Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Need help making a decision on a exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Need help making a decision on a exhaust

Just wanted some suggestions on what exhaust to get. I want something just a tad bit deeper in terms of growl at idle as well as under 3Krpms when I'm driving; yet want something quiet when I'm doing 50-70plus mph? I hate exhausts systems that drone during long drives. It gives me a headache after a while driving with such a sound...

The xB is basically my gf's so she doesn't want anything too loud but have a mild agressive rumble. Which exhaust system should I go with?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

TRD or greddy
Old 01-14-2006, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i have greddy, its pretty quiet besides when ur flooring the car or driving over 100, then the exhaust is LOUD, other then that, driving is pretty acceptable
Old 01-14-2006, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

RS-R GT2. Its the deepest exhaust Ive heard on a low-powered NA 4 cyclinder car (versus neons, civics, integras, etc). Not horribly loud, VERY deep, and very clean. It may help that I also have the Injen intake. So yea, go RSR.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the strup v 2.0 ive got ...is pretty deep & loud..not raspy but deep/loud...though ive got the strup headers along with it which has made it louder

i love it lol
Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Espelir is good too -- deep and low tone, reasonably loud at idle and especially loud at 3000 rpm, but from 70-80 mph/3500-4000 rpm(manual) it's quieter than stock by a lot. 60mph/3000 rpm can be a bit tiring though, but I drive faster than that in most cases.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greddy Evo 2 , it's just right !!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

the fujiz says the strup. to me its just the right tone. the fuji likes it. chek my sig.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thanks guys, I'll take your suggestions into considerations. I'll look up more info on each to make a final decision.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

STRUP, the version 2 axleback is nice. If I didn't have my custom center exit, I would have the STRUP version 2.

Or you could always find a muffler shop that stocks Magnaflow and get a universal w/ tip for around $200 installed. Just make sure its the street series, not the race.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not a fan of all those cars running around with the coffee can exhaust poking out the a$$-end. What I did on mine was install a DC Sports header, then had a muffler shop run some 2.25" pipe from the cat back. They replaced the stock resonator with an 18" glasspack, and I had them install a seamless Flowmaster knockoff muffler with a 3" tip. I think I spent something like $400 for everything (header, muffler, tip, labor to install header and fabricate pipe). It's got a nice sound to it throughout the entire rpm range, and doesn't get loud or annoying at all. It doesn't pop or fart either, so it's got the right amount of back pressure and exhaust flow going. Any good muffler shop should be able to get this work done for you.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would have to say Injen. It's not loud and you won't get the droning sound while driving. The links below are off of Injens website. They did a db test and just a sound clip .

Sound Clip

db Test

Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...2&parts_id=436

Josh
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Need help making a decision on a exhaust

Originally Posted by 05_JDM_bB
The xB is basically my gf's so she doesn't want anything too loud but have a mild agressive rumble. Which exhaust system should I go with?
If I were doing this to my girlfriend's car, I would buy something on the milder side. I have a Borla, and at idle it is very quiet. At highway speeds is also very quiet. The only time I really hear it is when I am hard on the gas. I like this muffler a lot. Nice deep tone, not obnoxious, and when I want to hear it more I open the rear windows.

As a side note, when I first got it, it was louder, but that sound seemed to be cut in half when I sound-deadened my hatch. And now that I have sound-deadened 80% of the car, I can barely hear the exhaust on the highway, or at idle. In fact, it is way quieter than stock at idle or on the highway now, but still sounds good when put it to the wood.

So... if you make a mistake and she can't stand the noise, sound-deaden your hatch to save your relationship.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow no defintae answer on this one , I sold one of my cars this past year and one of the reasons was the exhaust I put on was WAY too loud, so I am very hesitant on doing this mod until I can hear them in person...
Old 01-21-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Be sure to check out the www.precisionmuffler.com axleback. I love mine. Besides not droning as much, the oval muffler just looks cleaner, not like the round ones, IMO which all start looking the same.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'd eliminate the TRD. It's quite droney at highway speeds.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Need help making a decision on a exhaust

Originally Posted by peckhammer
Originally Posted by 05_JDM_bB
If I were doing this to my girlfriend's car, I would buy something on the milder side. I have a Borla, and at idle it is very quiet. At highway speeds is also very quiet. The only time I really hear it is when I am hard on the gas. I like this muffler a lot. Nice deep tone, not obnoxious, and when I want to hear it more I open the rear windows.

As a side note, when I first got it, it was louder, but that sound seemed to be cut in half when I sound-deadened my hatch. And now that I have sound-deadened 80% of the car, I can barely hear the exhaust on the highway, or at idle. In fact, it is way quieter than stock at idle or on the highway now, but still sounds good when put it to the wood.

So... if you make a mistake and she can't stand the noise, sound-deaden your hatch to save your relationship.
Yeah that's basically what I was thinking. I noticed the xB is quite hollow when it comes to outside noise. I just have to find time to do that to the hatch. I'd like to do the whole car but I can't imagine the weight it would put on it.

What type of deadener did you use? Dynamat?