Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a C60 and technically it should work but you'll need to swap bellhousings, cut the front unibody because of the extra length, and possibly modify the inner joints on the axles.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member

Has anyone done the Corolla 5th gear set yet? Or have the part #'s? I would like to make the swap. I have not looked at the transmission on my XB yet (only had it for a few weeks). If the back cover can be taken off with the tranny still in the car the 5th gear swap should be well under a hour to do it.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How abut the Yaris Gear Set anyone try it yet????????????????????
Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Haven't gotten around to it yet...

Hey Craig,

I don't think the back cover is the problem, it's getting the gear off with the trans in the car. The cover looks like it will come off but the gears are a press fit so you need to use a puller on them and it will certainly be too long. I'm going to wait until I need a clutch.

I have confirmed that the 2003+ Corolla and xA/xB use the same transmission family, though, so the swap is a direct fit. The older corollas should work, too, but I can't confirm. When you call the dealer, remember that you need both the drive gear and driven gear to do the swap. Even though it's 5th gear, I think it's listed as "3rd driven gear" for one of the parts...I can email you a pdf if you pm your email address.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'd double check the trannys before attempting that swap...
i think one tranny is a c50 and the other a c150...

while being in the same family, one is narrower. you can take the gears from the echo or yaris and drop them in.

you can also just swap the final drives gears if you think the other gears are to aggressive
Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting thread. Thanks for all the info & research
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good call, Lava. The entire gearset may not swap in. I was referring only to 5th gears, which are the same size I.D. and length.

5th is the only gear in our trans that doesn't make sense...at least if you want to cruise on the highway. I generally drop to 4th if I'm jumping out into the passing lane anyway.

Also, the '03+ Corolla trans measures the same as my xA, bolt patterns are identical, case is identical, and the only thing I can imagine being different would be inner joint splines due to a different final drive but even that is easy to overcome.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member

My 07 Yaris has the same C50 trans as the Xa/Xb with the same exact gears except final drive is 3.722 vs. the 4.315 in the Scion.

If anyone is interested in swapping trannies in SoCal, I'm down. Only 3K miles on it and most of those are break-in miles...
Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE !!

anyone going to jump on this offer.

Are you going to do the swap yourself or do you know of a reputable company that can do the swap?

Are you going to swap out the entire tranny or just the final gear?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still of the opinion that dropping the final drive ratio in these cars is going to make the person who did it VERY unhappy.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a wonderful opinion BUT can you state WHY instead of just saying its a bad idea

Thanks.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sikbrik
I'm still of the opinion that dropping the final drive ratio in these cars is going to make the person who did it VERY unhappy.
unless they are forced induction...then they will be very happy!!

i don't know about the 3.7 gears...but my 4.0 set up is awsome.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure...no problem.

Changing the final drive to that of a Yaris or an Echo is going to reduce the effective ratio in EVERY GEAR! That means you'll turn fewer RPM's at 65mph in 5th, like many of us are looking for, but you'll also lose the "pickup" you have in 1st through 4th gears, too. There's been a few posts about this regarding the Echo final drive on this board. You'll gain a higher theoretical top speed, but the price will be a loss in acceleration. For a quick non-biased background on this effect, read this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0084430AAzhUVm

I can go one better if you PM me with your email...I'll dig out and send you a spreadsheet of the effective gear ratios in each gear for all transmissions that have some compatible parts with our cars. This includes the difficult, but possible, 6-spd swap.

When it all comes down, swapping in a taller 5th gear is the best answer for me (personally) since what I want is simply to reduce cruising RPM in 5th but maintain the current low-end. If you're looking to match your gears to some different powerband because you're adding a turbo or something, this may not be the best answer for you. I still feel that the majority of people on this board would hate having a taller final drive.

Please feel free to PM me with any other questions, or we can keep it public on this thread since I've researched this pretty extensively but have put it on the backburner for a while.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lava,

Isn't your setup a full "performance" set of TRD gears? That makes a difference and some people on this board don't understand that. What is the 4.0 final drive from, if you don't mind me asking?

Whatever...eveybody swap 'em in and love 'em for all I care. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member

I was hoping to trade complete transmissions with someone, which I can do myself. If anyone wants, I can replace their clutch at the same time, or you can have my stock clutch which has plenty of life left.

It won't make sense to trade just final drive and pinion gears, the cost of tearing apart and rebuilding the trans is too high.

Also if you want to feel what the gearing is like, you're welcome to drive my car before we swap. The Yaris is only ~100lb lighter than the Xa/Xb and it accelerates fine. The change is not so significant. I'm just looking for every bit of acceleration I can get since I don't do much highway driving and I autocross frequently.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sikbrik
Lava,

Isn't your setup a full "performance" set of TRD gears? That makes a difference and some people on this board don't understand that. What is the 4.0 final drive from, if you don't mind me asking?

Whatever...eveybody swap 'em in and love 'em for all I care. Good luck!
nope, not a full set of gears....it is only the final drive pair...
i got the set of gears through my regional rep...he came across them and knew i would like them.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Lightbulb

I am new to Scionlife but I have been looking for the same solution as you guys. How to make a lower cruising rpm, how to keep the power (or maybe even better), and don't mess up the gas mileage in the process. I have found the solution.
I drive I-75 all the time to work and school, often I am speeding which as all XB owners know that it sounds like a bunch of bees are under my hood. It drives me nuts and uses substantially more gas because of the rpms that I am pushing. (about 27 mpg per tank).
I had been doing my own research before I found this site and everything that I had learned has been supported by this site. I however I have the rest of the solution. And have tested it. Not on a dyno but actually on the road and the difference is substantial.

First lets recap:
1: We all know that the Echo tranny can be swapped for an xB
2: We then face the dilemma of the final drive gear, and picking power or lower rpms.
3: The solution is a supercharger!
A traditional supercharger is not the way to go with an xB, because of the increased drag on the engine. I have however gotten an electric supercharger from eBay for about 75 dollars in combination with a short ram intake.
I know that all it is is a small fan spinning at high rpms but it does produce a small boost of about 2 psi.
That equates to about 30-40 hp with the intake. Which added to our stock 105 is amazing, literally. It would provide more than enough power to be able to overcome the torque drop that we would see in first and second gear.
The great thing about this being electric is that you can hook it up on a progressive dial to be able to control it
or you can hook it up with the gas pedal so that it will boost progressively with increased throttle actuation. I am installed mine and it is great. Mileage has already improved for me to about and even 30.
My next stop will be to get rid of these annoying bees in the hood!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 12-11-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get lost troll.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

funny thing is, his answer does not solve the problem of lowering RPM's...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im going to be working with zpiracing to swap a tc tranny into the xb platform... the reason im doing this is because my transmission went.. cracked the housing and shattered the gear setup... im sure zpiracing will be offering a swap, that is not only stronger but changes the topend speed, rpms at 80mph ect... ill keep ya updated on that though

Quick Reply: xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?