Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual 2006 xA vibrating when not on gas, engine up against fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:09 PM
CST

Default Manual 2006 xA vibrating when not on gas, engine up against fan

While I was driving home on the highway this past weekend, my car started making loud vibrating type noises when I was not on the accelerator. After looking at it, and finding nothing wrong (stopped at a gas station in the middle of the night, so wanted to get out of there as soon as possible), I managed to drive the remaining 2 hours home, but with very loud engine noises any time I wasn't accelerating past the first maybe inch of the throttle. It also seems to make a large clunking noise whenever I shift too quickly. Some people I have asked seem to think it's a spark plug issue, with one of the cylinders not firing, but nothing came up on the codes (other than the evap system codes that have been there for years), some think it's a motor mount issue. When I took a look at the engine, all parts of the engine assembly, specifically the intake and the intake manifold seem to be pressed up against the fan housing.

Any ideas what it might be and how much it might cost to get fixed? anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-27-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:13 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

motor mounts need replacing?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:17 PM
CST

I'm not sure. I can't see that far down. The one on the passenger side seems perfectly fine, but the rear one might be faulty. You think that's the problem, or would I need to take it to a shop to find out?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's very labor intensive to replace the the one in the back of the motor. from what i've seen
Old 11-28-2017, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have a friend watch the engine while you are in the drivers seat, Handbrake hard on, put it into first and start letting the clutch out with a little bit of throttle - just for a couple of seconds, then stop. Have them note the amount of engine movement. Do the same in reverse.

You may be able to do the same trick as above with the car on a level surface, engine off, but in first gear and try to rock the car backwards and forwards (handbrake off)

Sounds like more than one mount has failed