Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Alternator issue - need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Alternator issue - need help ASAP

Hello

I have a Toyota Scion XA. It is a 2005. We were trying to replace the serpentine belt last night and the top alternator adjust bolt snapped - now we have to remove the entire thing to get the rest of the bolt out. The a$$ who did it before (super mechanic) over tightened it and softened it - therefore, it broke off no problem last night. About 2 am we had to quit. We are having a hell of a time removing the alternator. We have everything out and ready to go, but there is that one bolt on the driver side that has to be removed. It is a pain in the butt! The bottom pivot bolt has a collar that slides in from the back which has seized. We have been trying to tap the lower bolt on the passenger side (which comes in and out itself with ease) which would tap the collar out the other end. Is this the easiest way to do this? This is my moms car, and we were trying to do something nice for her as she has let me borrow her car for three weeks. I grew up with a master mechanic as a dad, and sell my own restoration and NOS car parts for Classic and Vintage cars - I know a thing or two, but this is ridiculous - ANY help??
Thanks!
Sara