Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Someone Please help!! P0500 code, can't figure it out!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Someone Please help!! P0500 code, can't figure it out!

OK guys I've searched up and down, left and right and google for hours. Gone through every wiring diagram I can find on this car. I need help. 2006 xb, 5 speed, 62000 miles.

Needless to say, I have all 3 lights (VSC, Trac off, and Check Engine). P0500 is the code, which is "Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction". I've checked all the fuses in the driver side little cubby area, and they are all good. Speedometer works fine.

The problem started a while back when I installed my Eclipse navigation head unit. I tapped into the Purple/white wire (VSS) for the navi. The navigation did not recognize the speed pulse and gave me an error, and a little while later is when the lights on the dash came on. I have un-spliced the navi from the VSS wire and put everything back to the way it was and still have the lights on the dash. Could I have shorted out my ECU? Could I have shorted out my skid control module? Can anyone tell me where the skid control module is located, and where I can buy a replacement? I can not find this part on car-parts.com or any toyota/scion parts site. For some reason, I have a hunch that the skid control module is the problem.. I also noticed in some wiring diagrams, there is a "yaw rate sensor" somewhere underneath the center console... could I have shorted that out somehow? All I did was splice that wire.. if anything a fuse should have blown if i made a mistake... but I don't know...

I really need straight forward pro advice from you guys, I can't afford to spend thousands having the dealership try to figure this out. I have checked everything I can think of.. wiring, fuses, speedo. Wouldn't a fuse pop before it would short an ECU? I would think so..

Let me also say, the car runs perfect..no hiccups and no other malfunctions, either electrical or mechanical. everything else is A+

I really hope I can clear this up
Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you put everything back to normal have you reset the ECU? vvv
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33062
If not here are all the Toyota shop repair manuals including wiring
http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/
If you need parts here are two good places to buy OE along with a site to fische up the part #'s

Parts look up http://www.toyodiy.com/

OE parts
http://www.trdsparks.com/
http://www.trdparts4u.com/Default.aspx
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the links.. I already reset the ECU multiple times, which i forgot to mention in my post..but yeah i've done all the obvious things, i think.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

p0500 is a vss code.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The yaw sensor in right behind the shifter under the plastic console - just pop the console off. It probably is a very sensitive device in terms of voltage applied to the wiring - why did you splice into that signal?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

holy crap, no one reads my post. or maybe no one has reading comprehension...LOL.

thanks for letting me know p0500 is the VSS, it's not like i wrote that in my post or anything, or knew that already.

and further, I did not splice into the yaw sensor.. why would i do that. I said i spliced into the purple/white wire (VSS wire) for my GPS/navi. which is a completely acceptable/normal thing to do. If you get an in-dash navi installed, they WILL tap into your vehicle's VSS wire, as well as other wires.

thanks for the input
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VSS doesn't stand for Vehicle Stability Sensor? ergo my confusion!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

vechicle speed sensor
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
vechicle speed sensor
you don't say?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't call my self

for nothing
Old 11-27-2012, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know exactly what the OP was talking about. There are four speed sensors at each wheel and each has a separate connection harness that feeds back to the ECU. Although I had my problem with an '08 xB, it's the same concept. I took mine to the dealer and even they're top technician couldn't quite figure it out. He could get the code to clear by replacing the sensor (he tracked it to the right rear), it would come right back on once you hit the brakes on a test drive. This is as far as they got on day 1.

Day 2, the called and said they had to call Toyota and speak to them. After doing that, they determined that the harness, sensor, wheel bearing and race all had to be replaced (don't ask about the bearin and race, I'm like "WTF?"). I pick in up this afternoon. All-in non-warranty cost to me = $780.

Apparently it's a beeyotch to diagnose this and then repair it.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie