Notices

maf problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default maf problem

so as you know already i been trying to boost my xa for the longest time... there is a slight problem now... the car is not tune and still have stock fuel injectors... so my problem when i reconnect my maf its idles very quiet but when you rev up it either chokes or misfires then dies... anyone know the cause? let me know

thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Is the turbo hooked up?

and your having these issues, if so i'm going to ask why would you hook up a turbo with no tune or some sort of ecu to make corrections so you don't have issues.

Also you dont need a maf you can use a map sensor instead. However you need a ecu that will allow you to do this.

Not exactly sure what you got going on. But it sounds like your going about this whole turbo thing the wrong way. If you cant afford to do it right and do it all at the same time to make the project complete and work properly than don't do it at all. You will make a mess of your car not to mention a drain on your paticents and pocket. A turbo build is not for someone who can't maintain it or has to nickel it together. Save your self the heart ache. Especially if this is a DD.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recommend that you clear ECU memory, hook up the MAF sensor and let the engine run until it sets the fault code and turns Check Engine light on. Once you know the fault code you will have an idea what to do . May be a bad MAF, may be something else. Simply revving up the engine should not cause a misfire even with turbo and stock injectors.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbgod
Is the turbo hooked up?

and your having these issues, if so i'm going to ask why would you hook up a turbo with no tune or some sort of ecu to make corrections so you don't have issues.

Also you dont need a maf you can use a map sensor instead. However you need a ecu that will allow you to do this.

Not exactly sure what you got going on. But it sounds like your going about this whole turbo thing the wrong way. If you cant afford to do it right and do it all at the same time to make the project complete and work properly than don't do it at all. You will make a mess of your car not to mention a drain on your paticents and pocket. A turbo build is not for someone who can't maintain it or has to nickel it together. Save your self the heart ache. Especially if this is a DD.
It is hooked up but it runs fine without the maf on
I'm just saying that when I hooked it up and leave or idle it's solid no cel it's when rev it it dies
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reactor
I recommend that you clear ECU memory, hook up the MAF sensor and let the engine run until it sets the fault code and turns Check Engine light on. Once you know the fault code you will have an idea what to do . May be a bad MAF, may be something else. Simply revving up the engine should not cause a misfire even with turbo and stock injectors.
I was thinking the same for being the maf being bad so what I'm going to do is test it out
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesn't the CEL come and stay on the minute you disconnect the MAF sensor?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesn't the CEL come and stay on the minute you disconnect the MAF sensor?
Yea once I disconnect it, it comes on
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has it ever ran OK with turbo installed?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has it ever ran OK with turbo installed?
Yes it has its running ok but I can't get passed 3k and that's no maf and running oem ecu
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FamilyCarXaLV
so as you know already i been trying to boost my xa for the longest time... there is a slight problem now... the car is not tune and still have stock fuel injectors... so my problem when i reconnect my maf its idles very quiet but when you rev up it either chokes or misfires then dies... anyone know the cause? let me know

thanks
your probably running very lean. stock injectors are not enough when turbocharged. either way you need some kind of fuel system.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionCREW
your probably running very lean. stock injectors are not enough when turbocharged. either way you need some kind of fuel system.
Well I do have the 370cc injectors I haven't put it in cause it's not tuned yet. And yes it's running lean right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

This whole situation is just retarted. I wasn't even gonna chime back in because of the level of stupidity being done to this car.

It kills me to see someone ruine a car thinking they can reinvent the wheel.

Turbo + any amount of air = you need more fuel! not rocket science. I cant even belive you would hook up a turbo thinking you could run it with no tune, no ecu not even a piggy back. Wrong size injectors and just plain lack of thinking things through. This is a recipie for disaster.

Of course our maf will act retarted when it sees an unusual amount of air pass over it. Did you think the turbo wouldn't put more air across it? Your entire situation on trying to not do things right is going to backfire in your face.

Good luck with the time-bomb
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My question was: has it ever ran fine with turbo? At all RPM ranges and loads. Not just idle.
By the way, 3K RPM limit is usually related to the bad MAF sensor. It's a safety feature built into ECU when it shuts down the fuel injectors. Your problem may not be even turbo related.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As of couple of days ago no but right now getting it tuned this weekend going to see whats up

Last edited by FamilyCarXaLV; 06-12-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i plug everything in... fuel injectors, new spark plugs, and FIC
the only problem now... we think the pnp harness is bad. i dont think there is any bent pins on it... we thought of the harness for one thing... it doesnt send any info to the FIC
FIC works cause the computer see it but sending info from the FIC to the ECU it doesnt recognize.
another problem also, it maybe the same cause but ill say this, it doesnt rev past 3k.
been reading other forums then they had a similar problem
super lame
Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned
SL Member

I'm not sure why you guys still want to use this problematic piggy back crap. And this boomslang harness stuff seems to be nothing but issues from everyone i've encountered.

I know it's price point but for the sake of all the BS you deal with and headaches just spend the money and do it right. I see all these people wanting to turbo their ride but cut corners and cheap out on the brain of the system. This is not a cheap hobby nor should it be treated as such.

I'll make this simple for all of you that want to turbo your car but need a plug in wire harness.

Here we go: MP Tuning. (Mitchel Peterson) he wrote most of the programing when he worked at AEM. He has since moved on and had his own mobile tuning shop.

He has a harness and a standalone AEM ECU for the XA XB already made. You have control over the VVTI, real fuel maps, real timing and a list of other cool fetures that the FIC can't even think of doing.

Complete goes for 1,500.00 thats the Full standalone ECU and harness ready to go.

Or keep going down the crappy path with the FIC and boomslang harness which is half the price but 100% of the problems.

I cant for the life in me figure out why most people won't spend a little more or do a little more research for something that makes more sense.

I know this kind of stuff is expensive but alot of you are doing this stuff to your DD's so why not make it as reliable as posssible.

Just don't get the majority of most peoples logic when it comes to "I want to turbo my ride but need to do it on a shoestring budget"
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

it is called tuning on a budget and they don't have a feel for value versus cost and they think time is cheap...I get it, I was once there...but learned re-engineering is more expensive than engineering
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbgod
I'm not sure why you guys still want to use this problematic piggy back crap. And this boomslang harness stuff seems to be nothing but issues from everyone i've encountered.
xBG, I know you've got a lot of experience with this, but your post is basically, "You didn't go with my setup, I know everything, you are stupid". In addition, you're pretty much offending a large portion of the turbo community, both inside and outside of Scion, by trashing ALL piggybacks.

Not everyone needs stand alone. With an automatic transmission and a target of 8-10 psi, stand-alone would be gross overkill as the F/IC is more than sufficient for a safe and reliable turbo. I have had 0 issue with the boomslang harness, and the F/IC, once tuned properly, runs great.

Please try to keep this post constructive, the OP may not have all the experience necessary to troubleshoot his system, which is the whole point of this thread, to gather information and offer solutions, not to trash poor decisions and prey on inexperience. Everyone starts at 0.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

It's not a hit on him it's a constant issue. Not just here but in other forums as well. And I don't run the AEM set-up. I use Haltech Platinum 1000.

I suggested the AEM set up because he can get it ready to go out of the box. And most people that I have delt with have had issues with boomslang harnesses.

Yes a piggyback may be good for you, but no one really uses a auto tranny. your 1 out of 100.

and not all piggy backs are terrible. But for the most part with todays newer engines you need one that can do VVTi or MiTEC or whatever newer car you may have. You will also find most tuners hate piggybacks for they do not do enough to get the best tune.

I just see this same situation far to often. Take it as you like Brian. But I see no reason to take the time and effort to turbo a car and not make it right.

Yeah it would be nice if Toyota was like Honda and had Hondata. But untill we get something like that were stuck with either a half way good tune job or spend a little extra and have all the features that make it right.

We can agree to disagree but ask any tuner what they prefer and what amount of problems they've had with the FIC. Even Paul from dezod will tell you that the FIC is not the way to go.

And this isn't the first time that this same issue has been brought up. Yes we all learn from zero but there is a ton of info available now.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the car is running on stock injectors, and the MAF sensor is attached to the intake pipe or charge pipe on a section which is the same diameter as oem housing........ car will run and rev normal (except when boosting). If it isnt, there is unmetered air entering the motor... meaning there is a leak in between where the sensor reads and what is actually being consumed (air) by the motor.

As far as engine management , we have put out 400whp + scions on piggybacks with no CEL's and drive like oem. Standalone has better overall control odviously, however it takes much more tuning to have a nice running car. Main reason I run a Haltec, for control over primary and secondary rev limiter.

Quick Reply: maf problem