Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

fuel injectors keep clogging

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default fuel injectors keep clogging

hey guys i have another problem i need help with. this has happened to me about 3 times already. im driving along fine and all of a sudden my car starts slowing down, engine starts shacking and the car begins to drive funny and i get a check engine light. the first time it did this i took it to toyota and they told me it was a clogged fuel injector and that they wanted to clean em' up but were gonna charge me an arm and a leg so i took the car home pulled off the injectors my self and ran STP fuel injector cleaner through them. worked like a charm. couple weeks later same thing. car starts to do the same thing pull off injectors clean them, fine again. now last night it begins to happen and now its ____ing me off. has anyone had the same problem where their injectors get dirty so fast? i use Valero unleaded and every oil change i use the STP complete fuel system cleaner. has this happened to anyone and can you provide me with a more permanent solution...
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by areyes5321
hey guys i have another problem i need help with. this has happened to me about 3 times already. im driving along fine and all of a sudden my car starts slowing down, engine starts shacking and the car begins to drive funny and i get a check engine light. the first time it did this i took it to toyota and they told me it was a clogged fuel injector and that they wanted to clean em' up but were gonna charge me an arm and a leg so i took the car home pulled off the injectors my self and ran STP fuel injector cleaner through them. worked like a charm. couple weeks later same thing. car starts to do the same thing pull off injectors clean them, fine again. now last night it begins to happen and now its ____ing me off. has anyone had the same problem where their injectors get dirty so fast? i use Valero unleaded and every oil change i use the STP complete fuel system cleaner. has this happened to anyone and can you provide me with a more permanent solution...
You already stated your problem , the use of Valero Gas. Go with a better ( read Top Tier ) gas. The station more than likely has crud in their tanks.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

use diff gas and throw a bottle of cleaner in on your next fill up.
also how many miles are on the car?
ever consider replacing the fuel filter?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

yea change fuel filter, clean the injectors with a mix of seafoam and gasoline, put some seafoam next time you fill up something like hess, bp, shell or exxon and flog it around for a few minutes to clean the lines also.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

DONT put seafoam in the gas tank.
it will end up breaking down all the residue or whatever on the tank walls and may end up clogging the pick up.

just buy an injector cleaner that contains polyetheramine that you can pour in the tank
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks guys i always suspected valero of being low grade gas, only reason i use it is because of the abondance of valero stores. we have a couple of exxon mobile gas stations around here so i think ill be using them from now on. and i will read that top tier forum, thank you.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM

I usually try to stick to brand new stations aswell... old stations have had so much gas into the tanks that there is probably feet of crud in the bottoms of the tanks...

Chris K.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried that too but the only new ones that are opening up are Valero. the semi - older gas stations are the Exxon and the Mobil gas stations. i do try to stray from using gas stations i have my doubts about though. my friend used this one gas station i refuse to use unless its a major emergency, well he began to pump gas and noticed the gas was coming out a dark brown color. needless to say he complained and got his money back.