Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Shift Lock/Lock Release Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Shift Lock/Lock Release Question

Last time I popped in here I got some useful info, so fingers crossed that someone has an answer for me.

After years of using manual transmission vehicles, I recently bought an automatic Toyota Ist (Scion Xa). I love the car but want to ask about the shift lock button because what I've been told and what I've read in the owner's manual don't tally.

1. I was told that one of the reasons there is a shift lock button is that if there is a problem with the vehicle's electrics (e.g. the battery dies) the shift lock button makes it possible to shift out of Park and into Neutral so that the car can be moved.
But, according to the owner's manual, to shift out of Park the ignition key has to be in the "ON" position

http://www.manualowl.com/am/Scion/2004-xA/Manual/1471?page=7

If the key has to be in the "ON" position that suggests to me that the vehicle needs to have a working battery in order to detect the key's position, so if the battery is dead will the car 'know' that the key is in the "ON" position and allow me to use shift lock?

2. If you thought that was a confusing question, wait til you read this one.

Here in Indonesia double parking is a regular thing when parking spaces are full. When parking on the street or in a shopping mall there are always parking attendants around and if it's busy they will allow double parking, telling drivers to leave the handbrake off and put the vehicle into neutral. Then if a blocked vehicle wants to depart the attendant will push vehicles backward and forward until the departing vehicle can get out.
Now the problem with my Ist/Scion is that if I want to double park and leave the car in Neutral I can use the shift lock/lock release button to move from Park to Neutral but I can't remove the ignition key because Toyota appear to have designed it so that the ignition key can only be removed when the gear shift is in Park.

Anyone know if there's a way to get the key out when in Neutral or some way of fooling the vehicle into thinking it's in Park?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose you could disable the interlock somehow. Probably some sort of cable between the shifter and ignition switch.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM

Default the answer is!!!

the shift lock button cover can be removed and you simply push down on the actuator and it will allow you to shift the car into neutral even if there is no key.. then just set the e-brake to hold it in place. you do not need to have the key do shift car to neutral. the key is used to unlock the steering wheel only so it can be turned when pushing you a
car. as for rolling back and forth you just need to be in neutral gear.
hope this helps. Toyota/scion master diagnostic tech here.