Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Default Exhaust leak

2005 Scion XB 96,000 miles. I have an exhaust leak on the original stock system from what sounds like around where all the header pipes meet.
It's hard to locate as it sounds worse when the engine is under load like taking off from a stop. Driving along it's hardley noticable but annoying as all hell one the less.
I figured I would just buy a new system but want stock as the performance systems sound like $%# in my opinion. Can't find it on the web, just performance systems.
If it's the exhaust and not manifold where to get a stock system? I'm cheap. Put all perf $$$ into motorcycles!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is too weird!
I was away from this forum for couple of years but my 2006 xB with 56,000 miles and stock exhaust developed an annoying exhaust leak. Just tonight I decided to log on and search the forum for exhaust leaks. When I got on the forum what do I see? Your post, right on top! That is eerie!

Anyways, mine sounds exactly like you describe yours. It is only audible when the engine is under load (as in accelerating). I plugged up the tailpipe while the engine was idling to try to increase backpressure in the exhaust, hoping that I could hear it escaping from where the leak is - no such luck. The exhaust stayed quiet.

I'm also hoping that someone else experienced this problem and tells us where to look as I don't want to go to the dealer and have them replace the entire exhaust when only simple $10 gasket was needed!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our boxes have an exhaust donut between the header and down pipe that's wear I would start they are cheap enough. There is also one at the junction of the rear pipe and the canister
Toyota part # 17451‑21030 (header gasket)
Toyota part # 90917‑06082 (rear gasket)
Try local auto stores or these suppliers they are cheaper than dealer
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/

Also join here (its free) and you can search a great microfiche source for all Toyota parts
http://www.toyodiy.com

Toyota Repair Manuals can be downloaded in PDF form here
Scion Document List

Name:  diag_2bOP93.png
Views: 13311
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greyboy
2005 Scion XB 96,000 miles. I have an exhaust leak on the original stock system from what sounds like around where all the header pipes meet.
It's hard to locate as it sounds worse when the engine is under load like taking off from a stop. Driving along it's hardley noticable but annoying as all hell one the less.
I figured I would just buy a new system but want stock as the performance systems sound like $%# in my opinion. Can't find it on the web, just performance systems.
If it's the exhaust and not manifold where to get a stock system? I'm cheap. Put all perf $$$ into motorcycles!
Remember way back on 9/4 when you originally posted this question in the xB2 forum and I replied with this post immediately after yours? It just so happens the time I spent looking for and posting the info for your car and attempting to post links (though I had to give up on that ) was entirely for your benefit and answered your specific question.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...77&postcount=2

It's just so nice when your efforts to help another are appreciated! In any case, it would certainly be cheaper if the manifold is actually good -- though your post indicates otherwise. God luck!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the pointer! I'll check for the leak in the area between header and down pipe.