Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Too much oil? Engine acting weird (PIC!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Too much oil? Engine acting weird (PIC!)

Hey guys

Well my box has been acting weird lately, could never point it out...it feels as though the rmps arent staying steady at somewhat high revs (past 4K often) especially uphill....it like struggles... And i wouldnt be able to shift up as usual....I have an auto and at a certain point u know where ittl shift down, but it wouldnt....not even when i would try the overdrive off...

First i thought it was my air intake, cause i had to remove my fender liner cause it was broken apart from falling on the tire so many times. So my aftermarket air intake is right infront of my tire...maybe the air?....clogged?..but figured maybe not...filter was still somewhat clean too,

So then i check my oil and it was passes full by a little bit, maybe an eight of an inch...take the cap off and heres what it looks like...

I dunno if u can see but u can see the oil filled up to the top almost...i remember when i could see the parts inside the engine first...i double checked with my sisters xB and she doesnt have oil till the top.

Now i changed my oil before...and i had this problem too...figured maybe it was a bit over from the last one...but when i drained it...that oil stayed at that level from the cap view....didnt drain...but when i add oil, it goes through the puddle i guess..

Sorry for all the detail...but any ideas? Is this not good? Ive heard of oil being too full and going inot your crankshaft and all that....

I did drain out oil...its at like 3/4 full....actually runs better....but still weird sometimes...

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats you mileage?

When did you replace the PCV valve?

Any engine mods?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you checking the nil with the engine running, or are you checking it 5 min after the engine has been shut off?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My mileage is around 95,000...but my engine was rebuilt around 50,000 (blew)....havent changed the PCV valve...the only engine mod i have is the aftermarket air intake as i said.....

I check the oil like a min. or less after i shut the engine off....its at like 3/4 full as i said...but earlier it was passed full...the car runs better now as in it shifts higher now and all....but still at aroun 3500 rpms and up the engine almost starts to strugle...

but im still wondering about this puddle of oil that doesnt go away...im sure its not passed full still....that oil stayed there evem when i emptied the oil out when changing it last...it wouldnt drain through....weird?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suggest you take it back to where they rebuilt the engine.

sounds to me like you have some oil passages partially blocked under the valve cover , this can be a piece of gasket that found it's way to let the oil pool under the valve cover.

just to let you know i had a GMC with a 350 that had , from the factory design, an oil passage that was too small and did the same thing allowing oil to pool ( not flow fast enough thru the passage) to let this same thing happen.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with frogbox......need to pull the valve cover and see whats going on.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I imagine you have a CAI and you said that you dont have the fender lining, so that means when it rains your air filter gets soaked... Are you worried about hydro-locking?? I went to the track last month and my fender lining got so abused that i, as well, had to remove a BIG chunk from it and due to that my air filter was exposed. So i turned my injen CAI into a SRI, by removing the extra tube that comes with the kit...

Have you ever cleaned your air filter??? Because an exposed air filter in front of the tire will pick up anything your tire throws at it. Instead of having your valve cover checked, why don't you clean your air filter first, then check your valve cover??? Its a simple enough process and since you don't have your fender lining, removing the filter element should be VERY easy. Give that a check up and let us know.