what to undo to get air the airbox.
So, if you're ever in need of a tin of Tim Hortons coffee, I'll hook you up bro.
Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you got it done. It's always nice to be able to get something like that done yourself...Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great write up and DIY
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great write up and DIY
Old 12-21-2007, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Bump for winter! I'm gonna pick one up.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Okay, just grabbed one from here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213824
$42.50 shipped.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Burr! This thread is making me cold. lol
Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if this is an option for the 2nd gen xb? I never found the part locally for my old xa using just the part number.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Just to add:
it's SO MUCH EASIER to get the cartridge in when you take out the bracket holding down that hydraulic line on top of the tranny. You can see that line in the picture of the installed plug showing the wire going towards the firewall. The cartridge, as said before, it fairly long. It's just a 12mm bolt holding down that one bracket. The line has a flex line near the fire wall so you'll be able to move it out of the way just a bit so you can push your cartridge into the hole.

I had a real tough time getting it in without moving that bracket... and we're talking about small Asian hands here!

and yes, the Canadian part number is C0140-00885
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glitch
Just to add:
it's SO MUCH EASIER to get the cartridge in when you take out the bracket holding down that hydraulic line on top of the tranny. You can see that line in the picture of the installed plug showing the wire going towards the firewall. The cartridge, as said before, it fairly long. It's just a 12mm bolt holding down that one bracket. The line has a flex line near the fire wall so you'll be able to move it out of the way just a bit so you can push your cartridge into the hole.

I had a real tough time getting it in without moving that bracket... and we're talking about small Asian hands here!
I feel that 45 mins I spent looking for the hole was simply time spend getting to know my XB a little better.

What part of the frozen tundra are you in Glitch?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by p911gt10c
Originally Posted by glitch
Just to add:

I feel that 45 mins I spent looking for the hole was simply time spend getting to know my XB a little better.

What part of the frozen tundra are you in Glitch?
Oh, I'm with you about looking for the core hole. I was fairly lucky that I was able to work on the toaster in a nice warm lit shop.

and I reside where you do - Alberta. Edmonton to be exact. U?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM

What is the correct part# for use in the XB. Toyota sold me part#PU140-00900 and the heater fits but the wiring harness is the wrong orientation and does not fit. I have gone round and round with them about this and they say its the right one. I tried to get 00213-00885 and they said the part# they sold me is the same expect the cord is longer on the one they sold me.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ----inabox
What is the correct part# for use in the XB. Toyota sold me part#PU140-00900 and the heater fits but the wiring harness is the wrong orientation and does not fit. I have gone round and round with them about this and they say its the right one. I tried to get 00213-00885 and they said the part# they sold me is the same expect the cord is longer on the one they sold me.
Well, 00213-00885 is right since I used the Canadian version part number and it fit just fine. The dealer up here didn't have a block heater listing for the XB so he just looked up an Echo. And according to the DIY write up, 00213-00885 is right
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM

I guess I will have to tell the dealer I need one for an echo. At the dealership they had a cheat sheet with the XB on it and it says the right one is part# pu140-00900 but I know its wrong because I've tried it three times.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM

that's probably where the wires got crossed. If you google your part number, it comes up as a prius
Old 12-19-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ----inabox
I guess I will have to tell the dealer I need one for an echo. At the dealership they had a cheat sheet with the XB on it and it says the right one is part# pu140-00900 but I know its wrong because I've tried it three times.
jeez, if the dealer can't figure it out there's somethin wrong with them.
What year is your XB? THey should be able to get it right as the GEN1 XB's share the Matrix engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: xB block heater install

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.