Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Over Heating and then some.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heck NO ! WAY TOO HOT You should not even see 100C the fans come on at 96C normal temp when the thermostat opens up is 83-84C
Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Heck NO ! WAY TOO HOT You should not even see 100C the fans come on at 96C normal temp when the thermostat opens up is 83-84C
Yea I figured as much. I'm pretty sure the head cylinder gasket is broken.

I have a replacement cometic gasket, and arp head studs. I'm gonna have to get around to doing it probably this coming weekend.

I check the oil and coolant everyday. Coolant level remains the same. The stock temperature gauge on the speedometer reads normals. Oil does burn quick though. I have to put in like a bottle of oil every like 300miles.

Hopefully its only the gasket, and not the valve seals or the piston rings.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YIKES 1 bottle in 300 miles is crazy - I have not gone through even a half a quart in 20k miles. Pulling the head will tell a lot once you get a look inside the cylinders and combustion chambers.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
YIKES 1 bottle in 300 miles is crazy - I have not gone through even a half a quart in 20k miles. Pulling the head will tell a lot once you get a look inside the cylinders and combustion chambers.
I'm gonna swap out the shortblock for a built one ^^ in the near future. Until then I want to have the car running up to par.

When I swap out the head cylinder gasket, is it easy to determine whether the valve seals need replacing?

If so, are they easy to swap out?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seals usually go when the valve stem bushing / guides wear out because the stem moves side to side damaging the seals. So you want to look for seat wear etc and maybe oil deposites on the intake and exhaust ports around the valve stem areas. Usually loosing that much oil is cause by worn rings or an oil leak - valve stems leaking that much oil would have severe wear and give you major performance issues. Seals are usually snapped onto the head where the valve stem come out of the head under the springs. That much oil burning should show up when you start the engine cold when the CAT is cold as blue smoke out the tail pipe. Probably get cleaned up a lot once the CAT gets hot but still should show some signs in the tail pipe as soot or ash.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Thanks for the info.
When I turn on the car there is no blue smoke. Only white, and it is barely noticeable.

When I get on the freeway, the white smoke is more noticeable. But what is weird, is that the coolant level doesn't go down. At least not a noticeable level.

When I look at the area around the cylinder head and the shortblock (where the gasket is), I can see what appears to be small amount of coolant.

I don't think its the turbo seals. Blah, I can't wait to get this resolved.

Oh yea I have no cats. Its 3" tubing all the way back, with 1 resonator and a muffler.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the exhaust smoke smell sweet?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
does the exhaust smoke smell sweet?
Thats a good question. I'll smell it tomorrow, and see what it smells like. I know its running a little rich, because my standalone is compensating with the extra heat, by dumping more fuel into the engine.

I'll try and see if I smell something sweet.
I do smell something sweet from within the cabin though.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if its sweet smelling, its a head gasket problem... just hope you don't have a warped cylinder head
Old 03-11-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahhh you have a turbo well the next question is to you see any oil on the ground where you park or anything wet with oil under the engine. The white smoke is probably unburned oil mist coming from the turbo seals along with moisture - it would turn blue if burned in the cylinders. The sweet smell in the car may be from coolent sprayed under the hood against the firewall getting in from the heater when you boiled over as well as some exhaust carbon sugars - yeah carbon from running rich tastes sweet.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
if its sweet smelling, its a head gasket problem... just hope you don't have a warped cylinder head
The cylinder head can warp?

I was looking at some video on youtube of cars with broken turbo seals, broken valve seals, broken piston rings, and it doesn't look like any of those. Thank god.

It does look like the one with a broken gasket though.
I have noticed that one of the spark plugs always fouls. The one that goes into the number one cylinder.

I'm hoping its just the gasket is messed up in that area, and not the valve seal in that area.

If it is a warped head, then i'll just end up building the head cylinder first with ferrea parts, and swap the short block later.

*sigh*

Thanks for the help ^^

At least I know what i'm up against now.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welpz after a year or two later this is what happened to my clutch after aggressive driving and running touges with alot of heal toe....

my pressure plate is messed up too....it was a Stage 4 clutch kit for Competition Clutch.....i also need new shift linkage cuzz my headers burnt threw on cable and it ripped apart after trying to force the box into gear.......so in turn i ordered a new clutch kit, throw out bearing, and shift linkage.....puts me at about 400 big ones give or take....there are a couple of other springs that were also close to breaking but it just takes one right........
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welpz fixxed the clutch problem and shift linkage problem with a new shifter cable and a new clutch kit from Spec..........now on to new problems........im leaking tranny fluid like crazy and my car wont stay on or drive for long without some relay clicking on and off like a hundred times.......cant push my car withou bogging out and the car cuttin off....have like 12 + codes for engine misfiring and coil mafunctioning and what not.......all i know right now is that its all electrical......there is something messed up some where in my electrical system and i have to find it and fix it........ether take out the engine harness rip it apart and rewire whatever that i smessed up or just buy a new harness.......
Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welpz fixxed the bogging out and all the electrical stuff....went through the harness and everything just to find out that two grounds that went to the head came loose some how. you can onlee tell that it was loose from it being dark outside and you can see the sparks when moving the harness around....now all i gotta work on is that tranny leak or else ill have to go find me another tranny again....
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FUDGE!!!!! i cant seem to figure out why the box all of a sudden feels like its is running like crap.....changed the oil, filter, and spark plug and it still runs like crap........i so hope its just the stock clutch slipping to the extreme cuzz then i dont have to worry about ripping apart the motor to c whats wrong.........
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

My car is running like crap too.

Not sure what the problem is though.

I already have a broken headgasket and a tranny that grinds in 3rd gear and won't even go into 5th.

I swapped out the spark plugs, and still hasn't fixed it.

I don't know if the tranny is causing the problem, or if it could be gasket, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Bearing.

Blah, lol.

I definitely accelerates slow as hellllll.

The car vibrates like crazy too. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now from what i've been told i may need to adjust my valves cuzz there is ticking coming from under the valve cover on the pulley side......im hoping i dont have a bent valve or something cuzz i dont really wanna take the head off and get all dat work done for it.......
Old 05-30-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

start with a compression test and maybe save yourself a lot of work.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thats what is gonna be done
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well did the compression test and all and everything seems to be in order in that area so now im just thinking my vvti cam maybe messed up so i may swap in the other cam from my other motor and c how it goes but i really dont wanna play with the timing......

Quick Reply: Over Heating and then some.......