Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2006 xA Light Reminder Buzzer Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 2006 xA Light Reminder Buzzer Not Working

Hi,

We noticed recently that the light reminder buzzer is no longer working. It also appears the seat belt buzzer as well as the key reminder buzzer also appear to not be working.

I've tried looking to see if there's some "secret code" for disabling/enabling the buzzer and ran across one for the seat belt but I think it may be for newer vehicles as it doesn't seem to do anything on our car.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a code specific to (or that will work on) an 06 xA for any/all of the buzzers. Or a code list in general for this car.

Or if not, could it be one or more of the fuses? The tail lights and dome light work so I don't think it would be those fuses. Not really sure but my wife has killed the battery a few times leaving the lights on so it'd be really nice to get this fixed.

Thanks for any help and if this isn't the right forum, I'm not sure which forum this should go into.

Thanks!

Mic
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi!

Did you ever track this down? I have a similar issue w/a Gen-1 xB.

Thanks,

Doug

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-07-2021 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default I was able to repair this problem today on my wife's 2006 xA..

Hello,
I was able to repair this problem today on my wife's 2006 xA. This repair is not for a novice. I removed the instrument cluster. Removed the white cover behind the gauges. Look for the round Piezo and carefully remove the round cover. This unit is soldered to the circuit board so carefully only remove the round cover. There is a round disc under the cover. This round disc rides on two contacts that will remain on the instrument cluster. Leave these alone. I used a Dremel to polish the disc area where the contacts were touching. Reassemble everything being extra careful when putting the round cover back on the instrument cover. (this is not meant to be a serviceable item so if you damage it the only way to get one that works is to buy the whole instrument unit!).

After reassembly turn on your lights and open the door. Your buzzer should now work ! Mine did. Yeah ! ! !

This repair is not for the novice. I am not responsible for any damage. I also want to thank this message board for helping me find out the location of this little bugger! ! !

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-07-2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Fixed: 2006 xA Light Reminder Buzzer Not Working

Thanks to sr5nut for pushing me in the right direction.

I followed your post and pulled out the combination meter (instrument cluster) and pulled the back and opened the piezo and cleaned it but that didn't fix. When I put the cluster back in and turned the lights on and opened the door I could VERY faintly hear the piezo. So faintly that there's no way I would've been able to hear it if everything was back in place so I took your instructions a step further and replaced the piezo altogether and that fixed the problem!

In case anyone else has this problem here's a step by step of what I did. Note, you will need a new 12VDC Piezo Mini Buzzer (Radio Shack Part Number: 273-0074, or equivalent. $3.99 at Radio Shack) and a soldering iron (and, of course, soldering skills) Take your time and be careful (I won't be held responsible if you try this and it doesn't work or something else breaks.). This took me about an hour or so:

1) Remove Combination Meter (instrument panel/cluster/gauges). Remove 2 plastic screws from the top of the bezel. It should then slide out. Next, remove 3 screws from the combination meter itself (one on the left side, 2 at the bottom on either side of the meter). The meter should slide right out. There are two connectors at the bottom that can easily be removed.

2) Remove the back white plastic by carefully unclipping the plastic tabs. This will expose the circuit board. The piezo is the black round raised component with a hole in the center (the rest of the black raised items are the gauges and trip meter reset switch). When looking at the meter from the front (as if it were installed in the dashboard), the piezo will be on the upper left side of the back.

3) Remove the front clear plastic by unclipping the plastic tabs. The gauge needles are now accessible. If you have gloves, put them on now. Remove all 3 gauge needles by very gently, but somewhat firmly pulling on them. The gloves will prevent finger oil from getting on the gauges themselves.

4) I was not able to completely remove the circuit board due to what appears to be a tab on the fuel needle spindle preventing the board from popping out completely. I didn't want to force this but I was able to pry the circuit board away from the rest of the combination meter by disengaging the tabs holding it in while gently prying with a flathead screwdriver. You only need to pry it enough to get to the solder points of the piezo. I then wedged the same screwdriver between the board and meter to keep it pried away enough to get to the solder joints of the piezo.

4) Note which side of the piezo is positive (mine had a white dot with a plus on the right side (before removing and when looking at the back, the side/solder joint closest to the center of the meter is positive). Very carefully use a soldering iron to desolder the existing piezo and pull it out. Then, heat up one solder joint enough to get one leg of the piezo in place, then the other (note: you may have to bend the legs of the new piezo buzzer for it to fit, it does not need to be flush with the circuit board, just in enough to get the back plastic reinstalled later). Gently tug on the piezo to confirm it's solidly in place. I didn't have to end up using any additional solder to do this, the existing solder worked fine.

5) Clip the circuit board back in place

6) Reinstall the gauge needles and make sure they point properly. For the speedometer and tachometer, gently put the needle back on the spindle while pointing it at some number above zero. Push it on far enough that you can then turn the needle towards zero and feel the spindle stop. Continue turning the needle until it aligns with zero, then gently, but firmly push it back in place all the way. You'll feel it when it's all the way back in place. The gas needle is a little different - it has two plastic pins that makes it impossible to mis-align the needle, just get them aligned and push in place. You'll feel it when it drops into place properly.

7) If you were smart enough to wear gloves when removing and reinstalling the needles (unlike me), you can probably skip this step. Check the gauges for any finger-oil spots. If you have any, just gently wipe them off with a soft, non-abrasive, lint-free cloth. You might have to gently rub a little to get them.

Reinstall the clear plastic over the gauges.

9) Reinstall the back plastic cover over the circuit board.

10) Reinstall meter by connecting the 2 connectors and test by turning the lights on and opening the door with the car turned off and the kay out of the ignition. Hopefully you'll hear a buzz. You should also hear five buzzes if you turn the key to on without the driver's side seatbelt being clicked in place. If all works, reinstall the 3 combination meter screws, then the bezel and the plastic screws and enjoy not running your battery down anymore since you'll once again be reminded if you leave your lights on.

Good luck!

Mic
Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default It worked!

After Killing my wifes car twice I said Elephant this... and used this Opened the buzzer on the back, cleaned the center circle on the slim disc so it was shiny again and reinstalled. It worked!
Old 11-06-2021, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sr5nut
Hello,
I was able to repair this problem today on my wife's 2006 XA. This repair is not for a novice. I removed the instrument cluster. Removed the white cover behind the gauges. Look for the round piezo and carefully remove the round cover. This unit is soldered to the circuit board so carefully only remove the round cover. There is a round disc under the cover. This round disc rides on two contacts that will remain on the instrument cluster. Leave these alone. I used a dremel to polish the disc area where the contacts were touching. Reassemble everything being extra careful when putting the round cover back on the instrument cover. (this is not meant to be a serviceable item so if you damage it the only way to get one that works is to buy the whole instrument unit!).
After reassembly turn on your lights and open the door. Your buzzer should now work ! Mine did. Yeah ! ! ! This repair is not for the novice. I am not responsible for any damage. I also want to thank this message board for helping me find out the location of this little bugger! ! !
This method generally worked for me. Except cleaning the disc by itself didn't fix the problem. There are two prongs under the metal disc that are supposed to press against the disc with a bit of tension when the unit is fully pressed together. After cleaning, it seems the prongs were not pressing with enough tension. Probably just due to age. I very slightly and carefully bent the prongs out so there'd be a bit more tension with the disc when pressed back together. That fixed it.

Probably the riskiest part of this fix is removing the piezo cover and not accidentally prying the main piezo unit itself off of the circuit board. The cover has some little notches in it. If you put something like a tiny flathead into one of those notches and press up into the rounded carve out of the notch, you'll be sure you're prying up only on the cover and not the main piezo unit.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:01 AM
SL Member

I'm having this same problem but, reading this thread, it sounds like a lot of work to fix, as well as being a risky repair if I accidentally break something.

Is there a simpler workaround? I'm guessing no, so I am disheartened that I will simply have to get in the habit of not leaving my lights on. (Strangely, a habit I only developed since the buzzer stopped working!)