Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help with replacing OEM Exhaust, Cut pipe after Oxygen Sensor, or replace Cat??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help with replacing OEM Exhaust, Cut pipe after Oxygen Sensor, or replace Cat??

2005 Scion xB 5 speed

Finally putting my garage and tools to good use at our new house for the first time since we moved in a couple years ago. This is my first major dabble in engine exhaust repair. I have done plenty of replacing things in interiors over the years, panels, windows, radios, stereo installs, and some minor exterior stuff like
door handle replacement, ghetto rigging body trim back into place, headlights, bulbs etc._Have done some minor engine stuff, replaced a few alternators, spark plugs, etc. MOST of my previous experience is on engines that sit in a bay the size of a kitchen that you can practically crawl into, this one is CRAMPED.

Currently suffering from a hole in exhaust I discovered a few months back, been sitting on replacement parts in garage since May. Also what I am HOPING is a dead water pump. Have been having an off noise from the engine for the past few days, related to RPM. Had it replaced around 80k, 5k outside of warranty period, but dealer still covered it, so it wouldn't surprise me that it may need to be replaced now. The overheat indicator came on the other day, then the next day after lunch with my brother, (less than 3 miles each way) and only about 15 minutes of use in a 24 hour period, when I got home, heat was POURING out of the grill when I walked in front of the car. In the picture, you can see the wet garage floor which is the stock coolant leaking out of somewhere... Already ordered the replacement water pump, pulley and thermostat, just waiting on arrival. I have been good with oil changes and other things like brakes and tires, and the car has held up pretty well in my opinion. Stock spark plugs had no issues till I lost a cylinder the day I moved into my house a few years back, thought the stock plug gave out after 130k miles. That wasn't it, pulled the CEL code, ended up being ignition coil, swapped that out and all good. Still running great on the stock clutch too. Knock on wood.

Muffler pipe HAD a hole in it, got replacement parts in May, just got around to doing it, wasn't a priority. Found the connection COMPLETELY rusted apart.
Who needs a muffler anyway?

Name:  20160731_102117.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  131.4 KB

Have had jack stands and a jack for years, but only tried to use them twice. First time was on my wife's CRV, jack was too short to even TOUCH the jack points fully extended, fak... that issue was a loose Cat heat shield, fix it without jacking it up using large hose clamps around it. Problem solved.
Had to borrow another jack from my in-laws to get the car up another 2-3" to actually be able to get under it, got the muffler off. Wasn't bad with the exhaust removal tool. Fought with it for a WHILE with a variety of other tools, broke down this morning with Amazon same day shipping and got an exhaust removal tool.

Name:  20160731_194741.jpg
Views: 2355
Size:  311.4 KB

Next issue, turns out the Resonator pipe and Cat are ONE piece on the OEM exhaust.... wasn't expecting this... FAK.

Name:  20160731_223918.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  146.2 KB

Replacement resonator pipe has a slip fitting, and no Cat.... Now to just figure out WTF to do.... Sawzall the Cat pipe just behind the oxygen sensor, or get a replacement cat and replace full system from the cat all the way back.
Leaning towards the cheaper option with cutting the existing pipe, and hoping it fits the slip fitting. Also not sure if I will need to do anything with the hangers, as the shape is a little different than the OEM ones.

Name:  20160731_223851.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  219.6 KB

Any thoughts and/or suggestions on what to do with the Cat & Resonator issue?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-29-2021 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I would just replace the pipe as she sits in front of you. Leave the converter be unless you have a reason to change it....
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I made the decision to replace the cat as well.... because if I end up cutting the pipe, I will just end up ____ing it up and be needing to order the cat anyway.... Plus, the oxygen sensors are nearly at 3 times their recommended change interval, so I just ordered those as well.

Then my other issue is that I am can't bring myself to get down under the car... Firstly the jack height just isn't as high as I would like, so it is only about 12" off the ground... Just get bad vibes that I am going to be down there, and something will give out and I will have the car on top of me. lol. Stupid, I know. ah well.... gotta figure out some way to do this....
Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Don't get under the car unless she's on stands....thats just a dumb way to die.