Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How to increase my xB's Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the main purpose of a scan guage
Old 09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Geeky fun is the main purpose of a scangauge.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

deffinitley even thinkgeek.com has them check it http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8426/
its practical and it can match my stereo color.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scanguage is basically a code reader but it does soo much more.

www.scanguage.com
Old 09-02-2006, 08:45 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Supertech
Scanguage is basically a code reader but it does soo much more.

www.scanguage.com
Thanks, I just ordered mine.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's pretty cool. I've noticed my mileage has increased since i've put the silencer in my Espelir. It's clearly because i now cannot hear the exhaust so i tend to keep my foot out of it.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a little FYI, the max pressure on the tire is put there by the tire manufacturer. that tire was not made specifically for a scion and can be mounted on literally thousands of vehicles with different weight/load ratings. That being said, i have personally mounted sets of tires that required extreme pressure to seat the bead. They took almost 100 psi to seat the bead and we actually placed them outside our shop door just incase the thing came apart.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the post for the scangauge. Pretty cool tool. Do you have to remove it for emissions check & service dealer work?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brijoeall
Thanks for the post for the scangauge. Pretty cool tool. Do you have to remove it for emissions check & service dealer work?
That all depends if they want to access your OBDII connector. the beauty part is that you can unplug your scanguage and it will retain all your settings in nonvolatile memory. Just plug it back in and you are good to go.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive an even combo of city and highway (20mi to and from work 5 days a week, 40mi to and from weekend job twice a month), and I've kept a spreadsheet for over 40 tanks of gas. Average is 32 MPG over the last 23 tanks.

2005 xB CM Auto, YDR short-ram intake with K&N filter, OBX iridium spark plugs, 31-33 psi in the tires, Michoku's DIY groundwire kit.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: loss of fuel consumption

Originally Posted by mushroomdreamer
when changing your air filter to an k&n you will lose. increased horsepower causes loss of fuel.
I disagree. If you breathe easier to gain HP then your engine was artificially deprived of HP thru the air resriction. Improving air flow may increase HP some, but that doesn't mean that you have to use it. If you drive the same after the K&N as you did before, you should see s slight improvement because your not asking the engine for higher RPM's to achive the same HP as before.

Also, max tire pressure listed is for maximum gross weight on said tire. The door listing of tire pressure is an engineers number based on a specific tire on a specific car at a specific weight. That weight is not usually maximum gross weight. Under inflation is a bit worse because it causes excessive heat build up. I just rented a Toyota minivan and drove to FL from PA. I put the rear tire pressure at max as listed on the sidewall. I averaged 87 MPH the whole trip and got 25-27MPG!!

Also, over inflation will tend to increase traction to a point and then a decrease if too high. I would personally run 2 pounds over in front and 4 pounds over in rear.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My K&N filter has added to mpg. I have a ScanGauge and trained myself to drive for mpg. After I added the filter I drove the same but have so far seen at least 2 mpg improvement. Since it is winter and I live in an urban area, each trip is a bit different because of temp and warmup time and length of trip, but there is a definite difference.

IMO efficiency gets added horsepower which can either be used to go faster or save on gas. Next up spark plugs.

My second choice car was the Honda Civic Hybrid but it is too small for kids and gear. So I am trying to get similar mileage w/ the roomier cheaper xB. Hauled a 4x4 piece of plywood in the back last week.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only issue with K&N or ANY other filter that "increases horsepower" by letting more air through the filter media is that the 1-3 possible HP (or 2-5 MPG) increase comes at a cost of less air filtration. That equals more engine damaging particles floating around your crankcase.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

OEM filters are quite good actually.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

not true. most of the performance filters do filter worse . but a good handful or so filter better while gaining power.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
not true. most of the performance filters do filter worse . but a good handful or so filter better while gaining power.
Care to post a link to a test showing those results?

The one I posted clearly shows Amsoil and K&N vs. a standard paper filter. Neither filter as good as paper.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

christ . i'd have to go searching for a few hours , lol.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they that hard to find?? Ha…does not surprise me at all.

Just to clarify. I do not doubt the give a tiny increase to HP and gas milage, I simply debate if the excess dirt and potential engine (and MAF) damage is worth those gains.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man thats crazy i dont know how you people get 30 mpg + . im very light footed on the gas and keep my tire pressure at 37psi , i get all the work done by the toyota dealer and i have never gotten 28mpg i average about 26.5mpg but then again i drive in traffic about 85% of the time oh well - i need to get my suzuki 650dr , my buddy tells me he gets about 58mpg
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member

Im getting 30mpg w/ a intake and sitting on 18's. I live in LA. Stop and go, and i still get 30 no matter what. about 5-6 days 9if im lucky) i fill up.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only time i really noticed a difference in my mileage was when i had to do lots of little small trips (ie stop, park the car and go multiple times). i got maybe about 26mpg then.

most of the time i'm driving 30 miles a day on the freeway, w/ some slow traffic and i've been getting 32mpg in the winter and about 35 at other times w/ minimal use of the ac - it just robs too much power

i'm usually by myself, no extra load, running mobil1, k&n, and don't drive aggressively most of the time. i have a stick shift

Quick Reply: How to increase my xB's Gas Mileage?