Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

POssible Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

The 3sgte swap has been done a few times now and is successful. I will be trying it next year when my two xb's are delivered.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB
The 3sgte swap has been done a few times now and is successful. I will be trying it next year when my two xb's are delivered.
a 3sgte scion xa/xb... never heard of them... have any proof???

as far as an engine swap goes... sure more hp would be nice (vitz rs turbo engine) but how about an awd xa/xb... hmmm... 1nz-fe=FWD... 2nz-fe=AWD... of course the 2nz-fe motor has only 83hp but AWD.. :D :D
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

its from nitrous express. they did an xb .
i'm just waitin for some sort of kit for the 2zz motor. it will end up being done within a year or two
Old 11-21-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that'll definitely be something for scion owners to look forward to. now that the rsx motor has found its way into a Fit (which honda will be bringing in soon), and nissan with their Cube (talks of possible sentra SER SpecV swaps), the scions don't have to be stuck in the kiddy pool.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

they dont have to be but for toyota to pump these babies up it would blow costs sky high. well alot higher than they are now anyways.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

in all honesty it would not be very hard to put a 2zz in the xb. the xa however would be a bit harder. but it wouldnt be too hard to fab up a mount. the 6spd tranny would be a lil bit harder. it just takes time and money. any big shop could easily do it probably cost arounf 5500 including parts and labor. approx. just waitin. after it's been done i will surely follow suit.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
in all honesty it would not be very hard to put a 2zz in the xb. the xa however would be a bit harder. but it wouldnt be too hard to fab up a mount. the 6spd tranny would be a lil bit harder. it just takes time and money. any big shop could easily do it probably cost arounf 5500 including parts and labor. approx. just waitin. after it's been done i will surely follow suit.
so why would putting a 2zz into an xb be less difficult than putting one into an xa?? aren't they technically the same chassis? don't they both use the same engine let alone the same engine mounts?? just curious thats all.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah that is correct but. the xa has significantly less room under the hood.alot less room between grill and engine .
Old 11-22-2004, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We will be attempting the 2ZZ swap into our new xB. I'm not sure exactly when it'll be finished, because obviously these things take time. Right now I'm trying to source an engine and trans. And yes, we will be using the 6spd trans also. I'll keep you guys updated as we progress. Fabbing a mount is not hard, the wiring will come straight from the Celica, easy as cake on that part since we are using both the engine and trans. I guess the only part that will be hard is buying the parts, finding the correct fitment, possible custom axles, better brakes.. you get the idea. But it is in the works. I'm not going to care if someone else has it completed before I do, but we are doing it and that's what counts.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah that is correct but. the xa has significantly less room under the hood.alot less room between grill and engine .
i'll need to see some pics of the xb's clearance between the engine and the radiator. ... i'm skeptical about the whole grill thing... maybe the radiator support but... skeptical overall.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drop a 4g63 in there

That would be a sweet swap to drop in there. Look for any 1g DSM around. They are cheap and the engines have crazy potential and love boost. If you know what you're doing and properly mount the engine in, and tune it correctly, along with the XB's light weight, that XB is going to be killa, lol. You'll have crazy wheel spin, though, lol.

Just an idea since you're talking about swaps
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you use a 4g63? thats a mitsubishi motor.... and the xa/xb are toyota chassis?? again... and what are you doing?? if your gonna go extreme... why now get an sr20det motor from a silvia or ____ how about an rb26dett from a skyline or if you want to keep it more realistic... how about a 2jzgte from a supra?? don't bother with the little stuff... besides... don't know how many spare 1g dsm cars are lying around with reliable engines... the point everyone should have in mind when they're attempting to put more power into their xa/xb should be reliablility.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why not resleeve the engine to a larger diameter bore? Change out the rods and pistons, and go from there, either N/A or FI.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WAFFLES
Why not resleeve the engine to a larger diameter bore? Change out the rods and pistons, and go from there, either N/A or FI.
that would be a good way to go... if there were parts readily available for that kind of a build... think it would be more feasible to do a motor swap instead... (poss a 3sgte??? or a 2zz-fe or a 2nz-feAWD)
Old 11-24-2004, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

2zz will be sweet. it's nothin about being the first or the only it's all about having a nicely done much quicker car. and please keep toyota with toyota.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2zz will be sweet. it's nothin about being the first or the only it's all about having a nicely done much quicker car. and please keep toyota with toyota.
agreed 100%
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

To everyone saying to bolt in a Honda B series or H series or the Nissan motors, swapping in a motor from a different manufactured car is a HUGE pain in the a$$!! Been there, done that and there's a lot more to it than just dropping the motor in. Rewiring the entire thing is one of the biggest challenges. Just something I wanted to point out. Sorry to be the buzz kill here.

Now the 2ZZ swap sounds like it would be cool. What kind of potential does that engine have? Does it work well with forced induction? Has anyone sourced parts to upgrade the half shafts, CV joints, solid engine mounts for the xB to support all of the added horsepower and torque?

Zach
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by flat__tires
that would be a good way to go... if there were parts readily available for that kind of a build... think it would be more feasible to do a motor swap instead... (poss a 3sgte??? or a 2zz-fe or a 2nz-feAWD)
Well CP pistons will do a custom piston, as will most manufacturos. Now if you are wanting rods, I'm sure you can have a custom rod made by crower or eagle. But for N/A I'm sure stock rods with an upgraded bolt will do just fine. Maybe give them a cryo treatment, which is pretty inexpensive.

Sleeving: Golden Eagle does top of line work, and they do many other blocks aside from hondas, and prices are around $700.

Get a valve job and a some mild port work on the head. I don't see why 130-140whp isn't possible with some internal work N/A.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by flat__tires
Well CP pistons will do a custom piston, as will most manufacturos. Now if you are wanting rods, I'm sure you can have a custom rod made by crower or eagle. But for N/A I'm sure stock rods with an upgraded bolt will do just fine. Maybe give them a cryo treatment, which is pretty inexpensive.

Sleeving: Golden Eagle does top of line work, and they do many other blocks aside from hondas, and prices are around $700.

Get a valve job and a some mild port work on the head. I don't see why 130-140whp isn't possible with some internal work N/A.
i think that all that custom work would be way more expensive and maybe less powerful than droppin in a 2zz
Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

how much will a 2zz cost?

Quick Reply: POssible Engine Swaps