Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY: xB block heater install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glitch
Originally Posted by p911gt10c
Just to add:
it's SO MUCH EASIER to get the cartridge in when you take out the bracket holding down that hydraulic line on top of the tranny. You can see that line in the picture of the installed plug showing the wire going towards the firewall. The cartridge, as said before, it fairly long. It's just a 12mm bolt holding down that one bracket. The line has a flex line near the fire wall so you'll be able to move it out of the way just a bit so you can push your cartridge into the hole.

I had a real tough time getting it in without moving that bracket... and we're talking about small Asian hands here!
I feel that 45 mins I spent looking for the hole was simply time spend getting to know my XB a little better.

What part of the frozen tundra are you in Glitch?
Oh, I'm with you about looking for the core hole. I was fairly lucky that I was able to work on the toaster in a nice warm lit shop.

and I reside where you do - Alberta. Edmonton to be exact. U?
I'm in Calgary. Been trying to get some local XB owners to get on this forum but no luck so far. I'd say there's about 12 to 15 XB's in town. Sadly, 5 Polar White one's, including mine, so I'm not so unique afterall
Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM

My xB is a 2005. I've been trying to find the correct part online but I'm a little nervous about ordering it and getting the wrong one.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-09-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ----inabox
My XB is a 2005. I've been trying to find the correct part online but I'm a little nervous about ordering it and getting the wrong one.
The block heater was 95.40$ from Toyota here in Calgary, part number C140-0085. If you order it from the US, the number will obviously different but the cost should be about half. Toyota Canada marks up the prices about 100%.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 PM

Default RE: DYI: xB block heater install

I printed off the install instructions and did the install today on my 05 xB - sweet!

Thanks so much for the info!

Tony from Wisconsin (It was 50 degrees today) :D
Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM

My XB is a 2005. I've been trying to find the correct part online but I'm a little nervous about ordering it and getting the wrong one.
Just as long as you follow the part numbers provided in the thread (ending in 00885), you'll be just fine.

50F... i wish. You don't even need a block heater yet! This week warmed up quite a bit and we're sitting at about 0F
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm in Calgary. Been trying to get some local XB owners to get on this forum but no luck so far. I'd say there's about 12 to 15 XB's in town. Sadly, 5 Polar White one's, including mine, so I'm not so unique afterall
My roommate was waving away at this one white xb with two Asian girls in it thinking it was me and one of my friends......... I found that funny. I saw two of my opposites in Edmonton though... one polar white as well, guy with huge scion decals down the side.... while mine is debadged in the rear and bb'd in the front. And then just the other week, I saw this caucasian girl in a black one both my opposites in different ways!

Where did you pick up your xb? I got mine from a used car dealer lot in Vancouver. I went to Anaheim just last month and I didn't realize how popular they were.... saw more 1st gen XB's than civics
Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM

[quote="glitch"]
Just as long as you follow the part numbers provided in the thread (ending in 00885), you'll be just fine.

50F... i wish. You don't even need a block heater yet! This week warmed up quite a bit and we're sitting at about 0F
Here is the US the part # may be different? I got mine from Jesse Wright at Metro Toyota in Cleveland Ohio for about $50 last March. He said "all heaters of this style were consolidated into one part number that fits all Toyotas with an engine block
capable of this style heater."

Also "After reading through a bit of the information I wanted to let you know of a
couple of things. The part number listed was correct when the post was
written, but the part has since been updated. The one that you will receive
is the newer one and the part number on the receipt will reflect a different
number. "

You can contact him at parts@metrotpn.com - good prices! And he knows what he's talking about.

Mine is part # PU140-900 on the box.

And it's no longer 50 degrees Fahrenheit. More like 24 today (-2C).

Tony
:D
Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in Calgary. Been trying to get some local xB owners to get on this forum but no luck so far. I'd say there's about 12 to 15 xB's in town. Sadly, 5 Polar White one's, including mine, so I'm not so unique after all
My roommate was waving away at this one white xb with two Asian girls in it thinking it was me and one of my friends......... I found that funny. I saw two of my opposites in Edmonton though... one polar white as well, guy with huge scion decals down the side.... while mine is debadged in the rear and bB'd in the front. And then just the other week, I saw this Caucasian girl in a black one both my opposites in different ways!

Where did you pick up your xB? I got mine from a used car dealer lot in Vancouver. I went to Anaheim just last month and I didn't realize how popular they were.... saw more 1st Gen xB's than Civics
I didn't think there were that many in Edm. Granted I don't get up there that often.
I also took the badge off the rear gate and put up the Autobots symbol. I've posted pics in another thread, I'll have to add them to my profile tonight.

I got my xB out of Houston TX, bought on eBay of all things. If I was to buy again, naturally I'd to things differently i.e. buying from a Northern state that has all the winter ready equip added on already.

Yeah, I was in LA in 06 and xB's were all over the place. I can see why, being functional and inexpensive.

Oh, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-12-2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 AM

For all of you that used part #pu140-00900. When installed what direction is the wiring pointing when all hooked up. Mine pointed straight up and intefered with other wiring. I wish I could find the proper heater so the wiring pointed towards the firewall.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Thread necromancy!

First all, thanks for all this info. If there were pics they're sadly gone, but the instructions were helpful. I just installed a PU140-00900 block heater in my xA, and the comments above are correct - the plug is not correctly shaped. It points up when plugged in, which on the xA interferes directly with a metal coolant line and a wire harness. I was able to trim the stress guard part away from the plug, so that I could have the wire come more or less straight out from the edge of the orange plug, and it fits & works fine now.

I did have some other trouble installing - that model had a clip (think of the clip on a retractable pen) that we part of a snap ring. The "ears" of the snap ring interfered with the engine (or possibly transmission?) body on the lower side, where the heater is flat. I ended up grinding this down - the strength of the clip ring is definitely reduced, but it seems to be holding ok (and the viscous connection with the silicone grease should help it stay in also).

To install it, I found the easiest way was to completely remove the airbox (two electrical connections, three hoses, the top of the airbox, four bolts holding the airbox and air inlet down) and then remove the brackets on the hydraulic line and coolant line directly below that. The hole for the heater can just be reached around the back, but without moving the hydraulic line, getting it in will require a little bit of magic.

Tools I used - Phillips head screwdriver (#3, big), 10mm and 12mm socket head, 6" and 3" extension bars, battery powered impact driver (very handy).

After a 3 hour warmup time, outside, in 25 degree weather, the engine was at about 80 degrees when started, and reached the "not cold" temp of 140 quickly, and normal operating temperature of 180 much faster.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pictures back online.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 AM

@BIGSKYSCION

I just ordered the part from my dealer and they said the new part number was PU14000902? does that sound right to you? Would it be possible to do the install from underneath the car? Also what gauge wire loom did you use/ where did you get it? Also i'm not entirely clear on what the automotive double sided sticky tape is for?
How effective would you say the block heater is?

I'm probably going to be doing the install next weekend so any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Miles
Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I just ordered the part from my dealer and they said the new part number was PU14000902? does that sound right to you?"

Not sure of the current part number. The part number I used (and that fit) was Toyota part #00213-00885 back in 2007.

"Would it be possible to do the install from underneath the car?"

No need to go under the car. You can get to everything from up top. All the pictures at the head of this thread were taken from the top.

"Also what gauge wire loom did you use/ where did you get it?"

I believe the loom was 1/2" or 3/8". You can get it at any auto parts store or places like Wal-Mart.

"Also i'm not entirely clear on what the automotive double sided sticky tape is for?"

I just used that to hold the plug snugly in the dash. My tape has long since lost its sticky and the plug is plenty snug without it.

"How effective would you say the block heater is?"

VERY effective. We were two years in Montana after the install and were very happy with it on those -15 mornings. It would probably do best if you set it on a timer and just have it set to come on an hour or two before you need to be driving. The block will be plenty warm and your Scion will be much happier when you turn the key.

Good luck with the install.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

I made this a Sticky for all you Freezing Winter types