Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Amp prob

Wassup fellow Scioners...I gotta prob with my Amp I just installed and I am ing I did not blow my speakers (tweets) from it! Okay heres the install:

My MTX TA8502 2-CH amp that I used to power (2) MTX T6001 6 1/2 separates. I wired the fronts L/R to the crossovers then to the 1st Ch, and the rears L/R to the crossovers then to the 2nd Ch. I'm wondering if the amp (rated 750rms/1500pk) blew the tweets out :?(3 of them) except the Rear Left, odd that it's the only one working. The T6001s are rated at 90rms/180pk ea. Please tell me I did not blow them. The amp was being used for my T9512-04 Sub but I just sold it and decided to install the separates then. So it was already install, and I just re-did the wirings for the speakers. One other thing, the amp automatically comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on, which has never happened before. The remote turn on wire (purple) is hooked to a switch that I use to disengage the amp myself. Now even with the switch at OFF (wire separated by the switch), the amp still on's. Is this normal??? Please help me guys if you know what the Heck just went wrong.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

sounds like the amp is too strong for the speakers. as far as the amp turning on without the remote wire, either the amp has a short internally with the remote wire or your switch is stuck in the closed position.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, so the speakers might be blown...what do you think I can do bout the amp?? To find out if its an internal prob or not?? There is two warning light on the amp "SHORT" and "THERMAL", but none lights up when it is on...thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude amp is too strong. Even turned down all the way it will prolly be too much. But i think your switch is shorted closed. Or you wired up another remote wire to the amp and then wired up another wire to a switch? It happens.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Dude amp is too strong. Even turned down all the way it will prolly be too much. But i think your switch is shorted closed. Or you wired up another remote wire to the amp and then wired up another wire to a switch? It happens.
I know, I know...just figured out myself that the amp is way too strong for them...sheesh now I gotta go out and buy 4 new tweets. I want the same one that came with the set so I'm lookin for some TX1000s, bout 85bks on ebay..wow! Pulled the player out the dash and found out the amp comes on when the player is turned on, but its turning on through the speaker RCA's...is that weird or what?? Anyways, disable the install before I blow my mids...waiting for my 4-ch amp. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From your description, sounds like you've got it wired wrong. When you switched it from the subs to the new speakers, did you switch the built-in filter from lo-pass to hi-pass? If not, that could make your speakers sound blown, even if they're ok. Did you try to see how loud the system would go, ignoring all the distortion? That could have damaged them, it just depends on what you did...

No, the amp isn't "too powerful" for the speakers, provided the gain is set correctly, you know how to use the volume control on your head unit, and don't turn it up further when you hear distortion. Simply hooking up the speakers to the amp and playing music at normal volume won't damage the speakers, just because the amp is rated to put out more than the speakers are rated to handle. Watts don't blow speakers, exceeding their thermal or mechanical limits is what damages them. You could run those speakers all day with a 5,000 watt amp, no problems at all if you know what you're doing. Sure, the amp has more power than what your speakers need, but there's nothing wrong with using it for them, if implemented correctly.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
From your description, sounds like you've got it wired wrong. When you switched it from the subs to the new speakers, did you switch the built-in filter from lo-pass to hi-pass? If not, that could make your speakers sound blown, even if they're ok. Did you try to see how loud the system would go, ignoring all the distortion? That could have damaged them, it just depends on what you did...

No, the amp isn't "too powerful" for the speakers, provided the gain is set correctly, you know how to use the volume control on your head unit, and don't turn it up further when you hear distortion. Simply hooking up the speakers to the amp and playing music at normal volume won't damage the speakers, just because the amp is rated to put out more than the speakers are rated to handle. Watts don't blow speakers, exceeding their thermal or mechanical limits is what damages them. You could run those speakers all day with a 5,000 watt amp, no problems at all if you know what you're doing. Sure, the amp has more power than what your speakers need, but there's nothing wrong with using it for them, if implemented correctly.
Thanks a whole lot on this...okay, before changing anything in reference to the speakers and sub..I turned down all eq's and yes, did switch the filter to high pass. I still have the manual for the amp and followed exactly what needed to be done from switching the sub to speakers. After, everything seemed to work fine the next day, afternoon and then later that night I noticed only one tweeter was playing. Freaked out, I checked all fuses, wirings, crossovers and the amp again. Tested all three tweets, not working, tested the last one and it played..it probably is just blown anyways..