Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Replacing Alternator Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacing Alternator Bolt?

Sorry if this was somewhere else, my alternator went out on my 2005, unfortunately the bolt was so corroded that normal means to remove the alternator didn’t work so I had to do some drastic action.

Alternator is off, bolt destroyed.

Cant really find a new bolt, did find one at a hardware store but it is not the grade 8 metric equivalent so I feel it’s too soft. Tried to use it anyway but the alternator just flops when it’s in position.
With the first replacement alternator I tightened it to try and stop the flopping and broke one of the bracket arms on the alternator, took it back and got a replacement.

Big question is, was there a spacer or something to keep the alternator from flopping that I didn’t see because of my corrosion problem? Or do you just tighten the bolt and hope you don’t break the alternator?

guess the second question is where can I get a proper bolt if the local auto zones/Napa doesn’t have a way to look for them or have something that works? Looked on a Toyota website too and no luck.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-31-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

MSCDirect Grade 8 Metric Bolts

BelMetric.com Grade 8 Metric Bolts

Bolt Depot Bolt Grade Markings and Strength Chart Shop for US & Metric Bolts

Hope this Helps,

MR_LUV

Old 08-31-2018, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you! That fixes part of the problem.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried Toyota parts dept? It’s only the bolt, no washer or anything in between.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by caliscion83
have you tried Toyota parts dept? It’s only the bolt, no washer or anything in between.
thank you, I ordered a bolt from somewhere, it works but was just a bit too long, had to put a couple washers under the head to get it in right.

unfortunatly within 60 seconds the alternator locked up, so I have to get another replacement alternator, meaning that was the second new one, the first cracked at the housing. I have changed many alternators in my past with different vehicles, I feel like scrapping this car because it has a bad alternator. I am extremely frustrated with it at this point.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 PM
SL Member

I would go to a salvage yard.
Toyota Echo has the same alternator and bolts.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmyess333
I would go to a salvage yard.
Toyota Echo has the same alternator and bolts.
thank you, I may have to look into that, we don’t have very good salvage yards around here unfortunately and if you find what you need it costs more than at a dealer.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sgtusmc98
Thank you, I may have to look into that, we don’t have very good salvage yards around here unfortunately and if you find what you need it costs more than at a dealer.
Let your fingers Do the Walking. Check out:

Car-Part.com -185 Million Car - Parts

Car-Part.com is the fastest way to search thousands of auto recyclers' inventories to find exactly the part you need.
There are over 185 million inventoried parts in the Car-Part.com database, and the search is quick and simple.

Personally, I like to Order New OEM Parts, myself. You get what you pay for.

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-18-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
Truer words never spoken...always guaranteed to both fit and work.

It doesn't seem like the simple replacement of a bolt should cause this much trouble...if you know or can find out the thread pitch and length of the bolt you should have access to literally hundreds of places that offer that very size bolt. Doesn't sound as if there is anything terribly special about it.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Truer words never spoken...always guaranteed to both fit and work.

It doesn't seem like the simple replacement of a bolt should cause this much trouble...if you know or can find out the thread pitch and length of the bolt you should have access to literally hundreds of places that offer that very size bolt. Doesn't sound as if there is anything terribly special about it.
I took the alternator into a hardware shop and figured out the size and thread but they didn’t have the right length or hardness, I have since ordered and installed a bolt.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
Let your fingers Do the Walking. Check out:

Car-Part.com -185 Million Car - Parts

Car-Part.com is the fastest way to search thousands of auto recyclers' inventories to find exactly the part you need.
There are over 185 million inventoried parts in the Car-Part.com database, and the search is quick and simple.

MR_LUV
I generally get new parts, a bolt wouldn’t be that big of a deal however, except it’s not easy to get to.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For all those involved I’m optimistic that the car is going, haven’t driven it but it ran with no warning lights, smoking belts or other noticeable issues so now we just pray!
Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sgtusmc98
Sorry if this was somewhere else, my alternator went out on my 2005, unfortunately the bolt was so corroded that normal means to remove the alternator didn’t work so I had to do some drastic action.

Alternator is off, bolt destroyed.

Cant really find a new bolt, did find one at a hardware store but it is not the grade 8 metric equivalent so I feel it’s too soft. Tried to use it anyway but the alternator just flops when it’s in position.
With the first replacement alternator I tightened it to try and stop the flopping and broke one of the bracket arms on the alternator, took it back and got a replacement.

Big question is, was there a spacer or something to keep the alternator from flopping that I didn’t see because of my corrosion problem? Or do you just tighten the bolt and hope you don’t break the alternator?

guess the second question is where can I get a proper bolt if the local auto zones/Napa doesn’t have a way to look for them or have something that works? Looked on a Toyota website too and no luck.
For those who need answers, M8-1.25X30mm. My old bolt had a washer and the new was a flange. With no washer it had 3 threads sticking thru other side with lots of clearance if you have to size up for availability.

M8-1.25X30mm
Old 02-11-2023, 09:00 PM

On my 06 xb, the threaded portion you are talking about is designed to slide in once it is torqued down properly. This tightens the alternator so it is snug. No spacer.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Snowman2006
On my 06 xb, the threaded portion you are talking about is designed to slide in once it is torqued down properly. This tightens the alternator so it is snug. No spacer.
What???