Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HELP! xB 05 AUtomatic!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default HELP! xB 05 AUtomatic!

Hi guys I have a very frustrating problem I can't seem to diagnose... I have a 05 xB (automatic).

Before the transmission repair, I lost the OD and i had to rebuild the transmission. BEfore that though THis very symptons I ahve already had, and I thought rebuilding the transmission would solve it, but I guess not.

Getting straight to the point, Normally shifitng should occur at this specific range based on the offcial service specifications:

1st Gear to 2nd (31 to 34 mph)
2nd --> 3rd (58 to 63mph)
3rd --> 4th - Overdrive (91 to 97 mph)

All these should be happen at FULL throttle valve opened , meaning gas pedal all the way to the floor.

But somehow I have a very very early shift.. My 1st to 2nd shift like around 4800 RPM at around 28 mph, and the drops down to around 3500 RPM to shift from 2nd to 3rd.
THe 2nd shift then barely goes past 4,000 RPM at around 50 mph, and then shifts to third..

So basically all the gear shifts through to the 3th gear before I even reach 60 for the most part. And even sometimes to 4th.
And guess what my 0 - 60 is? 22 SECONDS. Infact sometimes that doubles because of the incosistency in the shifitng point..

Merging to the high way? forget about it.. It is soo slow. I have tried cleaning the MAF, the TPS, I even clear the ECU memory by disconnecting battery and pulling the EFI fuse. Hell I even use Techstream to clear the ECU.. BUt to no avail. I don't know what's going on and why it shifts soo early..

Here are videos reference on when the gear show shift properly especially since our engine are designed to high-revved in the first place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-aei499Ew

as you can see both are automatic, and their shifitng point is , well, on point to the specification. I might post video of my shift point later on..

BTW, manually shifitng through the gears do let me reach the potential RPM before switching gear..
Please can anybody help me? THank you.
PS: I have also adjsuted the Throttle vale cable too, no changes..
Attached Thumbnails HELP! xB 05 AUtomatic!-untitled.png  
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Nevermind I figured it out.. So dumb of me..lol All these time.. It was actually the obvious.. The last I cleaned my throttle body I didn't arrange the cable assembly rightly and the throttle body would only open like lterally half way of the specifications.. For some reason It seems that was another conugiration to save gas..because it was quite hard to diagnose. Kinda hard to explain but whoever knows what I'm talkign about.. anyway ..:D