Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

optima yellow top?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default optima yellow top?

which yellow top fits the 06' xB the best ?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why are you installing an Optoma battery?
if you looking to upgrade the electrical system to handle more electronics............. the best way to do it is with a high amp altenator.
the bettery is only a storage bank and does nothing to help with large electrical demand.

if your doing for looks thats cool.
but the thing i don't like about Optima batteries is that they don't "start" to get week and you know its getting close to needing a new one, they just die, with no worning.
ive had 3 (2 red, 1 yellow) and they all did it after about 2 years.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The tops do not determine the size of the battery, but what the battery does. The red top is basically a direct car replacement battery, but it is a sealed gel cell battery. Which means you can put it anywhere or upside down for instance. The Yellow is a deep cycle battery, it is for something that needs greater electrical demand. It holds more charge for longer than the red. The blue top is for marine application. It is made to go through seasonal changes and not be used for a period of time with out going flat, like most batteries.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

34/78 is the size you want if you're going with the Yellow Top. I just got one the other day. It might be just like the "butt dyno", but I really think I noticed a difference in how my system played. It may be me just wanting it or maybe it really does who knows. I do know, my lights do not dim at all. And I have 1400 watts rms coming from 2 JL amps. So I think that says something for the battery. My lights used to dim horribly with the stocker, I thought my car was gonna shut down, with how much they did.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the battery is a good idea. Not trying to bash anyone but when looking for mor electrical power there is many things that one should know. If you install a high amp alternator without a battery to keep up with it you are going to keep the alternator charging at a much longer time frame then the normal alterntor and possibly fry a voltage regulator or the alternator wire itself or worse even the battery. When you choose a battery you want something with a higher amper hour and a high cca rating. A cheap battery normally has a lower amperhour which means that if you put a draw of say 25 amps on it and it is 100 amperhours it wouldn't last very long. Basically when you buy a gel cell battery like optima it takes it longer to drain down which means that your alternator does not need to charge as often hence why lights no longer dim that did before and sometimes the car will even feel as if it has more power because now you are not losing any power going to your coil. So in my opinion optima or similar battery=great idea if you are running any non stock electronics.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the alternator isn't always trying to charge that battery.
having a 600 cca battrery with a 140 amp alternator will not kill the alternator or the battery.
now having a huge electrical demand ALL the time on a 80 amp alternator could damage the alternator.
or running your battery too low alot can also damage the battery.
realy, i promis you, all a battery is for is to start the car and to run electrical stuff when the engine is off.
once the engine has been started "everything" runs off the alternator.
you don't have to belive me, im just tring to help with what i "know" to be true.
you could always call up your local E.E.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

either way how ever you look at it you can choose either depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Whats an E.E?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Electrical Engineer
most "good" car sterio shops have one

an optima battery would be great if you run alot of stuff when the car is off.
what the optima battery is commenly used for is racing, beacuse the battery will last the entire race and they don't have to run an altereator. then when the race is over just threw it on a deep cycle charger.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats what I thought it stood for. No wonder I disagreed, I've never agreed with any engineers haha. I'm ase and toyota certified in electrical and every other area for that matter except auto transmissions. I don't like engineers, they make my life difficult. ha. Nice car by the way.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i understand were you are comming from, i too have a long history of hands on work in auto shops and ive found my self meny times scraching my head and wondering "why,...............why in the world would they do that, thats so backwords". but this is not what we are talking about.
this thread is about increasing the cars ability to handle a larger power demand.
ive been builting custom car autio system longer then ive been an auto tech and ive also had a # of my own and installed a good # of Optima batteries.
it will help in some areas and the batteries are very good at what they do.
but, one thing "any" battery doesn't do is help onboard electrical once the engine is running.
most custom car audio shops are owned and or managed by people that have BAs in EE and ME, this is different than someone on GMs engineering staff.
a custom car audio shop works on that part of the electical system only.
i understand your disstrust in engineeres, because i don't trust the ones on auto makers staff eather.
but you also understand that there is several things that just can't be taught.
you can take someone that has a mechanical type of mind and put them threw 2 years of schooling and a few years of on the job training................. look out because (if he realy cares about what he does for a living) you have a kick butt tech on your hands.
on the flip side of that, you could put another pearson threw the same schooling and training and end up with a person thats not worth spit.
you have to almost have an x-ray vision.
you can take a good tech and hand him something that he has never seen befor and say "its broke, fix it"
and even thow hes had no schooling or training (in that feild) he would be able to mess with it long enough to see how its ment to work and why its not working and what need to happen for it to work properly.
that "ME"
my nick name for the longest time has been McGuiver.
at 18 you are just now realy getting your feet wet.
i wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I will need the luck. Around here the auto world has died. I had to leave the toyota dealership to find a more steady income during school although i will be back for the summer again. As for being 18 I agree also. I have been a tech for the past 4 years as I went through school for it sence I graduated early but still have much to learn.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

well i finally got a red top and it work a lot better than my stock battery and i also upgraded the alt... im running a 165amp alt. I feel the difference im running 3 amps which adds to just about 5,200watts plus a 420 air compressor for the air bags.
Before i got the battery and alt my voltagew would drop to about 11-11.5 and now with everything running plus my hid's on it doesnt go under 13.2-13.0 again thank you guys for the input...