Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

NEWS: the SPFR intake is awesome!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default NEWS: the SPFR intake is awesome!!

ok everyone. i don't know if jon even wants me to talk about this but i have to say something. i had the opportunity to try out a prototype version of the SPFR intake on friday. he has dyno numbers but as far as an unbiased, real world point of view...it's awesome. the car feels SO much faster now. and i'm not just saying that because he told me to. it really is faster.

now for some info. jon (SPFR) did not just make an intake and sell it. he made several prototypes, including a short ram design. he then took the one that made the most HP according to dyno results, and then tried various filters to see which flowed the best. the result is an intake that is better than anything else previously released for the scions. the intake is not made of metal, but it is made of high quality plastic that will not melt or discolor, and better yet it does not conduct heat. it rejects heat, actually. this allows cooler intake temperatures, even when the engine compartment is very hot. i challenge anyone to compare the SPFR intake to AEM, injen, E.L. prototypes, etc. i think the SPFR one is better. the pipe itself uses a transitional bend that goes from the small throttle body opening to a standard 3" filter for maximum airflow.

you can expect to see around 4 wheel horsepower gain with just this intake installed. if you also add the new SPFR exhaust that is coming soon, there is almost a 20 wheel horsepower increase (but don't quote me on that. wait for dyno sheets). these numbers have already been verified. there is more to designing an exhaust than just relieving backpressure. i have been very impressed with jon's knowledge and i think that SPFR parts are going to revolutionize scion tuning. again, i do not work for jon, and even though he could beat me up pretty bad if he wanted to, i am going to say how i honestly feel, and i feel that there is some awesome stuff coming from SPFR. better than the japanese products currently available. don't let marketing hype fool you into buying an inferior product. when people start getting stuff from SPFR, you will know it. those people will have the fast cars.

anyway, i just wanted to share my thoughts on the new intake system and let you guys know that jon really doesn't like to post on these forums, but he does have a lot of knowledge and he knows what he's doing from years and years of fabrication and design. he doesn't just put out products to make money. he thoroughly tests them before they are released. everything is done right and nothing is exagerated or lies like we have seen from other tuning companies.

there are other products coming out from SPFR and i will be reviewing them as i try them out.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know what the price is gonna be on this?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: NEWS: the SPFR intake is awesome!!

Originally Posted by eric m.
you can expect to see around 4 wheel horsepower gain with just this intake installed. if you also add the new SPFR exhaust that is coming soon, there is almost a 20 wheel horsepower increase (but don't quote me on that. wait for dyno sheets). these numbers have already been verified.
i'm very impressed that the SPFR intake and exhaust can yield a 20% increase in power. thats better than some turbos and superchargers!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow...20 WHEEL HORSEPOWER...from an intake and exhaust. We'll have to see I guess. Sounds a little too good to be true.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ..

funny you wrote about it being made of plastic.......I was under the hood of my xB with an AEM intake, when I touched it and was surprised how hot the aluminum tubing was. Got me to wondering why they made it from aluminum, since it is such a good conductor of heat. Only makes sense that it would get hot under the hood and transfer that heat to the air passing through it. I can only guess that is lees expensive to make it from aluminum, plus then it can be polished to look "cool"(Although I could care less about the looks).

Any way I still have the stock intake plumbing and it's made of plastic, most likely for just that reason. Sounds like that SPFR might be pretty nice.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

when r they going on sale?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

in the next couple weeks. i'm sure there will be an announcement. i don't work for them so i don't know the price or release date. i was just commenting on the performance and quality.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20 HP does sound kinda strange from a intake and exhaust.. a 10 HP sounds a little more reasonable...but even that is pushing it.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by KOMPLEX
20 HP does sound kinda strange from a intake and exhaust.. a 10 HP sounds a little more reasonable...but even that is pushing it.
i am just throwing out a round number. it's pretty high though. i think the xB baselined at 89whp and it ended up with 108whp with the intake and exhaust. all on the same day, same temperature, same dyno settings, etc. i cannot speak for SPFR and i do not have dyno sheets in my possession, but i did see them with my own eyes, and the results are very impressive. 20hp sounds like BS to me too, but that's what i saw. also, if you saw me and jon racing on the freeway on saturday, he smoked me. i had the SPFR intake and he had the prototype SPFR exhaust. he literally walked away from me like nothing, and he had the stock intake. and my car isn't slow. trust me. i think when i get the exhaust the results will be impressive, as long as the production piece is as good as the prototype. i am not sure. maybe his piece is a fluke, but i don't think so. jon knows what he's doing. he has built many cars including a very fast RHD civic sir (crx). anyway, i don't need to defend him. i'm just saying what i saw. if i find out he is lying i will expose him. but i honestly do think he is telling the truth. if anything, i wouldn't trust the big performance companies who have a lot of "engineers" working on their new products but really aren't getting results. the magazine tests are proof of that.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'll believe it when I see the dyno sheets showing multiple runs. Not to say the intake and exhaust didn't make a noticable improvement, but 20whp is ALOT to ask from a 1.5l.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

THE RETAIL PRICE IS $249.95 TSW MEMBERS GET DISCOUNT PM ADRIAN VICE PRES OF TSW. RELEASE DATE IS OCT 13TH
Old 09-30-2003, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SPFRBOX
THE RETAIL PRICE IS $249.95 TSW MEMBERS GET DISCOUNT PM ADRIAN VICE PRES OF TSW. RELEASE DATE IS OCT 13TH
SPFR products will be available on my site www.scionsporttuning.com Unfortunately I have not updated my website but I have a lot of users in this forum willing to help me set up my site. I only will promote products that actually work and is of good quality. So far I have SPFR, Bbist products, should have Spy Engineering soon as well. Also I would like to work with Rob (Genesis) and offer some shirts with Scion related stuff on it.

By the way..Jon actually is not screaming out loud..he always types in CAPS since he is used to it..so don't think he is yelling.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by NCP31

I'll believe it when I see the dyno sheets showing multiple runs. Not to say the intake and exhaust didn't make a noticable improvement, but 20whp is ALOT to ask from a 1.5l.
I have all the dyno sheets in electronic form scanned from the originals. It yielded about 7.2 HP gain and also it was measured for loudness as well and it came lower that 89dB which is way below the legal limit of 95dB..it's got a nice tone and doesn't sound ricey either.

I don't have figures yet for the intake but I am certain it should be well in line or higher than AEM, Injen etc.

Once I get the dyno sheets of the intake from Jon, I will post all the dyno sheets on my site www.scionsporttuning.com ..that's if I have the ok from Jon...
Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

don't roll your eyes, vishnu. the last thing you need here is a bad rep like you have on the subaru and mitsubishi forums.

but i will apologize because i did spout out a number without having the sheets in front of me. i will now revise my total HP improvement with intake and exhaust to 11whp, and it might be more.

please try to make a better exhaust. good luck.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

7.2 WHP!?! You have sparked my interest..... Let's see dyno charts..!! Anything to make this car faster!! wooo hoooooo (i just got spanked by a prelude )

Eric.. I hope you didn't take the comment the wrong way. You should know where I'm coming from. Remember when you had your WRX and people said 20-30 HP off of intercooler piping, exhaust intake blah blah.. Anyways by hearing the R&D that's going into those parts, and the claim of 7WHP off of the exhaust, it seems like like the claim of the 11whp it going to be met.

But then again..you have the nitrous and the bags ..

and I apologize for my eye rolling.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i know how much power mods add. that is why i am so excited about the 3-4whp gain from the intake. on a wrx, an intake adds 0hp. but part of that reason is because the intake on a turbocharged car is just an ambient intake and the real air is coming from the uppipe (joint pipe) coming off the exhaust manifold (headers). another reason is because the wrx has a well designed intake that provides cold air from the front of the car. it is silenced in a resonator and then fed to the turbocharger inlet.

anyway, a catback exhaust on a wrx gives you maybe 5-6whp. maybe. and that is on a 200+hp car with 2.5" piping. the fact that we have proof that a 2" catback can show gains of over 7whp on a 90whp car is amazing to me. and i saw several dyno charts. i saw a page with 4 runs, each a different color with no mods. the lines were all the same, within .1hp of each other. then i saw another chart with a baseline and then the run with the new catback setup. there was no loss in HP or torque anywhere on the chart, and there was a significant improvement throughout the powerband. i'm sure these results will be posted eventually.

by the way, a lot of people don't know this but jon (SPFR) has been working with the 1NZ-FE since the echo first came out several years ago. he is familiar with what is effective on these small engines and he knows that there are different approaches to take when dealing with performance on a 100hp engine than with a 300-500hp supra engine or whatever.

KOMPLEX: it's cool. i just should have never started this topic.

i hate talking about performance numbers because no one agrees with anyone. everyone always has their own opinion and these kinds of threads turn into a big flame war. i would like to avoid that if possible. no one is always right when it comes to cars. there are smart people and stupid people, but no one person has all the knowledge and answers to everything. i realized that a while back and now i take things with a grain of salt and kind of listen to everyone and make my own decisions.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so... the sxhaust is cat back system? or just rear exhaust? ...and for $250...sounds like a great deal...sign me up
Old 09-30-2003, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

to install the exhaust, you just cut the stock pipe right before the resonator and then clamp on the new one. anyone can do it with a hacksaw and socket set. so it is a cat back system since it bolts on right after the cat. all the other exhausts right now are pretty much just mufflers which don't do much for performance.

stylis has a full catback exhaust, although i have no idea how much power it adds.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and ideas how loud the exhaust is? is there a need for another resonator?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey Eric,

Sorry about the but 20whp was a big number to throw out to the masses without dyno sheets for proof. I didn't badmouth the products, just the number. 11whp sounds more reasonable considering the tiny exhaust piping and huge resonator.

Bad reputation? Us? You must be joking. :D Unless you're talking about the DSMtooning community.

*I don't hate DSMs, but the DSM community hates us!*

Quick Reply: NEWS: the SPFR intake is awesome!!