Garrett Turbo project, back on track

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Garrett Turbo project, back on track

So, after dragging my feet for over a year and a half I'm finally getting this turbo project finished. This is a kit from the now-defunct 365Motorwerks, though Dezod still has the link page active:

http://www.dezod.com/pd-365-motorwer...m-xb-04-07.cfm

Specs are a Garrett GT2252, log mani, vertical intercooler, and AEM F/IC

To go along with this, I did a full bottom-end, upgrading rods (Crower), pistons (Wiseco), and bearings (Toga) along with a compression drop to 9.5:1. Head work was a different story. Motor was pulled twice after the first head was leaking around the injectors, bad VVTi intake cam and then the exhaust cam gear let go on the second, damaging all 8 exhaust valves (my mistake for not torqueing it down, doesn't make it hurt less). After the third head went on, it was November for the install and got a bit cold to work.

Car is scheduled to go to the exhaust shop Tuesday to get the stock pipe cut just before the cat and fitted with a removeable flange. This will allow easier fitment for the turbo downpipe and shortened midpipe, and allow me to swap a full length midpipe to go back to stock if needed. Hoping for a warm spring to get this finished.

I also still need to fit an oil feed line, but other than that everything is ready to go in. The oil return was already fitted to the lower block while it was out, so only the cap needs to be pulled.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Finally found my pictures to give a sneak preview.

Here's the kit still NIB

The engine overhaul showing the major components. The block needed to be notched to get the thicker rods to clear the cylinder wall.

Before I knew I would need all three of these, I did have a few heads available. One was from my original engine, which had a rod snap when it was still supercharged and completely destroyed the bottom end. The second was ordered from a junk yard and was ported, though too agressive so it no longer seals. The third I can't remember where I got it from.

If you're curious about the intercooler, this is how it mounts. Gotta say it's convenient having all the piping on one side and not having to fight with going across the engine.

And finally, here's the turbo next to the stock header. You can see there's quite a bit of extra length to get it to fit, not exactly the "bolt-on" solution it was advertised as, but should work well when the piping's complete. It has an internal wastegate, I don't have the vacuum actuator mounted at the moment. Stock spring is 8 psi.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
So, after dragging my feet for over a year and a half I'm finally getting this turbo project finished. This is a kit from the now-defunct 365Motorwerks, though Dezod still has the link page active:

http://www.dezod.com/pd-365-motorwer...m-xb-04-07.cfm

Specs are a Garrett GT2252, log mani, vertical intercooler, and AEM F/IC

To go along with this, I did a full bottom-end, upgrading rods (Crower), pistons (Wiseco), and bearings (Toga) along with a compression drop to 9.5:1. Head work was a different story. Motor was pulled twice after the first head was leaking around the injectors, bad VVTi intake cam and then the exhaust cam gear let go on the second, damaging all 8 exhaust valves (my mistake for not torqueing it down, doesn't make it hurt less). After the third head went on, it was November for the install and got a bit cold to work.

Car is scheduled to go to the exhaust shop Tuesday to get the stock pipe cut just before the cat and fitted with a removeable flange. This will allow easier fitment for the turbo downpipe and shortened midpipe, and allow me to swap a full length midpipe to go back to stock if needed. Hoping for a warm spring to get this finished.

I also still need to fit an oil feed line, but other than that everything is ready to go in. The oil return was already fitted to the lower block while it was out, so only the cap needs to be pulled.
We are considering offering this kit, but I am unsure about it personally.

Try this for oil feed:
http://www.dezod.com/cat-oil-line-components.cfm

Glad to see you're pushing through with this though!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for the links. The feed is 4AN. Return's 10AN but I already have the fitting and hose for that. I'll let you know how it runs when I finally get it bolted on. In the past I've used a local company that does a lot of work for the local dragstrip cars and marine racing, Henry's Engineering. They'll make a line up on the spot with whatever length, fitting and bend angle I need. Have to redo test fit and figure all that out still though since I'm tapping from an oil filter adapter plate and not a tee off of the block oil pressure sensor.

What were your areas of concern with offering it direct through Dezod, production or design issues? From what I can tell on test fit the main issues are getting the wastegate actuator linkage to clear the bottom of the firewall and the inlet coupler being mounted so close to the exhaust manifold. I'll be wrapping the mani in fiber tape and will probably be using aluminum tape on the coupler to shield it.

T think I still need some t-clamps and couplers, and president's day sale coming up?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Thanks for the links. The feed is 4AN. Return's 10AN but I already have the fitting and hose for that. I'll let you know how it runs when I finally get it bolted on. In the past I've used a local company that does a lot of work for the local dragstrip cars and marine racing, Henry's Engineering. They'll make a line up on the spot with whatever length, fitting and bend angle I need. Have to redo test fit and figure all that out still though since I'm tapping from an oil filter adapter plate and not a tee off of the block oil pressure sensor.

What were your areas of concern with offering it direct through Dezod, production or design issues? From what I can tell on test fit the main issues are getting the wastegate actuator linkage to clear the bottom of the firewall and the inlet couplet being mounted so close to the exhaust manifold. I'll be wrapping the mani in fiber tape and will probably be using aluminum tape on the coupler to shield it.

T think I still need some t-clamps and couplers, and president's day sale coming up?
Well there are quite a few things. We did not design ANY of the kit other than spec'ing the turbo. We just did the refining of the prototypes for production and replication of the parts. So, I do not know spacial confinements, layout and how close things are etc. These critical design elements make it difficult to support or offer something like this under the Dezod brand. So, this is why I am unsure about it at all. The downside is that we have jigs for all of the stuff AND parts in stock for the kit.

Call me with whatever you need and I will hook it up.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Will do. I'd also like to replace the existing gaskets for the foot and downpipe. Do you carry a T25 inlet gasket and a fitted one for the 5 bolt turbine outlet? See link below for spec details.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...2187_6_new.pdf

I'll go through the kit this weekend and inventory what I'm still missing. I bought it used, it was the prototype Zach used on his xB and that's why some of the little bits are missing. I believe the oil outlet gasket is still there but need to verify. All the majors are there, piping, turbo, F/IC, injectors and a new Boomslang harness to fit the '06.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Will do. I'd also like to replace the existing gaskets for the foot and downpipe. Do you carry a T25 inlet gasket and a fitted one for the 5 bolt turbine outlet? See link below for spec details.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...2187_6_new.pdf

I'll go through the kit this weekend and inventory what I'm still missing. I bought it used, it was the prototype Zach used on his xB and that's why some of the little bits are missing. I believe the oil outlet gasket is still there but need to verify. All the majors are there, piping, turbo, F/IC, injectors and a new Boomslang harness to fit the '06.
T25 gasket, no prob, but the turbine gasket could pose hard to get because it's really rather unique.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

Glad to see your back at it. I know the past year has been very trying for you. Your headed down the right path for what your after. Good parts and good people to work with like Paul and of course anything you need from me too.

I think you got a good combination of parts and will be able to do what you've been after for the past couple of years. Good luck dude, and don't be a stranger.

XBG
Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Figured it was update time again. Weather finally got warm enough to start the install. Exhaust was cut and rewelded w/ the new flange to fit the downpipe, no boost, oil or exhaust leaks.

The suppleied AEM F/IC however did not come with the map for 550cc injectors and will not even start with them installed, found this out yesterday. On stock injectors the F/IC works fine, no codes at idle, though I haven't gone under boost. Thank you Paul for sending a base map, I'll load it tonight let you know how it runs. Hopefully it can limp me over to PTuning for a dyno tune. I may get lucky and be able to get the proper map from the kit manufacturer, we'll see. Pics a little later.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Figured it was update time again. Weather finally got warm enough to start the install. Exhaust was cut and rewelded w/ the new flange to fit the downpipe, no boost, oil or exhaust leaks.

The suppleied AEM F/IC however did not come with the map for 550cc injectors and will not even start with them installed, found this out yesterday. On stock injectors the F/IC works fine, no codes at idle, though I haven't gone under boost. Thank you Paul for sending a base map, I'll load it tonight let you know how it runs. Hopefully it can limp me over to PTuning for a dyno tune. I may get lucky and be able to get the proper map from the kit manufacturer, we'll see. Pics a little later.
What's the good word on this?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, the quickie map sent over wouldn't start the car, but I pulled down the tC base map on the Dezod website and that allows it to warm up and run. However if I get over 25 mph the engine bogs and really doesn't like it. Since I'm not an EFI tech and didn't want to fool with it too much, I decided to still tow it up to PTuning for a proper dyno tune. However, I'm on travel at the moment so it won't be going in until May 6.

Will be running 550cc on their recommendation, 1-step colder, and still looking at the spark gap.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Well, the quickie map sent over wouldn't start the car, but I pulled down the tC base map on the Dezod website and that allows it to warm up and run. However if I get over 25 mph the engine bogs and really doesn't like it. Since I'm not an EFI tech and didn't want to fool with it too much, I decided to still tow it up to PTuning for a proper dyno tune. However, I'm on travel at the moment so it won't be going in until May 6.

Will be running 550cc on their recommendation, 1-step colder, and still looking at the spark gap.
Huh. Keep me posted.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

New Pictures.

Sorry for the blurry, but there's really a turbo back there somewhere:

The lovely HKS SSQV BOV

Front view with intake, intercoler and filter installed
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Looking good!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice! coming along well.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member

Very good! But what is your whp goal?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Auto transmission w/ no mods except for a B&M oil cooler, so for right now I'm shooting for 150 whp, but will take whatever the tune gives on the internal wastegate (8 psi). I was at 135 whp on the smaller greddy kit on 5 psi, so I think that would be reasonable.

Later on I may do a valve body upgrade and external boost controller, but for now there are several other projects to finish on the xB first after the turbo, mainly getting my speaker box rebuilt with both 8w7's on one side, amp racks in the rear quarter windows, and rear air ride suspension.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Car is off the dyno but still at the shop. During the pull we thought there was boost creep, it immediately jumped to 14 psi. After pressurizing the wastegate actuator it turns out it's a 20 psi unit, so had to order a new one from Garrett for 6-7 psi. On the plus side, it held 14 psi so there's no boost leak.

Waiting on the new actuator to get in and will go from there.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Car is off the dyno but still at the shop. During the pull we thought there was boost creep, it immediately jumped to 14 psi. After pressurizing the wastegate actuator it turns out it's a 20 psi unit, so had to order a new one from Garrett for 6-7 psi. On the plus side, it held 14 psi so there's no boost leak.

Waiting on the new actuator to get in and will go from there.
That's great news in a way. We appreciate the biz Brian.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, the weak link on the turbo has been found. The bend angle on the wastegate actuator causes a major boost creep problem, to the tune of 11 psi on what should be a 6 psi actuator. Tired of fighting it, went w/ an external 38mm wastegate added to the manifold. Tune holds fine now, unfortunately the same can't be said for the automatic transmission. Starts slipping on the dyno around 70 WHP, and I thought the power loss when n/a was due just to the lowered compression. At least it will hit that 70 quick, flat power band from trans slippage.

Lesson learned, if you ever end up offering this kit, add an external gate, I'll grab pics when I get it back of what works best for fitment.

I just happen to have a spare trans. sitting in my garage w/ only 20k miles on it. Guess what the next project will be? Looking at feasibility of pulling it w/ the engine still bolted up, I really don't feel like unhooking the turbo after having just put it on. If I can pull the engine without the transmission, I should be able to pull the transmission without the engine right?

Quick Reply: Garrett Turbo project, back on track