Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

POssible Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

2zz is celica gts motor.
and the only reason i want a gts motor (expensive or not) is that a turboed/supercharged motor cops will ream me and make me go to a ref. so even an il smog wont help. maybe i'm just dumb is all. . i want a nice stock lookin motor that way i can get smogged with no probs , and not have to hassle any cops. i know it's one of the more expensive ways to go but i'd much rather start with 180hp and work up rather than start with 108 and work up. i'm thinkin a fully built 1.5 with a nice turbo and a 25 shot of n2o would maybe make like ... 170 hp i'm sure more is always possible but that can't be much cheaper. that and il smogs get expensive down the long road . most of em charge 250 so 250 every 2 years is a bit of alot.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about a 1zz-fe with the 6 speed SEQ from the mr2 spyder
Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the 6spd is the hardest part it's huge.

and the seq? eww why ?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so does anyone have actual specs on the dimensions and mounting points of a 1zz-fe? comparison pics?

That would be sweet...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, after reading all of the "1zz" posts, was everyone referring to the 1zz-fe or the 1zz-ge?

EL Prototypes says the 1zz won't bolt up to the stock 1nz-fe transmission...but they both use the same tranny. Does anyone know if they meant the 1zz-ge? Even if it was the fe, the bellhousing from our stock 5-spd is supposedly interchangeable with the 1zz-fe bellhousing.

Does anyone have any REAL in-depth info on the 1zz-fe?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I spoke with Chris Rado of the Scion drag racing team at NOPI and he told me they are working on getting a kit to mount the tC motor into an xB.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

thats nice. really nice acctually.

i saw someone write earlier about swappin a b16 into an xA

well it has been done. as a matter of fact if you know where to look (i have yet to find) you can get the mounting kit from japan. and we still have alot of possibilty with the 7n-fe 1.5. not as much as the tc motors. but we its still there. i wouldnt swap a b16 just for the fact that i baught a toyota to get away from the honda world.

and to pass smog in cali isnt a difficult task. i got my roommates truck past. and that is a big block 460 with one od the cats cut off. of corse other things here and there but for the most part it was due to retarded timing. and a good exuast set up. if you swapped a jdm motor into your xA/xB im sure there would be plenty things to do to pass smog.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

b16 ???
Old 05-17-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The physical dimensions of the tC engine just don't seem likely in an xb/xA without cutting something. I hope it does happen, but it's unlikely.

People bring up the H22 swap into a Civic as comparison with bigger engines into very small cars but at least that one dimensionally fit width-wise without cutting the car. I'm not sure that would be the case in the xA with the 2az-fe into an xb.

A 1zz-fe or even a 1zz/2zz-ge is more likely based on the dimensions I'm familiar with from research. I'm still waiting for someone to prove me wrong, though. I hope they do!!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Im just letting yall know what Chris Rado told me. I really hope a tC conversion kit happens though.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I ran across some interesting information today.- 2006 Lotus Elise:
Engine: Toyota supplied, 1.8 liter 4-cylinder with DOHC 4 valves per cylinder w/ VVT and lift intelligence
Capacity: 1796 cm
Bore / Stroke: 82.0mm / 85.0mm
Max Power: 190 hp @7800 RPM
Max Tourque: 138 @6800 RPM
Compression: 11.5.1

Imagine that supercharged under your hood...

oh and even funnier... lotus is british? wither way a Euro company using a Japanesse engine. I love it
Old 05-18-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same engine as in the Matrix XRS and others like they are talking about here, except that they squished an extra 10 HP out of it. probably wouldn't be worth the Lotus price bump...
Old 05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
If the 2ZZ would fit...wow. Imagine 180 hp in a 2340 pound xA.
The celica isn't very heavy either.. It only weighs just slightly over 2,400 without any type of weight reduction.

I would imagine that the 2ZZ engine is a little heavier then the stock xA engine so that would probably bring the weight up some.

I don't think the xA would be much faster then the celica, even if they had the same engine.

It wouldn't work and if you got it to work somehow it would be wayyyy too much money for high - mid 14s.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed about the 2zz-ge...but a 1zz-fe with bolt-ons making around 160hp at the crank wouldn't be a bad little swap in the xA for daily abuse and durability.

Also, note that the Lotus Elise is lighter than the xA. They used the Toyota engine for Federal emissions to get the car into certain markets. The 2zz is a sweet piece, but those pics of it stuffed in a Vitz or whatever that car was look insane.

On that note, has anyone actually measured the 1NZ-FE from the back of the block to the front of the crank pulley for overall length? I'll do it this weekend...just trying to save the work of pulling off covers and stuff if it's already been measured. I don't see it published anywhere. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
If the 2ZZ would fit...wow. Imagine 180 hp in a 2340 pound xA.
The celica isn't very heavy either.. It only weighs just slightly over 2,400 without any type of weight reduction.

I would imagine that the 2ZZ engine is a little heavier then the stock xA engine so that would probably bring the weight up some.

I don't think the xA would be much faster then the celica, even if they had the same engine.

It wouldn't work and if you got it to work somehow it would be wayyyy too much money for high - mid 14s.
the celica weighs about 2600
Old 05-19-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
the celica weighs about 2600
No, it's actually 2,425:

http://www.internetautoguide.com/car...ica/index.html
Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I think the 2ZZ-GE (180hp stock) is the way to go... figure it'll cost $2,500 to buy + labor... a SC kit cost $3,200-$4,000 and may not give you that 75hp+ gain. I'm speaking to a guy about it, who does a lot of swaps and toyota engine build ups. As for having to worry about being pulled over for an soup'd car, i recomend buying a folder and putting the CARB certs from all the product you have on your vehicle so if you get pulled over, you have legit proof that your car is street legal. Know your rights, you can only get ticketed if your vehicle is out of noise ordinance (sound system or exhaust system) 30dbs from 100' i think. or if you have illegal products on your vehicle like Nitros Oxide. Also include the federal act that protects consumers and aftermarket companies in your folder.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kinda like what Waffles had to say back on page 2, about overboring and sleeving the block, using the stock rods and custom pistons. Might need a little bit bigger injectors, then just let the computer figure it out. Toyotas are usually pretty stout in the lower end, and there are various ways to strengthen the stock rods and crank that aren't expensive. Maybe have the cams reground to a slightly wilder profile...

The beauty of it all is that the mod is externally undetectable, and that the whole deal will pass any sort of emissions test/ inspection with flying colors...
Old 05-22-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much of an overbore, and how much power do you really think that would give you? You'd need a 3mm overbore to get you to a 1.6 liter. That's huge in the engine world. Are the bore centers even spaced far enough apart to sleeve with a 78mm bore?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW: the Scion 1.5 appears to be between 20 and 21 inches from end to end (crank pulley to back of block). Anyone have access to measure a 1zz-fe in a newer Corolla?

Quick Reply: POssible Engine Swaps