Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Another Error 4 Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another Error 4 Post

I have been experiencing the error 4 code on my 6 disc changer for about a year now. It's never really been a big deal until last week. Normally I would shut the car off, restart it, and the error 4 code would go away. Last week it would not go away no matter what I did. So, I scheduled an appointment with the dealer and took the car in. The service manager I talked to said that they would most likely replace the radio. He didn't seem surprised I was having this problem. At that point I was happy I purchased the extended warranty. (almost 60K miles on the clock) Well, after waiting one hour the service manager comes up to me and says that they cannot duplicate the problem. I couldn't believe it!! The error message had been on the radio for 4 full days and would not go away no matter what I did. I told him I was amazed that they couldn't duplicate it. I suggested to him that they try ejecting discs and inserting them. That's what always seemed to occur right before the error 4 code popped up on the display. So, he goes back and about 30 minutes later comes back and says that everything is working fine. I suggested that I leave and drive around for a little bit and once the error 4 message pops up I will come back and leave the car running so they can see it. He shrugs this suggestion off and tells me that he will have to call the warranty department to see if they will cover it since they couldn't get the error message to pop up on the display. Another hour passes by and he comes back and says that the only option is to remove the entire stereo and send it in to be checked and repaired. He then adds that it will take two weeks. I told him if that is the only option I guess that is what I have to do. So now I am without a stereo for two weeks and have a nice big hole in my dash. It really sucks since I drive about an hour each day. Has anyone ever had an experience like this?? I was surprised that they didn't just take care of it or take me up on my offer to come back when the error was displayed. I am very annoyed with this dealership and will definitely take my car to the competitors in the future. Sorry for the long rant but I am ____ed off about the whole situation!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same problem then I ripped it out and stuck an Alpine in it's place. Problem solved and took me 45min. Only problem was that I had to make a custom wiring harness.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Once I get it back and put back in and there are problems with it in the future, I think i will go that route. I just don't have the cash to do it right now.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

I had the problem when i had the OEM 6 disc, the problem was that it was jammed. You just gotta take it to the dealer, and get it replaced, luckily i had it under warranty...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am under warranty as well, but two weeks with a big hole in my dash seems a little excessive. Hopefully I'll get all my CDs back too!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

You should, they send it to Toyota, they actually, if I remember correctly, had to mail me my CD's i had in there, because they had to pry the ____ing thing open.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

60K on the ODO with extended warranty

I doubt that the radio would be cover. It depends on the contract on your extended warranty. Call them up about what car parts are listed in your coverage.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the platinum warranty so it's covered. I made sure before I brought it in.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 6 disc is giving me an error 3! anyone know what that is?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update...My radio is installed, after three weeks. Unfortunately, the dealership stripped the threads for the heating/cooling control ***** and now they won't stay on securely. I won't ever go back there...morons!