Notices

SC better for a DD than a Trubo...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SC better for a DD than a Trubo...

for anyone who is still trying to decide whether to go with a SC or a Turbo, but wants better maintenance free daily driving, go with a SC. i recently sold my supercharged box and bought a 2g eclipse gsx. while i am definitely going to get much more power out of this new platform, i am starting to find out how much of a pita turbos can be. i kind of miss the hassle free bolt on supercharger, it was so simple. this turbo set up has left me on the side of the road fixing it a few times, mostly charge pipe couplers that blow off. that is easily remedied though, but while cussing after burning my had for the 5th time on the turbo heat shield to replace a blown coupler, i realized that SC really are the way to go for reliable low maintenance daily driving. turbos are fun, but you definitely have too keep up on them. though i do miss my box, at least my new car gives me something to do everyday making sure it wont leave me on the side off the road, hahaha...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice to know...
Old 07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Turbo's won't cause any more problems than a supercharger in theory. Sounds like your Eclipse was just put together like ____.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have had plenty of trouble free experience with superchargers, i had a 97 gtp with a supercharged 3.8 in it, never had issues with it, same with my box. i love my eclipse, i have always liked turbos, but the fact is they are more prone to having problems than a sc and therefore are not as reliable as a dd.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Turbo's won't cause any more problems than a supercharger in theory. Sounds like your Eclipse was just put together like poop.
i guess i should have elaborated for the simple minded... it may not cause additional problems to the motor itself, boost is boost, but i was referring to the system itself. there are far more components with a turbo, also the turbo will not last as long as a roots type blower and will eventually need to be replaced. as far as having issues with factory setups, i have a fmic on my eclipse and that is what was causing issues, setting up the piping, getting it clamped down right, running higher than stock boost levels. i had no problems with the stock set up, but there is greater potential for system problems with a turbo set up, and it can be harder to diagnose than a sc set up because of the additional components of the turbo system. you turn up the boost on a turbo, you have to worry about couplers slipping/blowing wastegate handling the extra boost without spiking or creeping, you turn of the boost on a sc, nothing to worry about, it is too easy, ive done it before. (of course fuel issues have been addressed at this point if you are turning the boost up on either system) bottom line though, and the whole reason i started this thread, is that for the people looking for a reliable daily driver, don't want to worry about excessive maintenance, and want that extra performance gain, should go with a roots blower. if you are prepared to handle the additional maintenance and are looking for straight performance, the turbo is the way to go.... and as far as telling me my mitsu was put together like poop, it will run circles around your econo-coupe...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by EasysBox
i guess i should have elaborated for the simple minded... it may not cause additional problems to the motor itself, boost is boost, but i was referring to the system itself. there are far more components with a turbo, also the turbo will not last as long as a roots type blower and will eventually need to be replaced. as far as having issues with factory setups, i have a fmic on my eclipse and that is what was causing issues, setting up the piping, getting it clamped down right, running higher than stock boost levels. i had no problems with the stock set up, but there is greater potential for system problems with a turbo set up, and it can be harder to diagnose than a sc set up because of the additional components of the turbo system. you turn up the boost on a turbo, you have to worry about couplers slipping/blowing wastegate handling the extra boost without spiking or creeping, you turn of the boost on a sc, nothing to worry about, it is too easy, ive done it before. (of course fuel issues have been addressed at this point if you are turning the boost up on either system) bottom line though, and the whole reason i started this thread, is that for the people looking for a reliable daily driver, don't want to worry about excessive maintenance, and want that extra performance gain, should go with a roots blower. if you are prepared to handle the additional maintenance and are looking for straight performance, the turbo is the way to go.... and as far as telling me my mitsu was put together like poop, it will run circles around your econo-coupe...
*sigh*

You made changes to the vehicle. Problems occurred. Don't blame it because it's a turbo setup, blame yourself for making the changes and not doing it right. You stated yourself that you had no problems with it, UNTIL you made changes. Which means, YOU screwed something up. I guarantee there are people out there running a lot more boost than you without having their couplers falling off everytime they get on it. So you can blame yourself for that one.

Sure, you can add a wastegate in for a problematic component, but you're forgetting about the belt. With a turbo, you don't have to worry about belt slippage, just like w/ a S/C, you don't have to worry about boost spikes.

Also, boost is not boost. Compressed air = compressed air. A turbo doesn't work directly off the engine like a S/C does. S/C are more stressful because they constantly put an extra load on the engine.

As for additional maintenance, both require extra. The only thing that worries me about turbos, is the oil feed/return system, but that's what the oil pressure gauge is for.

Also, go back to 05-06 tCs. Last time I checked, the TRD S/C was the least reliable aftermarket add on for it. Every other thread on these boards was about a failed S/C or a problem with it. Sure, they made things better for 07-08, but I still hear about problems.

I'm not arguing with you that a S/C is less reliable than a turbo, that's why I said 'in theory' before. Both forms of boost are un-reliable due to the simple fact that you're adding more moving parts.

And for the record, you might want to see what I have before you call my car an econo-box.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PWNED
Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by hookedonlucy
PWNED
I didn't pwn him, I came to reason with him.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by hookedonlucy
PWNED
I didn't pwn him, I came to reason with him.
aka PWNED

how's ur turbo?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ive had pretty crappy experience turbo charging my xA. Like CarbonXe said, most of it was due to human error, but i still think EasysBox argument about a SC being better for a DD is true...

If you have a SCION XA/XB(only applies for scion xa/xb) its better to SC then turbo, everyone that has EVER turbo'd an xA/xB has had problems and the list of problems is ENDLESS!!!

Yes, poorly modifying a car can lead to issues, but the list of things to go wrong on a turbo is exponentially longer than that of a SC.

EasysBox is correct and so is CarbonXe. Super charge DONT turbo (experience wins).
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSosa
Ive had pretty crappy experience turbo charging my xA. Like CarbonXe said, most of it was due to human error, but i still think EasysBox argument about a SC being better for a DD is true...

If you have a SCION XA/XB(only applies for scion xa/xb) its better to SC then turbo, everyone that has EVER turbo'd an xA/xB has had problems and the list of problems is ENDLESS!!!

Yes, poorly modifying a car can lead to issues, but the list of things to go wrong on a turbo is exponentially longer than that of a SC.

EasysBox is correct and so is CarbonXe. Super charge DONT turbo (experience wins).
i have not had one issue with my turbo kit. It's been on for 2 years and it has been through many many races.

I had numerious problems with the sc set-up. I mean common... somebody show me one motor EVER MADE that comes from the factory supercharged wih a 4pk drive belt and 1/8th inch role pin instead of a keyed crank. SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW definatly not a good motor to supercharge. The Vitz turbo in Japan has the same motor with a turbo from the factory. Think about that.

Is there anyone else out there who has had both set-ups on their xA or xB? Probably not, and of course the opinions of people are biased on what they have. I have had both. Don't waste ur money on a SC.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: SC better for a DD than a Trubo...

I found your problem

2g eclipse gsx
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Originally Posted by JSosa

i have not had one issue with my turbo kit. It's been on for 2 years and it has been through many many races.

I had numerious problems with the sc set-up. I mean common... somebody show me one motor EVER MADE that comes from the factory supercharged wih a 4pk drive belt and 1/8th inch role pin instead of a keyed crank. SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW definatly not a good motor to supercharge. The Vitz turbo in Japan has the same motor with a turbo from the factory. Think about that.

Is there anyone else out there who has had both set-ups on their xA or xB? Probably not, and of course the opinions of people are biased on what they have. I have had both. Don't waste ur money on a SC.
Not one problem?!?! Guess i have bad luck...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: SC better for a DD than a Trubo...

Originally Posted by sizzlinscion
I found your problem

2g eclipse gsx
that my friend... was funny as ****
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard the turbocharged eclipse had problems with the charger... Did you research the car before buying? I don't mean that exact serial number, I mean the history of the turbocharged version.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A turbo car will have more tuning issues but in my experience superchargers break quicker and have issues more frequently. You just need to make sure everything is done correctly, a problem with couplers is an easy fix and hardly something to complain about, you can just buy some tbolts and be done with it.