Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Battery Safety?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member

Default Battery Safety?

I installed a 4 channel amp, front components, and 2 12" subs my self yesterday.

It was my first time installing car stereo, I think I'm ready to try custom fiberglass enclosures now.

But really I had no trouble other than realizing I have no idea how to keep from shocking myself or worse when working with the battery other than not to touch the positive and negative at once. Outside of that im ignorant of all other battery related knowledge. What I did was oh so cautiously unbolted the positive red side of the battery terminal and put a small rag between the battery terminal and terminal connector to prevent unexpected conntact.

What all should I know about battery safety, and working with the battery so that I don't end up really hurting my self or my car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

thats the main safety precaution

removing the positive terminal

glad you are ok
Old 07-11-2004, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It is actually safer to remove the negative cable first. That way if you touch the wrench to anything metal while removing the cable you dont short the battery. Once the negetive cable is off you can remove the positive without shorting to ground, unless you touch the negitive terminal on the batery itself with the wrench you are using.

BTW you really can't get shocked by DC current but, I can burn if you short circuit a wire or tool.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Other battery safety issue: Cleaning battery acid off of your hands and rags.
Any time you touch your battery or use a rag to wipe down/clean your battery, do not use that rag to clean anything else on your car. Throw it in a bucket of water with some baking soda, and wash your hands in the soda water, too. All batteries spit acid to some degree, and you don't want to spread it to other parts of your car or to your clothes, or worse yet, to your face.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member

Is there a reset code for the stock radio on 2005 xB? I asked this a moment ago mixed in with some other questions, but this thread seems more approprate.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

remove the negative terminal.

if you remove the positive terminal and there are electronics that have capacitors in the the will still have a positive charge. (amps, caps, computers...) they will still short out (spark) or be ruined from accidental mishaps.

always remove the negative for future work. safer and it's easier. (no fuse holders to worry about)
Old 07-12-2004, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you everyone, I will feel a lot better the next time I go to work in that area. Truely appreciated.

:D