Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

SPFR Intake on my xB!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default SPFR Intake on my xB!!!

Jon installed my new intake last night just beofre the Valley meetup - all i can say is daaaaayum!

the difference is amazing! i've been in cars with the AEM intake, and this is a whole different ballgame.

at about 4500rpm at full throtle in 1st, the motor just leaps out and if your not paying attention will smack the redline before you even know it! pulls way harder in 2nd and 3rd than it did stock, feels torqueier too, especially in the hills - and on the freeway it's smoooooth, was cruzing around 90 and didn't even realize it, i used to feel like i would have to really push my box at 90 but now it's like butter

the sound is nice, not too obnoxious like some intakes, just a nice throaty growl when your on the gas hard, but almost not even noticalbe when just cruizing or at freeway speeds.

the install process was amazing, Jon did the whole thing in like 15 minutes! if i was doing it by myself i could see it taking no more than 30 or 40 minutes to complete.

i'm stoked, i wasn't sure how much different the car would feel compared to other cars with different intakes i've been in, but wow it realy does, and if anyone ever wants to check it out for themselves i'd be gald to give you a ride if i'm at one the the meet-ups!

Brian
Old 11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have to agree with everything you said! I love mine too.
Drew
Old 11-17-2003, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Automatic with an SPFR Intake

Hey Brian,
I totally agree with you. I Live in Austin, TX and drove my automatic xB from San Francisco, so I got real used to the stock acceleration (or lack thereof) in my lil black box while driving it back. But just when I started getting used to it, I had to go and install SPFR's Intake.
The first think I noticed was this slight whooshing sound that wasn't there before while idling. Then I put my ear to the filter and you could just hear that engine sucking up the O2. Then when you hit the gas some, the engine just sucks the air straight in and it begins to make this low growl. It's a very nice sound, strong sounding. My lil B was beginning to change before my eyes, metamorphasize from the slick young car with the little efficient engine to a real man now. I just had to take him out on the road to prove his manhood.
Instantly I noticed the added pull that it had from stop. It now felt like the engine was pulling me faster instead of the usual feeling of the car pushing itself forward. I started to smile. Finally I hit the pedal and the tires would hit the road with me. A definite substantial improvement! On the freeway, I could now hit the gas and actually pass and cut in lanes like I used to do with my modded MX-6. Two Thumbs up for my purchase!
I think most of us here on this board know that a cold-air intake and aftermarket exhaust are required modifications for the xB. Since the xB could use some Torque and HP, the question I had was to put on the best performing product for each modification. I can't wait to see some dynoed comparative tests of this intake with the AEM one they sell through the dealer for $450. I bet it smokes the AEM.
Now on to gas performance. Keep in mind this isn't scientifically studied but here's my recent data on MPG. (Automatic Engine)

29MPG Stock xB, City Driving
27MPG xB with 215/45/17's (3.7% Larger), Mostly Hwy Driving
28.5MPG xB with 215/45/17's (3.7% Larger) and SPFR Intake, Mostly Hwy Driving.

This was an average of 2 fillups for each category, so my intake may also be helping me get a mile or so more per gallon. One thing is for sure, those light stock wheels definitely get you good mileage. I'll keep checking and post if the numbers change.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member

is the intake just got the xb or is there one for the xa? if so where would i pick mine up?
Old 11-17-2003, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are any of you guys running the spfr intake with an auto tranny?

I'm pretty excited hearing about it.. it should make my little echo a whole lot peppier.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member

anyone got pics? Where did you get the intakes?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WE WILL BE POSTING THE PICS OF THE INTAKE INSTALLED AS WELL AS THE KIT BEFORE INSTALL.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

intake is available for the xA as well as the xB

as soon as my new camera battery arrives i'll take some under hood shots of the intake installed, and will be posting a step by step install guide FAQ soon since i took pictures of Jon installing it on Saturday.

Brian
Old 11-17-2003, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

will the installation be in general...i mean will the FAQ be a step by step for both xA and xB...or will it be spefic to xB or xA...you know what i mean?

is it the small steps for the installation for the two cars...or is it a different installation for each car?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by monkeychopkick
anyone got pics? Where did you get the intakes?
www.spfr.com

that is Jon's site!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the first FAQ will be xB specific - i'm basing it and the pictures on the install in my car, but i'm sure an xA FAQ will come soon, just need someone with a xA to pick up a intake and have it installed when there's a digital camera nearby

and Yanges - there's a brand new SPFR.com coming real soon, with updated pictures, dyno sheets and an improved layout and design - should be up in some form this week
Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't wait to see the Dyno's.. especially the one's with both the intake and exhaust mods on them. It really does sound too good to be true, but I'm a believer.

I really can't wait to see how it fits in the engine bay. For you guys in the know.. how much modification do you think would be necessary for it to fit in an echo bay? Truly, the only limiting factors for all of our vehicles would be the body as the bay themselves are identical.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

dyno sheets will be online tonight for the xB intake

more to come soon after that!