Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

OEM Air Filter to K&N Filter DIY w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OEM Air Filter to K&N Filter DIY w/Pics

Alright, I know most of you can change an air filter blindfolded, but this was my first time changing it and I thought It would be cool to make a DIY guide while I was out there. I haven't seen any guides for this that included pictures so maybe this will help someone like me who's never done this before. Feel free to let me know if I left any steps out or did something wrong.

Step 1: Get yourself a K&N air filter! Then locate the intake box, this is where the filter is kept.

Step 2: Loosen the metal clamp that holds the intake tube to the intake box. Then disconnect the tube from the box,.

Step 3: Pull back the tabs on the front of the box, this will free the front side of the box lid. Open the lid slightly and pull it towards yourself and the lid will come off completely.

At this point the OEM filter should be visible. Go ahead and take it out but note the orientation of the filter. There is one corner that is different from the others on the filter, this is to help you orient the filter correctly.

Step 4: Replace the OEM filter with your K&N filter, note that the block corner goes on the front right.

**SIDE NOTE**: From 2006 and on, Scion started to include a charcoal filter inside the upper lid. The purpose of this was to reduce emissions, but some people say that you can increase air flow by removing it. I would recommend leaving this filter alone since it can help you by capturing excess oil from the filter if you oil it too much. But if your feeling adventurous then you can try to remove it, but it's riveted in there and the only way to take it out is with a drill. WARNING: Do not remove if you live in California, this filter is required by law there.

Step 5: Put everything back together. Clean the top of your air box and slap the K&N warning label on it, this should keep someone from accidentally throwing away your reusable filter.

Now your done! The box that the filter came in said that it only needs to be cleaned every 50,000 miles, but if you live in a dusty area then maybe you'll have to clean it a little more often. Enjoy never having to buy another filter again. Also, you may have noticed I removed the snorkel from my intake box, you can do this too if you want. It supposed to increase gas mileage by giving you engine hotter air. Basically your trading Horsepower for better gas mileage. Try at your own risk.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice my friend. Thank you for the step by step.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Thanks!!

Great job!!I just hope mine has that do not discard sticker!!Thats a great write up!!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, if you need any more info or clarification just let me know.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Now all you need to do is remove the snorkel, and all the crap that's on the inside of the top portion of the air box (weird looking fiber material, and about 6 inches of useless 1.25 in diamater plastic tubing) like I did and you'll have an intake that flows better than most of the CAI's on the market, and collects air from a better spot than the short rams (imo) ... That's what I did, and no $hit my car is louder than a box with an injen cai or short ram, and the aem cai (having personally rode in a box that had one of each) .... My buddy with the injen short ram is the only one who is pulling more HP than I am, but he has headers and an underdrive pulley, and BARELY beats me on a 35-90mph run he gets me by about 3/4 of a car length everytime. All I'm running is modified air box, and a ebay exhaust W/ silencer
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tell us more...

Im interested in tring this ,any pictures of the procedure?I saw an artical where someone took there oem filter box and a Dremel and opened the box like a slice of swiss cheese,I cant find the artical now that Im looking for it.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Tell us more...

Originally Posted by Davidjames
Im interested in tring this ,any pictures of the procedure?I saw an artical where someone took there oem filter box and a Dremel and opened the box like a slice of swiss cheese,I cant find the artical now that Im looking for it.
lemme take a couple more shots and drink another beer... I work nights lol. I'll take some pics of what I did and post them on this thread... go for a sticky... the intake setup I'm running only cost me an hour and a half of free time and a K&N airfilter but provides much more not just in HP but improved on the mpg by about 3 mpg avg per tank... even still driving it to about 3800 rpm minimum before shifting.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

K so I am sufficiently buzzed here's some pics for the inquisitive...

Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Haha, nice DIY. I would try that but I don't want to do anything that I couldn't undo. Just a quick update on my k&n filter, there seems to be no noticeable difference in HP or gas mileage for me, but this is ok because i mainly bought because it's reusable.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 4/22 Just got filter...

Got the filter ,took 10 min to put it in,if that.I took off the snorkle too.Lets see how it is? Should I oil this first ?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

nah the filter comes pre-oiled