Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

worried rough shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default worried rough shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

so today me and my dad were heading for a day out on the town, and my dad miss shifted going from 2nd to 3rd.. well so i thought, I said did you miss it he goes hrm... no its in gear, but it sounded like he scratched it, or missed but it went in.. so he down shifted to second and went back to 3rd... same weird scratching noise like he missed the gear. then i said here lemme do it... he put the clutch in i shifted from second to third and nada. so ya im thinking okay he's used to his HHR and he's rubbing a bit.. well, we goto the carwash and i am driving on the way home i shift from 2nd to 3rd and same thing... dayum i'm thinking WTF!!! not even had this thing that long and something is wrong.. i down shift agian and try agian and it went in no scratching... i did it agian shifted fine the rest of the way home...

I'm still concerned. I'll be getting my mom to drop it off next week at the scion dealership to have them take a look just in case. still kinda freaks out.

anyone have any ideas what would have caused this? should i still take it in even though it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore? would dirt or dust cause it to do that?
what if anything would cause it to make that sound?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

I've had this problem from 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd. The first time it was from 1st to 2nd above 3500 rpms. I took it in and they replaced the syncros. The second time was from 2nd to 3rd above 4000 rpms. I took it in and they replaced the whole transmission.

The problem is the syncros. They're weak. Take it to your dealer and have them drive it. They should fix it without giving you any trouble. This is a very common problem with the xB's.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midgethearsexb
I've had this problem from 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd. The first time it was from 1st to 2nd above 3500 rpms. I took it in and they replaced the syncros. The second time was from 2nd to 3rd above 4000 rpms. I took it in and they replaced the whole transmission.

The problem is the syncros. They're weak. Take it to your dealer and have them drive it. They should fix it without giving you any trouble. This is a very common problem with the xB's.
shew... thank god i'll just take it in much thanks.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, i took it in on friday, and haven't heard anything they so i guess im calling them tomorrow to find out what the deal is... hopefully i'll have my car back monday. *crosses fingers*