Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Mods and the Butt Dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mods and the Butt Dyno...

I know the xb isnt the fastest car in the world, and thats not what im concerned about. My mom has a xb and im aware of how it drives stock. But what about with added mods like i/h/e... how does the butt dyno react to them? Is there a noticeable difference as far as how the car reacts and how it feels? Im sure the answer is yes, but EH, im just worried i'll be dissapointed.

With my v6 tiburon, it reacted VERY well to those mods, pretty much a 30 hp increase over stock.

I just want to know that ill get a nice hard pull under heavy acceleration and that i will be able to pass a car easily if i need to.

Let me know guys.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I drove my xB for appx 4k miles before any I/H/E mods were put on, because there wasn't any. After being used to driving it stock, you will be able to tell the difference once those parts are added. Though they may not be as noticable as your Tibbie, but they are. I noticed a difference just in the two different SRIs that Ive had on my xB.

My xB has no problems passing at highway speeds.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

mm i dunno my car was stock performance wise for maybe 4 weeks. if that.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have yet to do the header, but the SRI was a mod that was very obvious, the exhaust more subtle . Overall those along with the throttle cable mod and ground wires really made the car seem more willing to rev throughout the powerband, better driveability in general. It probably isn't a huge difference on the dyno but it FEELS at least 20% more powerful.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i have ground wire kit , intake , header , full exhaust , lightweight pulley , some weight removed.
as well as

i've just bought but have yet to install a voltage stabilizer , ngk iridium plugs , and the weapon r engine damper.

lets just say i've beaton one f/i xB as well as beat stock auto tc's can ang with stock manual tc's . and have beat many a people in races to my surprise. and am currently running a best of 15.8 quarter mile.

my mileage would be the same i guess. i get like 25 to 32 but i ALWAYS have my foot in it

driving my car back to back with a stock or less modified xB and oh man night and fricking day. i'd kill myself if i was that slow.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious... where did you remove the weight from?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool guys. good news so far.

whats the throttle cable mod? i dont think i saw it in the tech section.

also, the lightweight pulley... is it the same size as stock or smaller than stock? im sort of worried about that because i know/heard that its not the best in case you plan on or have a system in the car. im not that savy with systems or anything but i guess if its smaller than stock, it will drain the... damn, i dont even know what im talkin about. you know what im sayin though.

thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a search for the throttle cable mod... basically you adjust a few nuts that take the slack out of the cable. It's a placebo thing but it really makes the car feel peppier.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

i stepped up gradually, first JIC exhaust, then injen SRI the megan racing headers; and i felt quite a bit of dyno after the addition of the megan headers, (weapon r's headers have gotten quite a good review if you'll b in the market)

i/h/e is worth it imho
Old 12-16-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i removed the header brace , rear tie down braces . and heat sheilds. not much weight but ads much as one can on a daily 5 passenger.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by David_Seale
cool guys. good news so far.

whats the throttle cable mod? i dont think i saw it in the tech section.

also, the lightweight pulley... is it the same size as stock or smaller than stock? im sort of worried about that because i know/heard that its not the best in case you plan on or have a system in the car. im not that savy with systems or anything but i guess if its smaller than stock, it will drain the... damn, i dont even know what im talkin about. you know what im sayin though.

thanks for the help guys.
I highly recommend getting a kit from NST, www.NonStopTuning.com

You can get both an underdrive crank pulley as well as an overdrive alternator pulley from NST. The underdrive crank pulley will slow down the accessories, sending less power to them and more to the wheels. The overdrive alternator pulley will spin the alternator faster (speed up) which is great for people with stereo mods. You can also get a stock diameter crank pulley from a few other companies but the gains that you see from those pulleys will not be as good as the NST stuff.

Keeping the crank pulley stock sized and making it lighter will improve throttle responce, while underdriving will result in even better throttle responce as well as some extra horsepower.

Good luck with your box man
Old 12-17-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

as well as weaker output from a/c , power steering , alternator..........
Old 12-17-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so those are the downsides of the lightened pulleys?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
The NST kit comes with an OVERDRIVE alternator pulley to take care of any potential downside as a result of the underdrive crank pulley. People with NST alternator pulleys actually see better results than those with stock ones. Even without the overdrive alternator pulley there will NOT be a noticeable difference unless you are running a MASSIVE audio system.

Also the difference in a/c and powersteering output is not big enough to be noticeable in these cars. I know I can not tell the difference of whether or not my a/c is blowing out at 40degrees or 45degrees, can you?

There are a lot of myths out there regarding pulleys, most are theoretical arguments and are not applicable in the real world with other variables involved.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, i have i/h/e, weight removed as well as suspension and other mods. But, stock obviously the xb performs very poorly.

On the highway, i have no problem at all passing me people, power doesn't seem to be a problem until around 90mph..but of course, under daily driving conditions you wouldn't reach that speed anyway. I don't atleast.

As for the i/h/e i have aem cai, dc sport header and jic exhaust. Jic responded to i/h a lot better than i thought. Dyno proven.

Cya
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by hPower
Originally Posted by hotbox05
The NST kit comes with an OVERDRIVE alternator pulley to take care of any potential downside as a result of the underdrive crank pulley. People with NST alternator pulleys actually see better results than those with stock ones. Even without the overdrive alternator pulley there will NOT be a noticeable difference unless you are running a MASSIVE audio system.

Also the difference in a/c and powersteering output is not big enough to be noticeable in these cars. I know I can not tell the difference of whether or not my a/c is blowing out at 40degrees or 45degrees, can you?

There are a lot of myths out there regarding pulleys, most are theoretical arguments and are not applicable in the real world with other variables involved.
if u use underdrive crank yet use an overdrive alt the benefits of underdrive crank are nil......
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally not that big of a fan of underdriven pulleys.

Light weights do just fine.

Cya
Old 12-20-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="killerxromances"] On the highway, i have no problem at all passing me people, power doesn't seem to be a problem until around 90mph..but of course, under daily driving conditions you wouldn't reach that speed anyway."

::smirks::

I know thats not the case with me...

I just installed a Fujita F5 Air Intake System and a Voltage Regulator... I feel the difference, I cant wait to get my heeders....
Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was thinkin about the f5 short ram... for those of you who are familiar... does it have the same design as the injen? im really looking to either get the injen or the comprable one(forgot the name) that has the k&n filter with it. but if the fujita one is similar, ill get that one.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I was pleased with the YDR (Injen design). Best bang for buck.

Quick Reply: Mods and the Butt Dyno...