Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Group 25 battery - a Rare Find

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Group 25 battery - a Rare Find

So when did the Group 25 battery become almost impossible to find (a unicorn battery)??? And the prices are going up rapidly!!!

Just replaced the one in my son's xB after the +ve terminal started corroding like crazy - virtually rotting off the +ve terminal.
Hoped to get an Everstart Maxx from Wallyworld - no dice
Ended up at Napa as no-one else seems to be carrying it (at a reasonable price). It also had a date of 08/20 on it (8 months old), so they are not turning over on the shelves very fast

Has anyone tried a Group 75 battery?? I think it might fit, but are the posts in a bad spot??
That big red plastic box on the back of the positive terminal looks like it may hit something with a 75 in there.

Come on lithiums (LiFePO4's)

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 04-11-2021, 12:02 AM
SL Member

I've been thinking about using a Group 26 battery, the size for the Yaris, its shorter so it would fit with my intercooler pipe a bit better.

I can't comment on the 75s but I found this page https://www.batteryequivalents.com/b...ize-chart.html

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-11-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks - handy chart that. I suppose if I had to pick a more common replacement it would be a group 51 (not 51R). Which is smaller & fewer CA's
The Group 35 would drop in, but the posts are the wrong way round - which you can fix by turning it 180°... but then the big red thing behind the battery gets in the way.

Converted my bikes to LiFePO4's and they work great. Because of the higher power density, the batteries are much smaller (and lighter). The extra space is filled with foam.
Deltran (and perhaps a few more) are adopting a 4 post pattern on the top so they don't have to make so many variants. If only...

Got time to spare?? Here I fit an LiFePO4 battery in my bike:

Food for thought???

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-11-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:39 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Thanks - handy chart that. I suppose if I had to pick a more common replacement it would be a group 51 (not 51R). Which is smaller & fewer CA's
The group 35 would drop in, but the posts are the wrong way round - which you can fix by turning it 180°... but then the big red thing behind the battery gets in the way.

Converted my bikes to LiFePO4's and they work great. Because of the higher power density, the batteries are much smaller (and lighter). The extra space is filled with foam.
Deltran (and perhaps a few more) are adopting a 4 post pattern on the top so they don't have to make so many variants. If only...

Got time to spare?? Here I fit an LiFePO4 battery in my bike Deltran battery in my bike Food for thought???
I don't think i've ever kept a bike long enough to need a new battery LOL do you think there is a lithium battery for our cars? I think we need to find a inconspicuous way to be able to wreck the battery right before the warranty expires. the free car batteries for life hack
Old 04-11-2021, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you tried a local Toyota dealership? I've seen on-line ads for Group 25 Toyota True Start 84 Month Battery for about $100.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if this link works, but I did look to a dealer:

https://parts.earnhardttoyota.com/se...ch_str=battery

Their batteries are "not for sale" WTF, perhaps it's because they think I want it shipped ???
I have found that I can order on-line for a somewhat reasonable price and then go to the parts counter and pick it up.
If I go to the parts counter and ask for it there, I get charged full whack (MSRP) plus some, just for the inconvenience.
& too late now, but I've bookmarked Battery center - Thanks.

There are lithium batteries for cars, but they are too expensive and need to be warmed up at temps below freezing -
Problem for many, but not in Mesa / Phoenix.

(I wonder if that is true?? How do all electric cars get on in the cold??) going off topic

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-21-2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-14-2021, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the dead link. Found one in Sacramento for $95 but they won't ship.

Good question about lithium. Not sure how it would respond to conventional alternators.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:36 AM
SL Member

@62Fender Hi. I am in the process to replace my Lead - Acid Battery with LiFePo4 lithium battery. The new battery LIFePo4 is used be many Motorcycles very much. The new technology battery have positive useful behaviors , and other parameters to consider. To charge the Lithium battery can be use the Alternator. There must (I think) be install a DC to DC "adapter" (charger). The lithium battery get fast charged (and then must be disconnected), needs to be located far away from the hot engine, and can not be used in very cold (arctic cold) temperatures or very hot temperatures. The life time of the new battery is like 10 years or more...
Old 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let us know how it goes, Birsan.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Birsan. If your alternator puts out 14 to a max of 14.5Volts, you should be good and will not need any other form of charger. Don't charge it with a lead acid charger.
Check the max voltage the battery maker allows.
The only disadvantage with a motorbike sized battery is the smaller amount of power stored in the battery (Watt Hours)
May limit the number of start attempts or may not provide enough amps for starting.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:33 PM
SL Member

@RichBinAZ Hi, The new lithium battery is LiFePo4. This is not the old Lithium that is having a bad reputation of starting fire. This one needs a charger. Here is a challenge for this project. I need more time to research. If the car computer is also a charge controller, to evaluate the acid-battery every moment, then I need to connect the Lithium battery charger to the computer?
I can use my old alternator with high amperage output. On the lithium charger one can adjust the charging voltage and the charging Amperage as needed. Then to connect a DC/DC charge controller. From my 14.0Volts to go up to 15.4 Volts needed for the charging the lithium battery. Then, the lithium battery get fast charged than a acid battery. When is full charged a lithium battery had to stop the charging process. At this point the charge controller must disconnect the charging mode (they use a MOSFET) and start to observe the battery voltage status. 12Volt Lithium battery have 4 interior cells. At the charging time all the cells get charged equal, by the lithium (smart) charge controller. A lithium battery will stay charged long time (one year or more) loosing like 5 to 15% from original voltage value. There also must keep fully charge at all time (no less) at 80% like a acid-battery. Never discharge to a 0 (zero) or close to a zero value.
The lithium battery can release more amperage in short time, than a acid-battery.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:34 PM
SL Member

Here's some.....Batteries +........Duracell and Optima

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...finder-box-top
Old 04-24-2021, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, no code for old oil, just a mileage-timer.

The Shorai, is a:
1 Lithium-Iron battery, not a LiFePo4.

lithium = Li
iron = Fe
phosphorus = P
oxygen = O

Lithium-iron = LiFePO4 = Lithium-iron-Phosphate battery

https://batteryuniversity.com/index....of_lithium_ion

I've been using LiFePO4 batteries on my motorcycles for over 10-years now without any issue. Even built my own for my racebike from 4x 18650 cells. Been working fine for over 4-years. Much more noticeable saving 10-lbs on 300-lb bike compared to saving 30-lbs on 2400-lb car. Don't push envelope, you need stability with tried-and-true solutions for your car. You have enough difficulty keeping stock car alive and running, don't try modding it where not needed!
Old 04-25-2021, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Birsan
Hi everyone! I have good news. I was driving with the 3 failing dashboard lights on today to the gas station. Thinking to stop there in the parking lot and reset the computer. Then, when I start the car, all 3 lights are gone.
No manual Reset was needed. On Tuesday I change the oil and a new oil filter (for full 100% synthetic oil AMSOIL). I suspect that the failing Code P0010, was because was needed a fresh oil. Not sure.
I may cancel my plan to install the new battery in the front doors. You all may be right for so many reasons.
After asking my car mechanic about the usual location of the sensor, he told me that (it is very possible) the crankshaft sensor in this car may be on passenger side under the rear engine side. Close to a crankshaft.
Because the garage was busy today with other German cars with transmission problems, computer problem, and engine failure, Scion xB 2004 skip today to get a diagnostic.
I am now open to other projects, like finding the best fit to get a Cruise Control DIY. Or, replacing the OEM radio with a new one with a Video/TV display. Not sure if is legal to drive and see the news?

Thank you.

If one can add a NEWS Channel on the windshield, would never miss the important events.

____
Good lord! For the 12th (and final) time, changing - or not changing - your oil will not cause or cure a CEL!

As for watching TV while you drive, and you wonder why our politicians keep coming up with "silly" new laws? What's next self prostate exams as you drive? Word fail me.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:12 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Birsan
Hi everyone! I have good news. I was driving with the 3 failing dashboard lights on today to the gas station. Thinking to stop there in the parking lot and reset the computer. Then, when I start the car, all 3 lights are gone.
No manual Reset was needed. On Tuesday I change the oil and a new oil filter (for full 100% synthetic oil AMSOIL). I suspect that the failing Code P0010, was because was needed a fresh oil. Not sure.
I may cancel my plan to install the new battery in the front doors. You all may be right for so many reasons.
After asking my car mechanic about the usual location of the sensor, he told me that (it is very possible) the crankshaft sensor in this car may be on passenger side under the rear engine side. Close to a crankshaft.
Because the garage was busy today with other German cars with transmission problems, computer problem, and engine failure, Scion xB 2004 skip today to get a diagnostic.
I am now open to other projects, like finding the best fit to get a Cruise Control DIY. Or, replacing the OEM radio with a new one with a Video/TV display. Not sure if is legal to drive and see the news?

Thank you.

If one can add a NEWS Channel on the windshield, would never miss the important events.

____

To put this plainly as possible: Watching any type of videos while driving is illegal in all states. Especially illegal on a heads up display like you are contemplating. In other words, don’t do it.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:34 AM
SL Member

Walmart does carry group 25, but not all of their stores