Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Well, the weak link on the turbo has been found. The bend angle on the wastegate actuator causes a major boost creep problem, to the tune of 11 psi on what should be a 6 psi actuator. Tired of fighting it, went w/ an external 38mm wastegate added to the manifold. Tune holds fine now, unfortunately the same can't be said for the automatic transmission. Starts slipping on the dyno around 70 WHP, and I thought the power loss when n/a was due just to the lowered compression. At least it will hit that 70 quick, flat power band from trans slippage.

Lesson learned, if you ever end up offering this kit, add an external gate, I'll grab pics when I get it back of what works best for fitment.

I just happen to have a spare trans. sitting in my garage w/ only 20k miles on it. Guess what the next project will be? Looking at feasibility of pulling it w/ the engine still bolted up, I really don't feel like unhooking the turbo after having just put it on. If I can pull the engine without the transmission, I should be able to pull the transmission without the engine right?
Wow! After all that.....sorry to hear Brian.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

After 3 engines, 4 heads, 2 turbos, a supercharger, and a drive axle replacement I figured the trans. would be next, just didn't think it would be this soon. Pretty used to things needing replacement at this point though, and with a trans. on hand all this will cost me is a replacement fluid fill. I will be putting a trans. temp gauge on though, to see if I need to step up the cooler size.

When I swapped the radiator I lost the stock oil cooler, and I'm not sure if the B&M is handling 100% on it's own. If I'm running hot, it will be time for a bigger cooler.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Picked up the car, final install looks great. Justin did an amazing job on the wastegate welds, and the dump tube fits snugly next to the downpipe. Tune holds as well, with no leanout when the auto shifts like was happening on eManage blue. Never had a car w/ open dump, and wow it is loud when you get on the throttle.

Trans. of course isn't holding well, 1st and 2nd are the worst, and lucas slip stop only marginally improved things. Pics posted today hopefully if it stops raining, looking to do the trans swap in June.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

In for pics! Glad to hear she is running. Power made?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

from my previous post, pegged at 70 whp on the dyno until the transmission gets replaced. Then, shooting for 140 on the 6 pound spring.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

from my previous post, pegged at 70 whp on the dyno until the transmission gets replaced. Then, shooting for 140 on the 6 pound spring.
Errrrrr gotcha.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Picked up the car, final install looks great. Justin did an amazing job on the wastegate welds, and the dump tube fits snugly next to the downpipe. Tune holds as well, with no leanout when the auto shifts like was happening on eManage blue. Never had a car w/ open dump, and wow it is loud when you get on the throttle.

Trans. of course isn't holding well, 1st and 2nd are the worst, and lucas slip stop only marginally improved things. Pics posted today hopefully if it stops raining, looking to do the trans swap in June.
Glad you like the wastegate setup !
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Finally, Pics. Keep in mind that this is basically a stealth kit, you don't really see the turbo in the engine bay. I'd need to pull the strut bar and wiper cowl to really get a good pic, and not willing to do that unless I'm going in for work. Maybe during the transmission swap, which right now I'm planning for June 10.

There's an intercooler back there I swear.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

HAHA! Nice.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Figured I'd update. After taking a nice vacation over Memorial day it was back to work on the car last weekend. The project is a total transmission replacement. Justin must be a magician if he can get this done in 6 hours, after a 3 day weekend I'm only halfway done, but the old transmission IS out.

So far, I've had to manufacture my own drive axle removal tool (bent bar stock), replace a transmission jack caster after the old one snapped and nearly dropped the tranmission on me, and of course give a little blood to the car gods, this time from a busted knuckle.

The torque convertor is a PITA to mount, there are two splines and the keyed oil pump to line up and get it to fully seat, and if it's not fully engaged it WILL pinch the flex plate. A quick tip to mounting it, turn the transmission on it's end and let gravity hold the convertor. More pics tonight, with the trans. out of the way I can finally see the dump tube.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Figured I'd update. After taking a nice vacation over Memorial day it was back to work on the car last weekend. The project is a total transmission replacement. Justin must be a magician if he can get this done in 6 hours, after a 3 day weekend I'm only halfway done, but the old transmission IS out.

So far, I've had to manufacture my own drive axle removal tool (bent bar stock), replace a transmission jack caster after the old one snapped and nearly dropped the tranmission on me, and of course give a little blood to the car gods, this time from a busted knuckle.

The torque convertor is a PITA to mount, there are two splines and the keyed oil pump to line up and get it to fully seat, and if it's not fully engaged it WILL pinch the flex plate. A quick tip to mounting it, turn the transmission on it's end and let gravity hold the convertor. More pics tonight, with the trans. out of the way I can finally see the dump tube.
Are you going to another auto or a manual swap?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

another auto because I already had it on hand, came with the motor I used to do the internal build, so it's been sitting about 2 years, but had fluid in it the whole time.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Swap appears to be successful. Perfromance was sluggish still on the test drive, until I found a loose clamp on the hot-side piping and was getting major boost leak. Everything tightened up yesterday but ran out of time to drive, so hoping it runs good today.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

nice gonna turn up the boost now?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Swap appears to be successful. Perfromance was sluggish still on the test drive, until I found a loose clamp on the hot-side piping and was getting major boost leak. Everything tightened up yesterday but ran out of time to drive, so hoping it runs good today.
Keep us posted!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
nice gonna turn up the boost now?
I want to finish the tune first and get at least one clean dyno pull. Also want to see how the trans. cooler holds up on longer drives. Recently upgraded the line from 1/4 to 3/8, might still need a bigger one. If so, the F-150 tow package cooler is going on, 33" x 2", and a 7 plate stack to mount below the front crash bar, should provide more than enough cooling if it comes to that.

Turning up the boost should be easy when the time comes, the turbosmart wastegate is topside and with one twist the spring can be upgraded. Spring combos give 3, 5 (currently installed), 7, 10-17, 19-24, and 26 psi settings, no boost controller needed.