Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Low compression after headgasket with timing set right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Low compression after headgasket with timing set right?

I dont know what going on with this thing, Engine had a blown head gasket, replaced head gasket set timing and engine ran great. Check engine light came on showing a cam/crank correlation code P0016
I read about unlocking the intake cam phaser to get rid of this code. I Unlocked the cam phaser reinstalled and checked timing. Now the car will not start and has VERY low compression on all cylinders (showing 60-70PSI) I have been working on this thing for hours on end and cannot figureout what in the world is going on. I thought maybe I bent some valves somehow but I can removed the chain and close both valves on each cylinder with very minimal leakage (passed piston not valves)
I can also advance the intake cam gear by 4 teeth and get the cranking compression up to 110-120psi but it will not start.
I dont know how it was running great and now it wont build compression with the timing set correctly.

ANY help will be appreciated I have no where else to turn!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Just for refrence, I was taking the engine apart and found the Reluctor wheel somehow came apart and was just spinning freely on the crankshaft!!

No Idea how that happened but just incase anyone else ever runs across this issue they might wanna check that!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not had to get into that, but I assume the reluctor wheel is the crankshaft vibration damper and if it has fallen apart, you will obviously need a new one of those. I see from the valve adjustment pages that it is the basis of the valve timing, which is why you are not getting the valves timed properly.

I suspect it should be keyed to the crankshaft and the nut holding it on probably has a really high torque. Has the key failed? or is it just the wheel?

Unfortunately I do not have a complete manual so I can't help, but it is probably worth you buying access to those on-line manuals to find out how to fix it. Alldata is one of them, there are probably more (helminc). Buy a short time period and download as many pages as you think necessary is what I've heard. Have not done it though.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 PM

I got it fixed, the relucter wheel has a small washer like deal spot welded to it that has the slot for the keyway in it, the spot welds broke loose so it wasn't spinning with the crankshaft.
I lined it back up and welded it back together reinstalled everything and it fired right up!
Old 05-25-2022, 09:55 PM

Default Reluctor wheel location

Originally Posted by Fullforce
I got it fixed, the relucter wheel has a small washer like deal spot welded to it that has the slot for the keyway in it, the spot welds broke loose so it wasn't spinning with the crankshaft.
I lined it back up and welded it back together reinstalled everything and it fired right up!
hello. I think I have this exact issue. Please tell me where to find this reluctor wheel and what kind of welding. Thanks and regards Pappy
Old 05-25-2022, 11:05 PM

It was on the crankshaft behind the timing chain, I notice it wasnt spinning when I had someone else cranking the engine over.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2022, 11:23 PM

Default Scion xB

Thanks for the reply but I should have said mine is the Scion xB 1.5L Toyota But the noise sound is what you’re saying. So far I installed new timing chain, starter,water pump,alternator, timing chain cover, crankshaft sensor. Lol. So I’m stuck to fix it now. Thanks again though. I’m now 100% it is what you described. But the wheel behind my lower timing sprocket is different and doesn’t move or jiggle. Regards Pappy.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:30 PM

ahhh gotcha... hope you get it figured out!