Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AudioFormz xB Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow, can you say *bite* ??

looks like someone finally ripped off the Image Dynamics/SPFR sub enclosure, except they added that funky hump around the sub....

The SPFR enclosure is $325 and that INCLUDES a Image Dynamics ID 12 v.3 12" Sub!

Old 04-28-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where are you seeing the SPFR for $350? Last time I checked it was $550 which is outragous.

I like this new one but IMHO $250 is just too much for something that is going to be mass produced, Around $125-150 is more in the correct range as it would take another $100-150 to get a sub and then amp etc.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like it with the hump. I thought spfr was 500 too. That's what I saw on their website. Now that is an outrageous price. I think 250 is too much still, probably 175-200 would be a better price for a mass produce enclosure, Because single enclosure sub boxes range anywhere from 50-125 dollars depending on the brand.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

pm me or SPFRBOX for the SPFR enclosure.

the price is $325 + Tax and Shipping

The SPFR/Image Dynamics enclosure is made from a composite plastic enclosure that sounds WAY better than any fiberglass box (the original SPFR enclosures were made from glass, i had one before we switched it out for the production piece and the new one sounds WAY better)

AND it comes with an Image Dynamics ID 12 v.3 12" Subwoofer (which by itself retails for over $200, just do a google search) that the enclosure was designed for to produce the best sound!

I'll update the SPFR.com website to reflect the newer pricing, Jon's been selling them over the phone for that price and forgot to have me change the site, sorry for any confusion.

- Brian
Old 04-30-2004, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this new 10" box looks pretty cool, but i wouldn't underestimate how nice the SPFR box is either. i don't want to steal this thread away from the company who started it, but i do want to say that the image dynamic subs are not bad at all. image dynamics is a small, high end speaker company that hand builds their product and stands by what they make. their customers have won numerous awards for SPL as well as quality in competition.

i guess you could say that about any of the high end speaker manufactuers, but i wanted to let everyone know that image dynamics isn't some generic speaker SPFR just threw in to raise the price of the box. the size of the box is perfect for that sub and it sounds great. with the right 10" sub, i'm sure that other box sounds good too. i haven't heard it though. you can get a speaker grill to put over the speaker and still be able to use the trunk. i never use my trunk though since there is so much space in the back seat area.

anyway, for those of you who want to pay $100 for a fiberglass box. you guys are crazy. even if someone was stupid enough to sell a fiberglass box that cheap, it would probably be so poorly designed and built that it wouldn't be worth buying. might as well buy the bazooka tube from scion that so many people got and were disappointed with.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"anyway, for those of you who want to pay $100 for a fiberglass box. you guys are crazy. even if someone was stupid enough to sell a fiberglass box that cheap, it would probably be so poorly designed and built that it wouldn't be worth buying."

Your half right! I may be crazy for selling our enclosure for $199, but not stupid! IF that comment was directed toward me. It's crazy because I'm not making one penny from it! But its called marketing and promoting your product, especially a new one. Word of mouth is what sells our products. Our enclosures are not poorly designed, nor cheap and I encourage everyone who purchases our enclosure from this site to post a review about it, good or bad! We stand behind our product 100%! If you don't like it, return it. Simple as that!

A lot of people have also asked why our enclosure is designed for a 10" sub? The primary reason for this is the air space of our enclosure. Our enclosure has an air space of approximatley .70 ft^3. There are many 10" subs on the market that work extremely well in this airspace. Therefore, you have more subs to choose from. Second, the mounting depth of our enclosure is approximately 5 1/2". Subs are getting larger and deeper baskets are becoming the norm today and most 12" subs (and a lot of 10" subs now) have a deeper mounting depth requirment. So the reason again for a 10" enclosure is to give you more choices. A 10" sub in a properly size enclosure can sound a lot better and louder (especially in the lower freq range) than many 12" subs in an incorrect size enclosure. I do not know the air space of the SPFR enclosure but, I will say that ID subs work very well in small air space requirements, but they are one of the few.

Another reason for the 10" enclosure is that we are coming out with our own 10" sub (should be available in a couple of months) for this enclosure and our others. It is designed specifically for this enclosure and air space!

Hope this info helps.

Keep Jammin,

--Ronnie
www.audioformz.com
Old 04-30-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet I want one :D
Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Besk one
wow, can you say *bite* ??

looks like someone finally ripped off the Image Dynamics/SPFR sub enclosure, except they added that funky hump around the sub....
Dang Brian, that's kind of harsh. Everyone has ideas, and everyone changes them to meet their needs. SPFR came out w/ a CAI, I didn't see any complaining when Injen, AEM, and others were released afterwards.

Look at all of the similarly designed wheels out there. I don't see wheel manufacturers complaining.

Let's look at this neutrally w/o taking sides. If you have an idea, produce a product, and then say, your best friend comes out w/ a similar product, are you going to support him, or are you going to bad mouth him/her.

I know Matrix (which was released before the Scion) owners who have the same style set-up in their cars. I didn't see them complaining when SPFR Jon released his enclosure.

See where I'm coming from? I've met Jon, and haven't met Ronnie. I'm not saying one person is better than another.

We're all Scion enthusiasts.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey $200 is fine. i said $100 was crazy. and i wasn't talking about audioformz. i am talking about some other companies who copy people's designs but make them cheaper and less sturdy then sell them dirt cheap to people trying to save some cash. but why would you sell a product and not make any money off it? i mean, if that's what you want to do, cool. but you should be making a profit. it's a lot of work to do fiberglass.

i will not put any company down for putting out a product. i do agree that the ID12 is one of the only speakers that will fit and sound really good in the SPFR enclosure, but that is why it's sold as a package. the 10" box is good for people to get their own subwoofer, but hopefully they are smart enough to get a speaker that requires .70 cubic feet of airspace or you will not get optimum bass levels. anyway, i have an SPFR fiberglass enclosure with an arc audio amp and i think it sounds great. it's even a little too loud for me sometimes. ok, not really. but it's loud. so i'm happy.

anyway, i think putting an enclosure back there is a great idea and it's only a matter of time before other companies start making knockoff enclosures in 12 and 10" versions for the xB, since they're becoming so popular right now. the only thing you can do is just promote your product and hopefully people will buy it.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the hump part is cool but kinda defeats the purpose cause you still lose some of your trunk space. and main purpose of the box being located back there is so you can use your trunk. i don't want to rain on your guys parade but the SPFR/ID is a better design. i'm not saying this cause they one of my sponsors, it's just straight up facts.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by rampagesd
the hump part is cool but kinda defeats the purpose cause you still lose some of your trunk space. and main purpose of the box being located back there is so you can use your trunk. i don't want to rain on your guys parade but the SPFR/ID is a better design. i'm not saying this cause they one of my sponsors, it's just straight up facts.
Problem is, there is a need for a grille or some strong cover that can take some weight on it.

Andrew
Old 04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you can put a grill on the SPFR box - there are a few guys running grills on their SPFR enclosures - you just gotta go down to like an al and ed's, or car audio shop and pick one up - they come in standard sizes and clup aroudn the edge of the speaker.

i don't run one because i hardly ever use my trunk, and i like the way it looks better with no grill

- Brian
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you'd need a grill for either box. i got a grill with mine and the grill sits flush with the top of the box so i got full trunk space. i put my records and equipment on top of it all the time w/ no problems.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi All,

For all of those interested, below is a pic of our xB enclosure carpeted with an optional grill. This enclosure is carpeted in black. I'm still looking for a closer carpet match to the xB. If anyone has a source, please let me know. Anyway, the carpet gives ya an idea of what the enclosure will look like. And with the carpet and grill combo, you will have a fully functional cargo area, without having to worry about scratching your paint or damaging your sub! Let me know if anyone is interested in the grill. It's a $10 accessory and available in black or chrome.

Keep Jammin,

--Ronnie
www.audioformz.com

Old 05-03-2004, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

Yeah so... back to the price...

Actually no, I was wondering if anyone makes a glass style enclosure that sits over the shock towers in the back... maybe angles the sub towards the back glass a little.
Don't mean to be going aginst the grain here, but it seems to me that this style box would stop the whole "gonna scratch my paint/ I can't use my hatch area" problem.

And as far as feed back, painting it the color of the carpet or the interior would work. But I have a Hot Lava Box, so naturally, i'd like to see that color, even though it will probably run it right out of my price range.

Also Mr. Speaker box man, you got any designs for 2 10's??? I have two old skool Kicker Solos that I want in xB and of course, I don't want a boring box.

Thanks for offering us scion folks a deal!

L8ter.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hey

LavabB
Since your near Grand Prairie, hit up Expert Car Audio off of Pioneer.
talk to Jimmy. He was actually thinking up some box designs like your wanting for the xB. He's a cool guy and great to deal with.

Tell him you talked to me "phatfront" Mark
Old 05-04-2004, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the only design we have as of now, although we are working on doing the same design on the other side of the storage area. This will give you a dual 10" setup that you can purchase piece by piece. We may also offer this side as an amp rack as well. You will have to lose the spare though. Keep in touch if interested.

--Ronnie
www.audioformz.com
Old 05-04-2004, 06:26 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rcherry2
This is the only design we have as of now, although we are working on doing the same design on the other side of the storage area. This will give you a dual 10" setup that you can purchase piece by piece. We may also offer this side as an amp rack as well. You will have to lose the spare though. Keep in touch if interested.

--Ronnie
www.audioformz.com
Hmm, an amp rack for two Arc Audio amps would be nice!
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member

Ronnie,
Will this enclosure ever be offered without a cut-out? Kind of a DIY kit. I have two kicker L7 8" subs that may fit nicely as far as volume is concerned.

Thanks.
Mike
Old 05-08-2004, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I would definitely be interested in a custome box for the other side of the rear compartment. An amp rack on that side would be sweet.

I am thinking about this Boston acoustic sub for the back

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/popup...2&ProductID=95

I am wondering whether it would matter if it has .07 Cubic feet vs. the recommended .05 Cubic feet. Any info would help.

Quick Reply: AudioFormz xB Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure