Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to increase my xB's Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like you do a lot of traveling in your box. It also sounds like you are fairly loaded when doing so. However, I would highly recommend dropping the pressure in your tires. The only time you need to get anywhere near the max. pressure rating listed on the tires is when you are at or near the max. load rating as well. 32-35 is plenty high enough to achieve better gas mileage without having too much pressure in the tires.

Also, you will likely find that the most efficient spark plug you can get will be a standard copper plug from a company like NGK or Denso. The only thing you actually gain by switching to platinum or iridium is life expectancy on the plug. They typically don't perform as well, but they can go longer between changes. If you plan on changing at regular intervals, I would recommend switching back to a good copper plug next time you do your plug maintenance is scheduled.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

I used to have a land cruiser w/ an in line 6-cylinder engine that got around 11 mpg around town so any thing that gets me over 200 miles w/ less than 80 bucks a week is awesome!!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

You want to use the recommended pressure on the door, not the tire. The max tire pressure on the tire is for the tire installer when they pop the tire onto the rim, and is usually not recommended for driving on.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

32 cold tire pressure
Old 05-24-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XB

Thanks for the replys.
I do tow a small trailer once in a while (please no posts about towing - I am happy with the performance and recognize the limitations) and get close to the max load that is why I have always run on the high side with tire pressure . I will try a lower pressure as recommended and look for any differences.
Also I have never tried platinum plugs - so I thought I would give them a try.
Why don't they perform as well??? I know they are supposed to last longer, but is performance decreased? My XB seems to be running smoother - but I am sure it is because I needed new plugs. Also I never have seen plugs so worn at 31,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Drive Slow and switch off the AC when you can. I got 37 mpg by staying around 65 with the AC off.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gained about 2 mpg's when I added cruise control. No a/c helps too. I average about 32 mpg now, 60% highway driving and auto trans.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if you tow you should raise the pressure a bit.It says 29psi cold but I run 32 cause I like that pressure for my car.I haul some tools in the back for work but they are not really heavy.I think if you tow it should be alittle more than 32psi.It wont hurt gas milage if they are inflated over what the car is rated for just dont go over what the tire can handle.JMO
Old 05-26-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the cruise control comment and synthetic fluids have been shown to help around 1mpg (and actually 1-2hp)if used in all fluids
Old 05-27-2006, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

N.G.S.O.

i've got an '05 xb and i get a pretty consitent 33 miles to the gallon city i might add. The only time it gets lower than that is if i'm on alot of hils or just really flooring it; however i have a stick shift and i allow my car to coast in neutral as often as possible. last but not least, i did notice a mpg increase when i added my iridoum spark plugs.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of getting good fuel economy is in the driving. Accelerate at a milder rate, keep your speed steady with slight variations in the pedal. Avoid prolonged warmups. Don't rev it to the redline, upshift relatively quickly.

If you want to get scientific, tee a vacuum gauge into one of the engine vacuum lines. High vacuum = good mileage. It doesn't have to be a really nice permanent install, just good enough to educate the driver for awhile...

Other stuff that helps-

Air conditioner off.
Keep the tires at the recommended or slightly higher inflation pressure.
Synthetic lubricants.
Low restriction air filter and exhaust.
Finding the sweet spot for mileage on your vehicle, the velocity where it's happiest. With smaller engines, sometimes that's gearing down, and even slowing down, depending on the terrain and the traffic.
Running the right grade of fuel. At 10.5:1 compression ratio, our motors run best on midgrade or better. Otherwise, the knock sensor and computer back off on the ignition timing, killing mileage and performance...
Good sparkplugs. the stock Densos are fine, and NGK's are tops in my book... I learned that from wankel engine Mazdas years ago.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default loss of fuel consumption

when changing your air filter to an k&n you will lose. increased horsepower causes loss of fuel.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i went san antonio and got about 35 mpg because i was driving about 65 all the way .
Old 07-20-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Re: loss of fuel consumption

Originally Posted by mushroomdreamer
when changing your air filter to an k&n you will lose. increased horsepower causes loss of fuel.
no...

the filter improves airflow characteristic , which improves horespower and eases the motors work to get air , and it's more efficient. efficiency in a combustion motor improves power output and fuel consumption rate. aka mpg.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

we noticed in most cases adding a air cleaner or intake has impoved gas milage. but you do sacifice the quiteness of OEM. many people don't see better MPG when getting an intake because the get lead foot wanting to hear the engine rev even more
Old 07-22-2006, 01:11 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've tested the injen sri with very good results in city mpg!!! which was 37 mpg but then again i was cruising 35 mph anyways...
Old 09-02-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my bro just got an exhaust for his accord and it gave him better gas mileage.. getting an exhaust or even an intake improves ur mileage?..
Old 09-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by implayaz9
my bro just got an exhaust for his accord and it gave him better gas mileage.. getting an exhaust or even an intake improves ur mileage?..
Statistically yes, BUT with these addons comes more power, so people tend to put their foot in it more, decreasing mileage.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my new Scanguage. What fun! Now I know for sure what sort of mpg I am getting. and I am amazed at the error in the speedo. I'm getting ready to make a few long roadtrips so it will be fun to see how driving habits can affect milage.

Quick Reply: How to increase my xB's Gas Mileage?