Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Fed up with xB..

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Fed up with xB..

I've owned my 2006 xB since may 1st 2006. June 14th, the car went back to the dealer for a grinding noise when shifting into 2nd gear (upshifting or downshifting)... approx 2400 miles on the car. They diagnosed the problem as the 2nd-3rd gear synchro, gave me a loaner car (05 corolla with 30k miles on it) & ordered the synchro. I was informed the next day that the parts were on back order and wouldn't be available in Japan for at least 10 days. They tried to say the TWM shifter was causing the problem. NO WAY - eventually convinced the service advisor & he said there's no way that was causing it... .just take it off if you ever have another transmission problem.

A few days into the loaner car, the brakes went out (pedal went to the floor & E-brake did nothing) - off road I went to avoid the line of rush hour traffic stopped ahead of me. I called enterprise (who the 'loaner' car was through) to inform them that I was having the car towed & asked where they would like it towed (location 3 miles from where I was, or back to their office 30 miles away). The car was towed back to their office with me in the car (edit.... their office with me in the tow truck). They tried to give me crap for the damages to the car because I hadn't bought the damage waiver. 'F THAT!!! you gave me a car with no brakes, you're lucky you're not being sued!'. So the enterprise guy gets in the car (facing downhill) and puts it in drive, realized hey, this thing has no brakes & slams it into park to stop it... told ya so. He apologized 1,000,000 times & put me in another loaner (another Corolla with 30k miles). The new car had good tires & stopped when you hit the brake pedal - yay.

June 28th the dealer called me & said they still hadn't received the parts, but had started disassembling the transmission. When they got it apart, they found 'more metal' than expected & were replacing the entire transmission.. the car will be ready tomorrow (this was at about 3:30 pm). 50 minutes later (4:20), they called back & said the car was done - come by before 6:00 to pick it up. That day, I had chosen to ride my motorcycle to work (2005 SV1000S), so I now had to make the 25 mile trip home, then back 30 or so miles to the dealer in approx 1 1/2 hours (or get stuck paying for the rental/loaner for a day because it's my scheduling conflict causing me to keep it another day - or at least that's how I interpreted the scion transportation assistance stuff in the owners/warranty manual). Getting home was no problem - the bike flies . I made it home in about 25 minutes and was 10 minutes from the dealer at 5:55, so I called to make sure someone would be there for me to get my car when I get there if I'm 5 minutes late. 'Sir, we're open till midnight'. MOTHER $*#@&$&^#

Pick up the car and everything seems good. They've replace the tranny, driveshaft (?), and a locknut. $3400+ covered under warranty. I head out of the dealers parkinglot & I hear a pop as I'm going over a huge speed bump 'great', I think 'I just curbed my 17's' - so I get out & check, no damage... weird.

Onto I-35 I go to sit in rush hour traffic - no fun, so I exit & go a few back ways. A few minutes into the drive, I realize I can't drive stick with motorcycle boots on (can't bend the ankle much),
so I head to the mall to buy new shoes. Leaving the parking lot to the mall produces a loud 15 second long metallic grinding noise.... GREAT I drive a little farther & the noise gets worse as I go.

Back to the dealer I go (after calling my service advisor's cell phone - he asked if the car would make it back to the dealer....sure, but it may mess up the brand new tranny you just installed... no problem, that's what warranty's are for ) . Drive past the XB's on the lot with customers looking & salesman selling (HORRIBLE squealing/grinding noise the whole time) - imagine the looks from both. Into the service area where parents are waiting with their kids to pick up their cars (kids covering their ears with both hands grimacing). The mechanic drives the car around the service building into a bay (WOW this thing is loud). 15 minutes later, the car comes out of the bay noise free. Says they bumped the rotor backing plate while installing the new transmission & it's grinding.... bent it back & all is good

Once again, I leave the parking lot to head home & have the pop going over the speed bump - weird. There's also a noise (something rubbing/grinding) at 3500 rpm in gear/out of gear/moving/stopped - doesn't matter... engine revved up, noise is there.

June 29th - back to the dealer. Realized the noise is 3500 rpm when the engine is cold & 5500/6000rpm when warm. Mechanic who replaced the transmission says 'sounds like a loose heat shied or something, that's normal'. BS!! It didn't make that noise when I gave it to you & it shouldn't make it now. Car has 2800 miles on it. So we sit in the very back lot of the dealer with me holding the engine at 6000 rpm while he tries to locate the noise. After what seemed like minutes, I said enough - this shouldn't be happening... I'm not abusing my car like this anymore. He assures me it's a harmless rattle, but they can fix it.... it'll just take 4 or 5 days to locate. I'm fed up & don't want to give up my car for another week, so I drive off.

Leaving the dealership, I take a u-turn over the interstate to head back to work. less than 1/2 mile away, POP BANG SLAM CRASH BOOM..... look up in my rear view mirror & bolts are flying everywhere. about 1/2-3/4 inch in diameter & 3 inches long. Back to the dealer I go ... bolts in hand. Stop the service manager who is
walking with another customer & say 'these just fell out of my car'. He gets the mechanic & the mechanic says 'those were eeeextra' (weird accent). WTF EXTRA PARTS WHEN YOU PUT MY BRAND NEW CAR BACK TOGETHER?!?!.... turns out he says he lost them & put new ones in... OK, maybe that's the rattle.... nope

Remember the speed bump popping? It's getting worse.... accelerating & braking produce popping from the front right.... getting angry

Home I go to put the car back to stock - rims/tires & short shifter come off... stock bits go back on. Out come my Kicker solo S12L7s, amp & power wire (mechanic tried to blame the rattle on my amp's power wire!!!). While pulling out the power cable, I look up (head under hood) & notice they've shredded the insulation under the hood (maybe the mechanic, maybe the flying bolts - who knows.... who cares).

June 30th - back to the dealer. Car is stock, I want no excuses. I don't want to hear from you or see this car until it is like new. Issues are: Popping front end, grinding/vibration, shredded insulation under the hood, rattling door (did that when I bought the car... want it fixed though), possibly missing bolts, and it's now at 3000 miles - change the oil. I tell
them they've got until Thursday of the next week (July 6th) - I'm off work & have an extra car (truck) at home (& I don't want to risk death again in their crappy corolla rentals) - if it goes past Wednesday, I'll need a car to drive. They apologize & say 'we'll try to make it right'.... NO, DON'T TRY... I don't want to see the car, or hear from you until it IS right.

They take me back to work in their shuttle - they're trying to kill me here.. I haven't heard so many people blowing thier horn at one car in my life!!

So far, no word on the car (they had it all day Friday & Saturday) - not that I really care, I think I'm ready to get rid of the car... a car with 3k miles shouldn't have these problems. I've owned the car for 8 weeks now & they're going on 3 of those 8 weeks in their possession.

This is my 2nd xB (wife has one too - automatic), and she had an echo (man trans) before these cars, so I know it's not the car... it's the mechanic. I don't know that I'll ever have confidence in my car again though, so I think I'll be getting rid of it asap when I get it back.

Sorry for the rant... really unhappy with my car though. If it's not right when I get it back, I'll be calling scion customer service... if they don't help, I'll have to find a lawyer.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-18-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 07-02-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Damn that sucks...I think you got a LEMON...Hope it all works out for you...
Old 07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow! That's ridiculous. I suggest looking into your states lemon laws and see if there's something that could help you get into a new car if they persist with the incompetence you've shared.

Please put your shifter in the classifieds section and not here.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thaks for the replies... If this continues, the lemon law will be my friend (3 times for the same issue without resolution).

I tried posting the shifter in the classified forum, but couldn't (haven't had my xb long enough to post 50 on this forum times).... I can edit my post & remove it you want (I know we've got to keep the forums on topic & clean). Just figured I throw that into my 100 page epic
Old 07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let us know what happens with it and the lemon law thing. should be able to just get a whole new car and how you want it with some extra warranty stuff for the ____ you've gone through.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ic ic , mechanic. oh and manual trans xb's arent tat great. the echo units have less problems but are geared differently.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i killed my yaris syncromesh at 35000, caused that by full throttle gearchanges, died a week befor i went to the nurburgring :p but i managed to get a new box and get it in the car within a couple of days, damn lucky!!! so im gonna replace the syncro in the old box and put in a TRD final gear set and TRD LSD, 150mph here i come!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, that was one horror story, I wouldn't be supprised if you find your xB being sold used by that dealer to someone who'll have to endure the same BS.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which delaer are you taking it too?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats rediculous, theres always that one person who has a problem with something that usually doesn't happen and then the people responsible drag their asses about it or ust can't seem to fix it. I think you should take lega action if it isn't fixed this time.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Texas Lemon Law is a bit harder to deal with than the one I'm familiar with here, and you must do things EXACTLY right, but what you are going through is ridiculous. If NOTHING else, get hold of Scion ASAP and get them up to speed on this.

Call the Scion Customer Experience at 1.866.70.SCION

http://tijil.org/2004lemonlaw(tx).pdf

Tom
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

WOW, Wish you luck and do keep us updated with the outcome please!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW....I'm speachless......lemon law? know a laywer?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

quick update ....
dealer just called & informed me that my car was broken into sometime between saturday night & now $(*#@&$@#*()#

my radio & sirius satellite tuner are gone, but the car is fixed

working on getting them to replace it... if this post is written poorly I apologize, but I'm ____ED.

'the signs say we're not responsible for your property'
AAAAAGGGHHHHH dammit
Old 07-03-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

by the way... this is Champion toyota in austin for those that asked... service (person to person... they've been real nice) has been great until now - they just keep breaking my car
Old 07-03-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yall got the lemon law out there? thats total BS, but my xb is the same way, i have 1 problem afetr another after a nother, too much modifying is my problem tho, and i voided all my warranties, i do love my xb tho, and im sorry youve went thru so much with yours. make them give u a new one, youll be happy, and if u get 2 lemons n a row, stick to the cars you got bro. haha, jk. good luck
Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

jesus christo man, i just read the part about breaking in....i skipped that....but good GOD! go to a different dealership or contact scion, make this a thorn in someones side, cuz it definately has been for you, and it shouldnt be
Old 07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by rball5
quick update ....
dealer just called & informed me that my car was broken into sometime between saturday night & now $(*#@&$@#*()#

my radio & sirius satellite tuner are gone, but the car is fixed

working on getting them to replace it... if this post is written poorly I apologize, but I'm ____ED.

'the signs say we're not responsible for your property'
AAAAAGGGHHHHH dammit
Glad they got it "almost fixed". As far as those "not responsible "signs. That is for personal stuff left inside the car. Not stuff that is installed in it. Their insurance should cover any and all damages to your car while in their custody.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good point!
Old 07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude that sucks def check the lemon law and double check ur car fax report

Quick Reply: Fed up with xB..