Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket CD changer in glove box/area

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Aftermarket CD changer in glove box/area

Anyone think that it is even remotely possible to somehow squeeze a pioneer 12 disc changer either in the glove box, or in that shelf area on the passenger side (xB)....might take some cutting, I think.

Just wondering if anyone has tried and succeeded (or failed)

Thanks!

--Matt
Old 12-23-2004, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

do u already have the changer?did u try putting it in?

if not im pretty sure they make small enough ones that u could even put in the arm rest of the tc.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok so i know this is a crazy old thread BUT, I am now pursuing the CD changer glove box install since i received a Sony CDX-757MX (10 disc) for christmas ...

... it will not fit unless i cut out some of the rear of the glovebox, which i am fine with, however, I would certainly also have to cut a long slot into the air box that resides behind the glove box .... something tells me that might be a bad thing ... can i get some input please?

... I really don't want to trade the changer in for the 6 disc changer (lesser sound quality and no mp3 playback) ... however, I am very certain that the 6 disc changer will fit ... I would still need to cut out some of the back of the glove box, but, it would not interfere with the air box at all ...

thoughts please and thank you!!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok, I just took a look at the manual ... on page 55-31 (Air Conditioner Blower Assembly) ... you will see a picture of the "Blower Motor Cover" ... this is the piece where I want to cut a rectangular hole ... essentially the back edge of the top of the changer would end up moving into a rectangular slot i would cut into the Blower Motor Cover .... if it needs an air tight seal I can probably do a decent job of it ... however, judging by the flimsy cloth like flap that is on that piece, it doesn't look like anything completely air tight is all that necessary .... hope you guys understand what I am talking about ... hehe
Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok so this appears to be a dead topic ... however i will still post my findings just in case someone else decides to attempt this in the future ...

I found a scionlife thread that talks about the blower motor cover
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93376

here's another related topic on another site ... good pics of the cover but also good info if your xb's AC system isn't cooling "properly"
http://www.scionbeat.com/Ownership/AC/AC007-04.pdf

It appears that the cover simply gives the AC system a chance to recirculate cabin air ... or even block it out when you are pumping in air from the outside ...

therefore I do believe that I will be able to cut into the cover below the flap ... i foresee needing to use some weather stripping of some type so that when the glovebox is closed the cd changer will help maintain the seal on the blower motor cover ... might need to make sure the cd changer itself is sealed rather well too ... I'm afraid that air passes through the glove box itself quite a bit ... probably not a good thing for any type of electrical equipment, especially if any type of dust is involved ... i will certainly be installing the DIY air filter when i do this mod

anyway ... I plan on cutting into at least the glove box this weekend ... will try to remember to take some pics too ... more later!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

wow ... still a dead thread ...

well, I made a little progress this weekend. the good news at this point is that i might not have to cut into the blower motor cover. I will instead first try shaving down some of the plastic underneath the shelf above the glovebox ... basically, the changer sticks out a little higher than expected, yet still under the glovebox's locking mechanism ... i can actually force it closed at this point ... it appears to only be rubbing on some of the plastic on top when i try to close it ...

anyway, here are some pics ... the cut in the box was made freehand with a dremel tool and without measuring anything ... so, yeah, i eyeballed it all and it looks like hell, BUT, you can't see any of the cut when you install it ...

I usually only have time to work on things on the weekends so it will be a while til i finish ... hopefully all i have left to do is:
1.shave some plastic above the glovebox
2.make some holes for routing the audio cables