Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

05 tC iPod install w/ pics *56k go bake a cake*

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 05 tC iPod install w/ pics *56k go bake a cake*

Sick of the sound quality provided by FM transmitters, today I took the leap and fully installed my 4G 20gig iPod into my factory radio. I decided that I wanted the cord to come up through the change cup/ash tray/cell phone tray and that I wanted the set-up to charge my iPod as well as transmit the music to the factory radio. Install was done following 2wright's write-up available on this board, so I didn't include extra pics of that. Technical info follows the pics. Here is the finished product (click on the pics to get bigger ones.)

Here's a view with the cord and pass-through exposed:

This is a view inside the console, showing where we ran the power supply and where the RCA-to-3.5mm cable ends up. We cut a hole in the bottom of the console, then covered it back up with the carpeting to keep the install looking clean.

A better view of the finished install w/ iPod in place:

And the best part of all: when I disconnect the iPod from the cord, everything can be hidden to look perfectly stock (no attracting thieves to my car):

We used a USA Spec DF-TOY adapter to connect the factory radio to the power supply, a Belkin Auto Kit, via RCA-to-3.5mm (mini jack) cable. The Auto Kit has a 3.5mm jack on the charger, thus allowing us to charge the iPod while it plays. The sound quality is simply outstanding, and the Belkin Auto Kit actually has a volume control which gives you great control over how much (if at all) you want the sound amplified. This is quite simply the best mod for any iPod lover. FYI, the DF-TOY will also work with xA and xB radios. The iPod is wearing an iSkin brand protector.

One caveat: we found out the hard way that the auto-up and -down windows on the tC do not work after disconnecting your battery. They must be normalized after the battery is reconnected, see page 18 of your owner's manual for instructions (make sure you follow the same procedure for your sunroof).

Special thanks to Lee Garber of Cook County Customs for the quality, quick, and inexpensive (UNDER BUDGET!!) install job. Lee can be reached at www.cookcountycustoms.com or 773-973-4376.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the great write up looks pretty straightforward. man as they introduce dvd mp3 player decks who shall be victorious in the gig of music for the $$$ race?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good. I still like the '06 ipod stereo though...that way you get to control everything through your HU, have your ipod hidden at all times and not have to keep taking it out, plus you get the ***** on the stereo - and yes, it DOES charge it, also.......
Old 08-01-2005, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my ipod is set to shuffle so all i gotta press is play/pause when i get in and when i get out. if you have to skip songs then why are they on YOUR ipod?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by yesti
my ipod is set to shuffle so all i gotta press is play/pause when i get in and when i get out. if you have to skip songs then why are they on YOUR ipod?
because i own 45 GB of music that i havent listened to yet.... thats in addition to the 60 on my HDD's that i have. i like good music. and if the song sucks... then i skip it.

not to mention what if youre not in the mood for death metal... and instead some light jazz, or a bit of jazz flute? my music tastes range from opera to Omen... so ...yeah thats why i want controll.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i got gigs of backlog too, some from years ago i might just delete. i have two genres: a song is either 'something i like' or 'something i don't like'. kinda like you and if a death metal song comes on then the next song may very well be jazz flute so i'd just listen to it, but i am also very lazy, hehe.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM

you guys know a way that i can get the stock scion navi to charge my iphone?