Notices

ZPI turbo kit discussion thread**

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ZPI turbo kit discussion thread**

There has been a lot of discussion about the final design of the ZPIracing turbo kit so I thought I would start a discussion thread to answer some questions and get the correct info out there.

This is not an opinion thread please, If you think we are idiots and you can design it better with your eyes closed with one hand behind your back please start a thread called such and tell everyone about it. This is for true questions or concerns ONLY. Mods can you please help us keep this thread on topic as I think there are a lot of legit questions out there.

Let me see if I can answer a few off the bat.

We decided to go this route on the xB for many reasons that I will list below. The first and foremost HEAT!! Every kit on the market for the xB including custom kits all have one thing in common, a lot of heat wrap.. Placing the turbo next the firewall is yes cool and you can show it off to all of your friends but at the end of the day it is not very good for reliability on the xB platform. This extreme heat next to the two main harness, master cylinder etc.. was a risk that we did not feel comfortable taking.

The second reason being oiling, the xB has incorporated oil pan meaning you essentially need to drill and tap the block in order to put a turbo kit on the car. This making the return to stock a very expensive and unpractical endeavor for you to complete if you ever decided to take the kit off or trade the car in etc.. Not to mention the bad situation you would be in the failure of taping it correctly.

The turbo being “remote mounted” is the best design on the market today and we will prove it. The turbo does not provide any less ground clearance than stock. We will offer a lower skid plate option to enclose the entire assembling for you off road xB…  The spool up is the same as conventional mounting the car runs great as we converted the MAF to blow through. The kit can be installed in about 2-3 hours by any shade tree apartment parking lot installer and the end results are one bad butt sounding box…

I will leave the thread open now let me know if you have any questions Nester and I will be watching the threads attempting to get the questions answered quickly,. You can always email or AIM us all of our contact info can be found at www.zpiracing.net/contact
Old 07-15-2006, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet... Thanks for starting this thread ZPI. Now where is everybody with their questions.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st question ok do you all know when you have any pics for the zpi set up for the xa
Old 07-15-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

How much psi is the kit running and will all the stock internals hold up? How about on an auto?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDXA06
1st question ok do you all know when you have any pics for the zpi set up for the xa

The kit will be being assembled in the next two weeks or so!!! We will have pics very soon stay tuned to ZPIracing.net our project xA is in our gallery
Old 07-15-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb
How much psi is the kit running and will all the stock internals hold up? How about on an auto?

The kit is on 7.5psi and yes the Auto is holding up just fine.... We do suggest a tranny cooler and will be releasing a kit very soon...
Old 07-16-2006, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

also will you all be offering an turbo exhuast system for the xa like you all did with the tc
Old 07-16-2006, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kenny,

One thing I think you should touch on a bit for some of the people out there is the spool time and use of the components you chose.

Ie: Some of the other kits on the market spool at 2700RPM range, while from what we've talked about the kit spools a bit higher. What is causing the difference in spool here, is it the use of the larger 16g turbo compared to the 14g that others have used before, piping diameter, etc? Do you see this as an issue considering we redline in the 6k range? Alot of us don't drive high-rev like the Honda people out there.

Another thing you might want to elaborate on is the system placement. Remote mount systems are a great option especially for our car and the limitations. Do you see any major clearance issues for those of us that are slammed? At this time here in Houston I'm slamming exhaust sometimes. Would you suggest that the consumer raise it up some, any advice you can give us besides just being careful over speedbumps? I'm switching to coilovers soon, but in the mean time, have a hard/low drop and the roads in Houston are atrocious!

Thanks!
-j-
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kenny, correct me if I'm wrong on this one:

One thing I'd like to mention and I'm sure plenty of you have wondered is the question of "Can I use my stock/aftermarket header".

The answer is emphatically YES. The ZPI xB kit is designed to mate straight up to the stock or an aftermarket header. While an aftermarket header will give you a bit more flow, ZPI went to great lengths to design the kit for the "average joe" who wants some bolt on power without tons of ancillaries.

Note, it will also mate directly to the new ZPI header for the xB which should be dyno tested this week and hopefully once the design is confirmed will go into production in the near future. (This thing is beautiful!).

-J-
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good questions!!!

Height: The kit sits higher than the front crossmember so we are not the lowest point on the car...The only possible concern would be speed bumps etc... This is really only a concern due to the coming down right after the front tires...

Spool
There is some lag which is not a bad thing in this situation. Our project xB actually is getting 5mpg less now that the turbo is off it currently. The turbo actuallys increases efficency and allows the car to get better mileage. Drive normal car runs better than stock. Need to merge slam the gas 100+whp waiting for you.

Manifold Yes you will be able to run whatever manifold you have on the car....if it is stock that is fine or this may be a good time to get ours <---- Shameless plug
James is doing some third party testing for us currently I am sure he will have some data very soon.

exhaust Yes we will have a full system exhaust for the xB and the xa very very soon. You will continue to see xB/xA parts from ZPIracing all year. Look for our xA time attack car very soon.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

xA time attack??? Sounds interesting
Old 07-17-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you guys tried bumping up the boost with your turbo pistons?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just wondering if the kit is also for the 06?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mat18
I was just wondering if the kit is also for the 06?
The answer is yes. The next kit being produced (this week?) will be going on my 06 5 spd. Note the Emanage does require different wiring, ZPI will be suppllying the wiriing diagram/instructions for 05 and earlier or 06. Make sure when it goes into full production you specify to assure you receive the right instructions.

Besides a full install DVD I'm working on an Emanage wiring DVD. Once I have my kit we'll start the filiming and editing process and most likely make it available from the website.

Expect to see a ZPI boosted 06 in the next couple of weeks (Cough Cough Kenny!)
Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RH_TuningIsLife
Have you guys tried bumping up the boost with your turbo pistons?
I don't think they have yet. Let's try to focus on the actual release state of the kit. 7.5psi should be plenty to get you guys started. If you build up the internals/etc I'm sure you can up the boost via the wastegate later down the line. But the question is.. Why?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of xB drivers are running the Cusco or Tanabe front underbrace on their car. Since this is a remote-mount system underneath the car do you see any potential interference wih the piping hitting the brace or perhaps the wastegate? I can try to supply some pictures for a comparison if needed.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cz3ch
Cough Cough, there already is a ZPI boosted 06, Cough Cough.....
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
Originally Posted by cz3ch
Cough Cough, there already is a ZPI boosted 06, Cough Cough.....
That's right I forgot you and I were both 06's.. LoL.. well one auto, on manual Awesome..
Old 07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering if you could post the AFR chart from the dyno. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rollhard
I was wondering if you could post the AFR chart from the dyno. Thanks!
I'm not sure that the dyno has been performed yet. I can try to get some info for you.

Quick Reply: ZPI turbo kit discussion thread**