Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

need help! APEXI AFC NEO

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default need help! APEXI AFC NEO

i bought an afc for my xa and im having some wiring trouble. if anyone has one or one like it can u please help me thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can you be more specific? What issues are you having?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's really easy to wire in, just use the instructions and wiring diagram that came in the package, you will want to use the "toyota BB" ECU reference in the wiring diagram.
pm me if you need help, i had mine wired in about 15 minutes.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not done any wiring before and I'm having problems locateing where to attach the "ground" wire (Brown, Black) to the ECU (T12-a, diagram). I have all the other wires setup, but there is no ground wire located on the ECU harness where the diagram states there should be. Is there another way to setup the "ground" or am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there any gains with this?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gains to be made if you have turbo / supercharger. for N/A motors very VERY minimal gains can be made, but it is pretty useful for monitoring different things, like air flow, throttle position, data logging, and battery guage, and a few other... i will check my ground wire, and see WTF it is connected, i did it a few years ago so i am slightly fuzzy. although there IS a ground wire coming out of the ECU you may want to search the forum for an updated diagram of the ECU for your year - mine is an 04 and it matched the diagram exactly. Both ECU diagrams are the same for XA and XB. i believe that APEX-I also has updated diagrams on their website. i'll check and get back to you.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can tell you by looking at the diagram you have, it's incorrect. i will try to find you the correct one to use. i just looked on their website, and our engines are not listed on the Neo wiring diagram. you need to use the wiring diagram from the S-afc 2 model. i'll find it and send it to you or post it
Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, the 2006 ECU has a different pinout then the 04/05 models. i am working on getting you the correct diagram. hope you didn't splice anything yet, the wires may be wrong i'm not sure how many are incorrect though.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
also, the 2006 ECU has a different pinout then the 04/05 models. i am working on getting you the correct diagram. hope you didn't splice anything yet, the wires may be wrong i'm not sure how many are incorrect though.
Yes I have spliced, but nothing that can't be fixed. Yeah the diagram must be wrong because the dials don't respond right and the unit turns off when I turn my head lights on, lol (FYI, as an experiment I linked the ground wire to the Radio Illuminator wire and the unit turns on with the igition switch, the fuel A/F settings seem to take affect but all else is wacky. Help.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still trying to track down the new ecu pinout but i'll have it sooon
Old 12-18-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is the 06 pinout "i think" i am waiting for a source to 100% confirm that this is the 06 pinout for the 1nz-fe engine. Compare this to the diagram that came with your afcneo. I looked it over, and this diagram doens't show what wire the ground is, but i know its in there. you may have to use the process of ellimination on all pins that are shown in the diagram, but are not accounted for. use a somple multi-meter and check for ground against a good ground near the ecu, like a bolt in the frame, or your ignition ring. once you find the ground wire, it must be tapped in 2 places very close to each other, JUST LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SPECIFY, or the unit won't work properly, use this to compare, but wait untill i get confirmation from my source that this is the 06 pinout. at a glance, it is completely different then the 2004 / 2005 pinout diagram.
oh damn, i can't attach a pdf to this message, PM me your e-mail address, and i will send it to you at once. [/url]
Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe this will work?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...ID=99595854607
if not pm me e-mail address and i will send you the pinout diagram
Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, has been verified, the ECU ground is on terminal E5 pin # 3
Old 12-21-2006, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IH8ONYU, I sent you a PM with my email. Looking forward to the pinout.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I've got the new pin-out. Getting ready to re-splice stuff. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Thanks!!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, the skinney on the AFC Neo, piggy-back air fuel controller, installed on my `06 n/a XA running a short-ram intake, DC header, High-flow cat (no resonator), and custom exhaust w/N1 styled muffler.

First, I originally got the Neo after experiencing some very lean fuel settings by the stock ECU. With all that free flowing air in and out of the engine I guess it doesn't take much fuel to get things going. As for fuel economy I was getting roughly 38mpg.

Now with the Neo installed properly things have changed, dramatically. I just needed the A/F mixure richened up a bit in the 4-6k rpm range without the use of a Wide Band Uego, dyno testing, or causing an ECL. I found just upping the mixture percentage between 1-5% was my best bet for increasing power.
The AFC Neo helped me to richen my A/F mixture beyond the lean settings of the stock ECU, which has resulted in much greater power in the high rpm range. Actually I'm quite shocked at how strong the car pulls at 5k rpm, in all gears, with just that small of a change in the mixture. I found that on a small car like the XA, small changes can make a big difference actually a much greater difference then the initial I/H/E setup .

Note; on the new Greddy 1nz-fe 2006 ECU pinout, that the E6-#28 didn't work right for the "Air Flow Sensor", so I switched to the old E6-#24 pin position from earlier pinouts and all sensors checked out fine.

Much thanks to IH8ONYU and EnvyMe for helping out[/img]
Old 12-23-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let us know how it is working after a few days, and again after a few weeks. I'd like to know if the stock ECU begins compensating for the adjustments the AFC-NEO makes.

Also, if you can afford it, and have a local place try and get the car dyno'd with and without the AFC. It would be great to see what kind of gains, if any you get.

Glad to see you got it up and working.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Let us know how it is working after a few days, and again after a few weeks. I'd like to know if the stock ECU begins compensating for the adjustments the AFC-NEO makes.

Also, if you can afford it, and have a local place try and get the car dyno'd with and without the AFC. It would be great to see what kind of gains, if any you get.

Glad to see you got it up and working.
Well I plugged up the Neo and was able to adjust the A/F as expected. But eventually the ECU re-corrected the A/F map and I was back to square 1. I reset the ECU by unplugging the EFI fuse and richened up the settings a bit more as an experiment. With the new slightly rich settings the ecu tripped the CEL. I read on Scion Life that sometimes this can result in the ECU using some sort of lean default A/F map which can be too lean for the engine. Frustrated, I just richened up the settings again, but did not reset the ECU (leaving the CEL on). The next day I started the car and drove around town and to my surprise my AFC settings stuck, the car was no longer running lean and was responding correctly to AFC settings. I've driven over a 1k miles since then (with the ECU tripped) and have experimented with many A/F settings and the car has consistently responded and maintained the new A/F maps. It appears that when the ECU trips it no longer makes corrections to the A/F map, in this case allowing for corrections to be made from an AFC.
My results, on the rode, have been the ability richen up A/F settings at the 4k-6k rpm range for much more power than what the ECU was generating. Also now when I increase octane or switch from short ram to CAI the power is noticable and consistent with no correction from the ECU.
Once again, the AFC I'm useing is the Apexi Neo with the ECU tripped.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had to bump this and dig it up from the dead for some more info...

is the neo still working?