Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2006 Radio Glitch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 Radio Glitch?

Love my 06 XB! No major complaints. workmanship is excellent. Few minor complaints.

One thing I have noticed is MY radio changes frequeny once or twice a week by itself.

For instance while driving - it moves just off the station frequency I was listening to all by itself. This situation has NOT gotten worse (since Sept when I received the XB).

I like the radio, like the SSP (Scion Signal Processing) etc. Plays both CDs and MP3s burned to disk just fine. Allows me to plug in the MP3 Player to the radio and play the MP3 player through the radio when I press the AUX button. It covered all the base and most bass needs.

Does anyone else experience this station changing?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed that as well. I put an '06 radio in my '05 tC. It seemed to only start doing the station changing when the weather started getting cold. Otherwise, it has been fine. But I see the same thing you do. Every once in a while it will tune to the next highest (haven't noticed if it goes lower yet) station.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh thank you!!!!

My iwfe thought I was going crazy when I tol what my radio was doing. I called the dealer, and they said they would look into it if I brought it in. Now I can tell them I am not the only one.

My radio does, however, go up or down, no real rhyme or reason. Let us know f you get a fix. I'm gonna call the dealer on Monday, see if there is a TSB or something on it.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey...my radio has been doing the same thing! Not very often...but enough for me to notice! I've only been listening to my XM but it changes on me (and goes up a station...never down.) If you hear from your dealer anything about this problem, please post it. I'm curious to know what happens. If it gets worse I will bring in my box...but for right now, I'll just change the channel back.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How often does your radio shift frequency?

Mine happens every few days sometimes daily. Not a lot But it is happening.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine does the same thing. I don't have much hope that Scion will fix it though, because I put a subwoofer in and had to spice into the harness. They will probably try to blame the station changing on me.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default radio

Yep, mine does the same frequency shift, about every 2-3 days and always up 0.2mHz. I just got the car 10 days ago, and will talk to the service dept. when I take it in for my first oil change. I love driving the Box otherwise!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Going on almost 4 months....no problem here.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scinergy

chalk up one more for the radio changing thing.... It only seems to happen for me within a few blocks of when I first start driving. I think it happens maybe twice a week..... I honestly don't know what a dealer could tell us. It would almost have to be an internal glitch in the head unit. I thought maybe it was connected to the steering wheel controls, but those only change to other preset stations, and mine moves one station lower, which is just static. Plus the xB dosen't have steering wheel controls right?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

hmmm my radio sometimes changes songs when i shift from 1st to 2nd when its freezing out. lol im dead serious too. it only happened a couple times but it was weird none-the-less... i always thought i was crazy but now that someone else mentioned it i feel a little bit relieved.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

Put me down for the channel changing thing too. It happened today as a matter of fact. Had the car for almost a month with about 500mi. on it now. This is the 2nd. time we noticed it. One other thing relating to the radio, does anyone notice that fade between 5 to 6 to the rear puts it nearly all in the back, and back to 5 puts it almost all in the front, at least from the drivers perspective. I wish there was something of a more gradual adjustment. Not a big deal worth taking it in for on it's own. I hate leaving my car at the dealer. Something always gets broken or scratched that wasn't there before and not noticed until it's too late to prove. Other than that, the car has been great with no problems, though it's only got 500mi. on the odo.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mark me up to, bugs the crap out of me. Always does it when my XM is getting really good
Old 12-05-2005, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

YESS!! Mine does the same thing and it has been weirding me out! Glad to find out I'm not CRAZY. Today it snuck off of the Christmas station (GF wanted to hear it), and I was accused of trying to change the channel! haha... I was like "No baby, I swear the radio changed the channel itself!"

It seems to happen close to home, and even when it's not cold (san diego is never really that cold).

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member

Well, mine doesn't do it but there are a bunch of guys on here that have the problem. There has all ready been a post for this topic so search it and you can find more xboxers with the same problem. If you guys get a survey from Scion, you can put that in. But as for me.....lucky I guess.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member

Mine does the same thing in my 06' I got the same basic cd deck as the one in the pic, but does anyone know if this problem is true in the higher model stock decks????
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess the real question is - will this reamain a minor annoyance or become a bigger problem later on?

The more info we gather on this the easier it will be to present it when we go in for service. We are not acting alone anymore with a problem we can not demonstrate for the dealer.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tvc15_2000
I guess the real question is - will this reamain a minor annoyance or become a bigger problem later on?

The more info we gather on this the easier it will be to present it when we go in for service. We are not acting alone anymore with a problem we can not demonstrate for the dealer.
HERE HERE I second that
Old 12-05-2005, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called Scion on this today. They said they have no info on this problem. I reported it as a probelm and they gave me a reference number in case it turns out to be a problem in the future.

You can reach Scion customer care at
800-707-4502 Make sure they give you a reference number before the call ends.

They gave the universal advice to bring it in to the dealer. Since there are no diagnostics for the radio and I can not duplicate the probelm at will - I thought that would be a waste of time.

I will wait for the next oil change and press the matter then.

In any event getting your problem reported will not hurt and it may help. They will want your VIN # when you call.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chalk another one up, mine too
Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an '06 with the iPod HU. I have not noticed this problem. but then again I only use the radio a max of 20 minutes every weekday. the rest is all iPod

Quick Reply: 2006 Radio Glitch?