Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How do I remove the driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default How do I remove the driveshafts?

Hi guys! My name is Dan and I'm new to the forums.

We've had a 2005 Scion xA with manual transmission (135k miles) for about a year now. The engine is blown and I have a replacement engine for swap out. I've read through many on the posts here and have decided to drop the engine/tranny together for the swap.

However, I am having trouble removing the drive shafts from the transmission.

I already have the hub ends loose and the drive shafts are solely attached to the car by the shafts sticking into the transmission. I tried prying the shafts out with a screwdriver, but was afraid to apply a lot of pressure and damage something. I can't find a manual to aid with diagrams or descriptions. All of the posts I've read simply state, "remove the drive shafts" but mine won't come out even with a little prying pressure. It feels like there is some internal clip that holds them in.

Could someone please give some advice or point me to a place has a repair manual for sale?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you removed the struts yet?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Yes, well sort of I guess...

I've separated the lower swing arm from the hub and the tie rod end. The hub is hanging from the strut and the driveshaft is completely loose at the hub end.

The only thing preventing me from removing the drive shafts is whatever is inside the transmission preventing the splined shaft from coming out.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member

I removed them by using a big screwdriver or tire iron with a flat edge. On the cv axle by the tranny there are grooves to put the tool on. Give the tool a couple wacks with a hammer and the cv will pop out, the driver side was the most difficult because of the angle your tool will be at. Installing is the same way. Good luck
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dgray341
Hi guys! My name is Dan and I'm new to the forums.

We've had a 2005 Scion xA with manual transmission (135k miles) for about a year now. The engine is blown and I have a replacement engine for swap out. I've read through many on the posts here and have decided to drop the engine/tranny together for the swap.

However, I am having trouble removing the drive shafts from the transmission.

I already have the hub ends loose and the drive shafts are solely attached to the car by the shafts sticking into the transmission. I tried prying the shafts out with a screwdriver, but was afraid to apply a lot of pressure and damage something. I can't find a manual to aid with diagrams or descriptions. All of the posts I've read simply state, "remove the drive shafts" but mine won't come out even with a little prying pressure. It feels like there is some internal clip that holds them in.

Could someone please give some advice or point me to a place has a repair manual for sale?

Thanks!
There is a little c clip that needs to be compressed for the axle to come out, while putting pressure on axle and hitting with hammer it will compress it and axle will slide out,
Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply guys and sorry for not replying till now. I never did get those axles out and ended up dropping the engine and transmission together. Then swapped out the engine. Then raised both engine and transmission together (axles dangling lol) back into place.

Both ball joints were bad which required the sway arms to be replaced. Initial price quotes from Advanced Auto were $370 each side. Took us a few month to save up that money, but come to find out it was $350 total for both sides.

Anyhow, got the car back together yesterday and back on the road this morning.