Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Road Noise \ Hill power topic

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Road Noise \ Hill power topic

I love my green box. I wouldn't pick anything else. Period.

That being said, I moved to Colorado and drive to work 17 miles one-way. I go up and down the hills there everyday. My stock xB gets up to about 75-80mph just fine. When I go up a hill it struggles noticably. Also, at that speed it runs at about 3500rpms. That makes for a loud ride along with the thin rear hatch and side panels.

What I'm asking for is suggestions with approximate cost for the following:

1) help with cruising power
2) road noise reduction

I've read MANY posts about the DC sport header, MMW header (with it's fitting issues), cold air intakes, and even exhausts. I've searched, I've read, and I've researched and I just don't see what it would take to make me happy.

I'm going to grow a good sound system in my xB including neckbonenick's under seat sub enclosure with a higher performance Alpine or Eclipse HU so keep in mind the sound reduction material to be installed as I'm a big fan of music.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The road noise/exhaust noise was a bit much, especially on long highway trips. Sound deadening the rear doors, cargo floor, wheel wells, and hatch made it much more tolerable.
It's also pretty easy to do. And as a bonus, it makes the rear doors not sound so much like clanking soda cans when they close.

i have no thoughts on power, however.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus
....It's also pretty easy to do.....

So what material did you use, did you do it yourself, and about how much time \ $$$ did it take? Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member

I just put on an under drive lightened crank pulley. It made all the diference on the hills! It free-ed up the power needed to cruise easy. I also have a lot of hills on my freeway. Now I can can accelerate up hills! It dosn't effect the sound of the engine at all, which is a nice bonus if you want a quiet car. I went with the CNR pulley on ebay, $80. Other makes like Unorthodox & Perrin are over $100.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a magnaflow cat back...to loud on the freeway for long trips, put on a TRD and was perfect and quite. I dynomated everything windows down inc floor and made a big difference.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two easy things to increase apparent power for hill climbing...

1. Inflate the tires to as much pressure as you can tolerate... 3-lbs over the figures listed in the door jamb is a good start. But don't go over the MAX INFLATION number stamped on the side of the tire itself. Increasing the pressure will create a harder tire. A harder tire will roll easier.

2. Stick to the stock tire width of 185 if you haven't already gone to bigger tires... biger/wider tires increase rolling resisitance decreasing apparent power functionally as speed increases. Unfortunately the "positive" of traction gained in cornering by wider tires becomes a negative in the form of greater rolling resistance when traveling straight ahead. Like a lot of things tires are a compromise... gain a little here... lose a little there. LOL
Old 02-01-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i just got a strup header and exhaust installed on my xb today
it is ridiculously loud especially when i hit about 65-79mph it becomes almost unbearable. when it hits 80 it seems to calm down alot though.

i read alot of reviews saying that the strup was very quiet man where they wrong unless maybe i have very sensitive hearing. i mean its almost unnoticeable at idle but once you hit 2k rpm it turns into mr. hyde

dont get me wrong its a very deep very low tone and the power increase is there feels alot quicker and doesnt hiccup no matter how you drive it but its ridiculously loud.

looks like i'm gonna have to go with the sound deadening as my next upgrade before anything else

btw thanks stu you are the man
Old 02-01-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hattrick wrote:
So what material did you use, did you do it yourself, and about how much time \ $$$ did it take? Thanks again.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...412&highlight=