Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust Gasket

I did a search but nothing turned up. I have the Borla axle back and I am having some problems with rattling. I determined the problem was the gasket that fits between the oem pipe and borla pipe. When I removed the clamp the gasket was nothing but a coil of metal. So I ordered a new one and installed it....rattle cured. Well, that was a month ago and the rattle is back. I removed the clamp and once again the gasket is a burned up coil of metal again.

So, am I missing something? Is a different gasket used when the borla exhaust is installed?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

anybody???
Old 04-13-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't have an answer, but i have the same problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andrewdustin
i don't have an answer, but i have the same problem.
thanks for the reply man and although it sucks, i am glad I am not the only one experiancing this. I thought it was something i was doing wrong.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't know why this is happening. I do know that with my greddy evo2, came a new gasket that wasn't all metal. It had metal around the outer edge of it to hold it together but the inside of the coil seemed to be cardboard or something of the sort. You might want to try getting a hold of Greddy and see if they will sell or give you a gasket. I have had mine on for at least 2 or 3 months and not a single problem with it (knock on wood). Hope that helps.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It's been a while since I installed my strup exhaust. From what I do remember I think the gasket was a kinda paper ring with metal around it. Once the pipes are put together the gasket would fill in the surround in the pipe.

I also remember that the clamp has to be on at a 45-55 degree angle or the clamp wouldn't sit right. Being aftermarket my strup exhaust took a little work. Anyway, I know I had a wierd rattle for a while, so I started to position the clamp in different angles. Funny thing is the best angle made the clamp look like it wasn't on right.

Try to loosen the clamp and reposition it. Adjust the exhaust muffler pipe to sit on the OEM pipe and then refit everything back together. see what happens. I know it took me about three tries before the pipe set right and the rattle went away. Haven't had to mess with anything for over a year now.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info fellas. The gasket for the Borla is the same as you guys described. It is a metal ring with some type of green gasket paper in the middle. However, when it burns off, all that is left is the metal ring.....no paper.

I guess there is a chance I didn't line it up perfectly when I replaced it so I will try that and see. I'll let you know what happens

Thanks