Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

IGN review (0-60 time here)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by couper2
Not to ____ off u tC'rs but I hope that even with the s/c that its above 6.8 for 0-60. If it isn't then its gunna beat my Celie and thats bad.
haha but then again its going to be s/c'ed, not n/a.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monsoon725

I doubt it. In this instance you aren't going to see much from the blower in the 0-60 time. In my honest opinion we are probably looking at 8+ for both times.

The real benefit will be in the quarter mile. Unfortunately, that is how centrifugal blowers work.
Ummmm....no. The only way a 200hp car will run 8 seconds 0-60 is if it takes you 2 seconds to pull off the 1-2 shift.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by ooopsij
definitely manuel transmission

i believe tC will get 0-60 in 7.5 yeah
with sc probably around 6.8

I doubt it. In this instance you aren't going to see much from the blower in the 0-60 time. In my honest opinion we are probably looking at 8+ for both times.

The real benefit will be in the quarter mile. Unfortunately, that is how centrifugal blowers work.

My GTi (MK3) is 2700 lb car that from the factory makes more torque and more horsepower. Magazines have it as 0-60 in 6.5-7.2 seconds. There is no way a heavier car with less power and torque is going to come near that range.

Adrian
sorry, but you have to remember that a S/C car doesn't "come on the turbo"... the boost is dialed in by puley size and when the compressor hits it's efficiency range, the car will see an increase in power... when the engine is spinning 1500 rpm in a T/C setup, you are making less power than if you didn't have the turbo, but in a S/C setup you are making a marginal amount more power... the power curve of an engine determines it's overall performance, not a single number - so knowing the peak hp is pretty much worthless, it will give you a ballpark, but my 3200lb car with 186hp is 0-60 in 7secs... compare that to your car and you'll see that there is no magic equation to convert hp to 0-60 times...
Old 05-30-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheBigGuyRy
If your celie is not a GTS than that's most likely going to happen. Sorry!
I'm hoping it'll break 6.5 with a few other small upgrades with the s/c... thats about what i'm aiming for.
No GT here. Silver manual GTS, no moonroof, no spoiler, ABS, sidecurtains, and alloy 16's.

Originally Posted by djimpak
haha but then again its going to be s/c'ed, not n/a.
Didn't get whatcha ment Djimpak. Are ya say'n ur tC is gunna be s/c'ed and because of that it's gunna be faster than a GTS? Not to say that it won't be. Wo, a double negitive sentence.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm saying the tC will be slightly or just faster than the GTS if it was s/c'ed but not N/A. the GTS is also 400 pounds lighter than the tC with a little more power. so if both cars were N/A, the GTS will win. if the tC was s/c'ed and the GTS was N/A then the tC would be somewhat faster. got what im trying to say?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got what your trying to say djimpak. Thanks for explaining. I agree with ya. I think the s/c'd tC will be faster to 60 than the standard n/a GTS.

TRD has hinted several times that they might be working on a supercharger for the Celica GTS. But it looks like this is the last year for the GTS and I don't really see that s/c come'n out.

tC owners rejoice! With the s/c you'll mostl likely be able to skunk Celie GTS's.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ hey no problem.

didnt blitz come out with a sc for the GTS? if so, how much boost does it produce?
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

on Car&Driver: Boost they did a review of a TRD Celica GT... they said they chose the GT because it didnt' have the VVT, so the bottom end torque was much better and made the car much more driveable... with 7.5psi it was making 164hp and something like 145lb-ft... can't remember any of the other specs...

you can probably get away with 7psi of boost on a sub 10:1 engine, but any higher you are definitely gonna need intercooling... one solution would be a water to air intercooler, so then you wouldn't need to plum all the 3" tubing, just some 1/4" or 3/8" water lines... either way it will be expensive and require lots research and sweat...

Here's a link to a air to water intercooler on ebay
Old 05-31-2004, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mgithens
Originally Posted by ooopsij
definitely manuel transmission

i believe tC will get 0-60 in 7.5 yeah
with sc probably around 6.8

My GTi (MK3) is 2700 lb car that from the factory makes more torque and more horsepower. Magazines have it as 0-60 in 6.5-7.2 seconds. There is no way a heavier car with less power and torque is going to come near that range.

Adrian
sorry, but you have to remember that a S/C car doesn't "come on the turbo"... the boost is dialed in by puley size and when the compressor hits it's efficiency range, the car will see an increase in power... when the engine is spinning 1500 rpm in a T/C setup, you are making less power than if you didn't have the turbo, but in a S/C setup you are making a marginal amount more power... the power curve of an engine determines it's overall performance, not a single number - so knowing the peak hp is pretty much worthless, it will give you a ballpark, but my 3200lb car with 186hp is 0-60 in 7secs... compare that to your car and you'll see that there is no magic equation to convert hp to 0-60 times...

Huh? This is a centrifugal blower not a roots-type positive displacement. You can't expect a centrifugal blower to make boost down low.
That just isnt how it works.

I know that the pulley size determines the boost, see my post in the "Why doesnt TRD believe in turbos" thread. I have a vortech V9 on my car, I know how superchargers and turbos work

I am sorry. Its a well known fact that centrifugal blowers don't make power OR torque until higher up in the rev range. Don't expect drastic decreases in 0-60 time. It isnt going to happen.

Adrian

Hence, you won't see a large decrease in 0-60
Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.modernracer.com/sciontc.html

this site claims a 7.5second 0-60. still much faster than my civic :p
also lists redline at 7100rpm
Old 06-01-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

8 seconds? You're joking, you know thats not gonna be the case, especially with the s/c.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djimpak
^^ hey no problem.
didnt blitz come out with a sc for the GTS? if so, how much boost does it produce?
Originally Posted by mgithens
on Car&Driver: Boost they did a review of a TRD Celica GT... they said they chose the GT because it didnt' have the VVT, so the bottom end torque was much better and made the car much more driveable... with 7.5psi it was making 164hp and something like 145lb-ft... can't remember any of the other specs...

you can probably get away with 7psi of boost on a sub 10:1 engine, but any higher you are definitely gonna need intercooling... one solution would be a water to air intercooler, so then you wouldn't need to plum all the 3" tubing, just some 1/4" or 3/8" water lines... either way it will be expensive and require lots research and sweat...
Don't remember the manufaturer, but yeah there is a s/c for the GTS out there. But, I wouldn't use it. The 2ZZ's compresion is really high and with that s/c the engine might toast itself. I think thats what ur say'n in ur 2nd paragraph, right Mgithens?
Anyways I've already got a GTS on order. It's due in a couple of weeks. I think I can live with it. Warranty won't cover a s/c GT but it certainly will a stock n/a GTS.